    reviews about Cambridge Camera Exchange. Can anyone tell an encouraging
    story about them to allay my fears, or is Cambridge Camera Exchange a
    business to avoid?

    Jon, May 31, 2004

  2. Jon

    Jo Guest

    I think you answered your own question.

    "Jon" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I found a great price on a camera bag at Cambridge Camera Exchange in NYC,
    > on their website. But it's been weeks since I ordered the bag and nothing
    > has come. Now, belatedly, I've searched on the web and found only

    horrible

    Jo, May 31, 2004

  3. Jon

    Annika1980 Guest

    >From: "Jon"

    >Can anyone tell an encouraging
    >story about them to allay my fears, or is Cambridge Camera Exchange a
    >business to avoid?

    "Caveat Emptor," which loosely translated means "you're screwed."

    Annika1980, May 31, 2004
  4. "Jon" <> wrote in message
    > I found a great price on a camera bag at Cambridge Camera Exchange in NYC,
    > on their website. But it's been weeks since I ordered the bag and nothing
    > has come. Now, belatedly, I've searched on the web and found only

    horrible
    > reviews about Cambridge Camera Exchange. Can anyone tell an encouraging
    > story about them to allay my fears, or is Cambridge Camera Exchange a
    > business to avoid?

    No, no encouraging stories. In fact, theft and scam appears to be their most
    defining characteristic. Their reviews at
    http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2046.html are the worst I've ever seen.
    Even a simple Google search on their name brings up pages and pages of
    nothing but consumer complaints and stories of investigations.

    No offense meant, but you just sent your credit card number out into the
    internet ether to a company that you had never heard of, and never
    investigated. These guys are worse than just scam artists, they are outright
    thieves and the most basic investigation would have shown you that in a
    matter of about 3 mouse-clicks. You got screwed, and you deserve it.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, May 31, 2004
  5. Howard McCollister wrote:

    > No, no encouraging stories. In fact, theft and scam appears to be their most
    > defining characteristic. Their reviews at
    > http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2046.html are the worst I've ever seen.
    > Even a simple Google search on their name brings up pages and pages of
    > nothing but consumer complaints and stories of investigations.
    >
    > No offense meant, but you just sent your credit card number out into the
    > internet ether to a company that you had never heard of, and never
    > investigated. These guys are worse than just scam artists, they are outright
    > thieves and the most basic investigation would have shown you that in a
    > matter of about 3 mouse-clicks. You got screwed, and you deserve it.

    Anyone got an opinion on how a company like this can still be around?
    Volume?

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, May 31, 2004
  6. "Gary Eickmeier" <> wrote in message

    > Howard McCollister wrote:
    >
    > > No, no encouraging stories. In fact, theft and scam appears to be their

    most
    > > defining characteristic. Their reviews at
    > > http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2046.html are the worst I've ever

    seen.
    > > Even a simple Google search on their name brings up pages and pages of
    > > nothing but consumer complaints and stories of investigations.
    > >
    > > No offense meant, but you just sent your credit card number out into the
    > > internet ether to a company that you had never heard of, and never
    > > investigated. These guys are worse than just scam artists, they are

    outright
    > > thieves and the most basic investigation would have shown you that in a
    > > matter of about 3 mouse-clicks. You got screwed, and you deserve it.

    > Anyone got an opinion on how a company like this can still be around?
    > Volume?

    P.T. Barnum had an opinion...

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, May 31, 2004
  7. Jon

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    The encouraging thing is that you can cancel the transaction through your
    credit card company.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, May 31, 2004
  8. "Jon" <> wrote in message
    > I found a great price on a camera bag at Cambridge Camera Exchange in NYC,
    > on their website. But it's been weeks since I ordered the bag and nothing
    > has come. Now, belatedly, I've searched on the web and found only

    horrible
    > reviews about Cambridge Camera Exchange. Can anyone tell an encouraging
    > story about them to allay my fears, or is Cambridge Camera Exchange a
    > business to avoid?

    Unlikely you will ever receive anything.

    Steven M. Scharf, May 31, 2004
  9. Jon

    Mark M Guest

    "Howard McCollister" <> wrote in message

    >You got screwed, and you deserve it.

    No, he doesn't "deserve" this.
    They are thieves, and this naive person was cheated.
    What's the matter with you, Howard?
    I think you "deserve" a swift kick in the ass.

    Mark M, May 31, 2004
  10. Jon

    Ron Guest

    Contact your credit card company and tell them your story concerning this
    company. You could even get your money back through them.

    --
    Ron P

    Sometimes you're the windshield:)
    sometimes you're the bug:(

    Ron, May 31, 2004
  11. <snip>

    > These guys are worse than just scam artists, they are outright
    > thieves and the most basic investigation would have shown you that in a
    > matter of about 3 mouse-clicks. You got screwed, and you deserve it.

    Wasn't that a bit too harsh of an answer?

    You know, not everybody is as smart and perfect as you are mister
    knows-it-all I'm the best at buying online.
    Kid made a mistake, plain and simple, one he probably won't do again, that's
    called trial by error or learning from your own (and sometimes other's)
    mistakes, but... wait... that's probably how YOU gained your infinite
    knowledge and street smart on the subject, so what about cutting other
    people some slack here?
    This was supposed to be a group where people would go to find advices and
    sometimes help, not to be bashed and pointed at because they did or say
    something not so smart or correct (this of course doesn't apply to Preddy's
    rants).

    Now that I too have spoiled the purpose of this ng with my own weird and
    useless opinions, I think it's time to let some bandwidth free and shut my
    trap.

    Regards,

    FDKS

    Fedman Kassad, May 31, 2004
  12. "Fedman Kassad" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >
    > > These guys are worse than just scam artists, they are outright
    > > thieves and the most basic investigation would have shown you that in a
    > > matter of about 3 mouse-clicks. You got screwed, and you deserve it.
    > >

    > Wasn't that a bit too harsh of an answer?

    Give me a break. Anybody who picks up a newspaper these days should be aware
    of internet scams and credit card fraud, and it's inconceivable that anyone
    knowledgeable enough to peruse Usenet couldn't grasp the rudiments of a
    minimal Google search. You may not like the way I said it, but you know I'm
    right.

    > Now that I too have spoiled the purpose of this ng with my own weird and
    > useless opinions, I think it's time to let some bandwidth free and shut my
    > trap.

    Fat pitch right over the plate, but I'm gonna pass on it. We wouldn't want
    this newsgroup to become acrimonious, would we?

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, May 31, 2004
  13. Jon

    > "Fedman Kassad" <> wrote in message

    >You may not like the way I said it, but you know I'm
    > right.

    Right or wrong, I know you're an ass.

    Mark M, May 31, 2004
  14. snip

    > Give me a break. Anybody who picks up a newspaper these days should be

    aware
    > of internet scams and credit card fraud, and it's inconceivable that

    anyone
    > knowledgeable enough to peruse Usenet couldn't grasp the rudiments of a
    > minimal Google search. You may not like the way I said it, but you know

    I'm
    > right.

    Anybody that can turn on their brain before doing anything is able to do
    pretty much everything right most of the time. For any other time they can
    count on the usual (and frankly useless) "you did a stupid thing and you
    deserved it" bashing from the mister knows-it-all flavor of the week.
    When you do a stupid thing, do you have your own personal bashers or do you
    bash yourself? And after realizing you just made a mistake how nice is it to
    have somebody tell you, that you've been not so bright and you deserved it?
    I guess you NEVER did stupid things, did you?
    Yes I certanly didn't like the way you said it and if by right you mean
    5-10% right, then yes, you are right.

    snip

    > Fat pitch right over the plate, but I'm gonna pass on it. We wouldn't want
    > this newsgroup to become acrimonious, would we?
    >
    > HMc

    Become acrimonius? You gotta be joking!
    By the way, very peculiar choice of words, don't you think?

    FDKS

    Fedman Kassad, Jun 1, 2004
  15. Fedman Kassad wrote:

    > Anybody that can turn on their brain before doing anything is able to do
    > pretty much everything right most of the time. For any other time they can
    > count on the usual (and frankly useless) "you did a stupid thing and you
    > deserved it" bashing from the mister knows-it-all flavor of the week.
    > When you do a stupid thing, do you have your own personal bashers or do you
    > bash yourself? And after realizing you just made a mistake how nice is it to
    > have somebody tell you, that you've been not so bright and you deserved it?
    > I guess you NEVER did stupid things, did you?
    > Yes I certanly didn't like the way you said it and if by right you mean
    > 5-10% right, then yes, you are right.

    The main factor that got him is, well, greed. We should all know you
    can't get something for nothing. If the price seems way low, then
    beware. Look up the retailer, AT LEAST.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jun 1, 2004
  16. Jon

    Jon Guest

    My credit card company does of course provide 100% protection against fraud,
    as does nearly every credit card company these days, so I won't be out a
    cent for trying Cambridge Camera Exchange. If I don't get the product I
    ordered then I won't have to pay for it, and if I do receive the product and
    it is inferior I won't have to pay for it then either.

    I am glad to say that I've been completely happy with ordering over the
    Internet up until now.

    For those who wrote that I was greedy or stupid and deserved to be cheated
    simply because I hunted for a bargain and gave an unfamiliar vendor a try,
    well I can only say is that you are welcome to your opinions--but I have
    blocked all future postings from you. Rant away!

    Jon, Jun 1, 2004
  17. Jon

    Mark M Guest

    > Fedman Kassad wrote:
    >
    > > Anybody that can turn on their brain before doing anything is able to do
    > > pretty much everything right most of the time. For any other time they

    can
    > > count on the usual (and frankly useless) "you did a stupid thing and you
    > > deserved it" bashing from the mister knows-it-all flavor of the week.
    > > When you do a stupid thing, do you have your own personal bashers or do

    you
    > > bash yourself? And after realizing you just made a mistake how nice is

    it to
    > > have somebody tell you, that you've been not so bright and you deserved

    it?
    > > I guess you NEVER did stupid things, did you?
    > > Yes I certanly didn't like the way you said it and if by right you mean
    > > 5-10% right, then yes, you are right.

    > The main factor that got him is, well, greed. We should all know you
    > can't get something for nothing. If the price seems way low, then
    > beware. Look up the retailer, AT LEAST.

    What you are quick to assume as greed could also very well be a trusting
    person who had no idea that crooks were so free to continue doing dishonest
    business.

    Don't attribute greed to a trusting person who thought he had price-shopped,
    and come up with a good deal.

    You guys really do take the cake for bashing what was a good-faith post.

    Mark M, Jun 1, 2004
  18. Jon wrote:

    > For those who wrote that I was greedy or stupid and deserved to be cheated
    > simply because I hunted for a bargain and gave an unfamiliar vendor a try,
    > well I can only say is that you are welcome to your opinions--but I have
    > blocked all future postings from you. Rant away!

    Sorry, Jon. To make up for it, I will practically give away my Kodak 14n
    to you for $100. Just please send cash, because no one will believe my
    low prices.

    Gary Eickmeier

    Gary Eickmeier, Jun 1, 2004
  19. snip

    > Don't attribute greed to a trusting person who thought he had

    price-shopped,
    > and come up with a good deal.

    I agree, and he shouldn't be bashed if in the end the deal turned out to be
    not so good...

    > You guys really do take the cake for bashing what was a good-faith post.

    Agreed too, and how often will this person ask for advice again now?

    FDKS

    Fedman Kassad, Jun 1, 2004
  20. "Jon" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > My credit card company does of course provide 100% protection against

    fraud,
    > as does nearly every credit card company these days, so I won't be out a
    > cent for trying Cambridge Camera Exchange. If I don't get the product I
    > ordered then I won't have to pay for it, and if I do receive the product

    and
    > it is inferior I won't have to pay for it then either.
    >
    > I am glad to say that I've been completely happy with ordering over the
    > Internet up until now.

    Glad to hear that.

    > For those who wrote that I was greedy or stupid and deserved to be cheated
    > simply because I hunted for a bargain and gave an unfamiliar vendor a try,
    > well I can only say is that you are welcome to your opinions--but I have
    > blocked all future postings from you. Rant away!

    Sorry for the stir, my intentions were not to start any trouble or flaming.
    In the end I think you did the right thing.

    FDKS

    Fedman Kassad, Jun 1, 2004