Will I be able to get unemployment benefits?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Questioneer, Mar 10, 2009.

  1. Questioneer

    Questioneer Guest

    Good afternoon!

    I've been working full time for about 4 years now (since graduating from
    college) and have never claimed unemployment or any other sort of
    assistance. Last year I moved within my company from our Hawaii office to
    our Las Vegas office. My position was open in Las Vegas at the time and I
    transferred out.

    I need to return home to Hawaii in the near future, and a position is not
    available (nor is it likely one will be in the near future) for transferring
    back. The only choice is to quit, move, and search for a new job out there.

    Question: will I be able to get unemployment benefits once I get home and
    while I look for another job? I've heard that unemployment is generally
    available when the loss of job is of no doing of your own (ie you were laid
    off, furloughed). If I quit and move to another state, am I eligible for
    unemployment? How about if quitting is brought about due to a need to
    relocate, but lack of opportunity/availability to transfer back with the
    company in my position?

    Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
    Questioneer, Mar 10, 2009

  2. Questioneer

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:39:56 -0700, "Questioneer" <>
    wrote:

    >Good afternoon!
    >
    >I've been working full time for about 4 years now (since graduating from
    >college) and have never claimed unemployment or any other sort of
    >assistance. Last year I moved within my company from our Hawaii office to
    >our Las Vegas office. My position was open in Las Vegas at the time and I
    >transferred out.
    >
    >I need to return home to Hawaii in the near future, and a position is not
    >available (nor is it likely one will be in the near future) for transferring
    >back. The only choice is to quit, move, and search for a new job out there.
    >
    >Question: will I be able to get unemployment benefits once I get home and
    >while I look for another job? I've heard that unemployment is generally
    >available when the loss of job is of no doing of your own (ie you were laid
    >off, furloughed). If I quit and move to another state, am I eligible for
    >unemployment? How about if quitting is brought about due to a need to
    >relocate, but lack of opportunity/availability to transfer back with the
    >company in my position?

    I'm about 99% confident the answer is no, you cannot file unemployment
    if you vacate your job by your choice.

    As a matter of fact,
    http://www.larcc.org/pamphlets/benefits_work/rights_uc_when_quitting.htm
    says if you quit for certain reasons, you can get unemployment, but
    those reasons must be because of your employer, basically - ie unsafe
    working conditions, work created a health risk, etc. Leaving because
    you move likely won't qualify.

    But, rather than trust strangers on Usenet, call your local EDD /
    unemployment office. :)
    Evan Platt, Mar 10, 2009

  3. Questioneer

    skeeter Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:39:56 -0700, "Questioneer" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > Most likely not. To be qualified for unemployment you must have been
    > employeed for at least 26 weeks in that state.
    >
    > If I were you, I'd take the Nevada unemployment for what I can get and
    > use the free time to begin looking for work in Hawaii.
    >
    > Even though you quit, the state may allow a certain percentage.
    > Usually between 40 and 50 percent.

    thats not true at all.
    --
    skeeter
    skeeter, Mar 11, 2009
  4. Questioneer

    G. Morgan Guest

    richard wrote:

    >Even though you quit, the state may allow a certain percentage.
    >Usually between 40 and 50 percent.

    And just which state would that be?
    G. Morgan, Mar 11, 2009
  5. G. Morgan wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    >> Even though you quit, the state may allow a certain percentage.
    >> Usually between 40 and 50 percent.

    > And just which state would that be?

    The State of Confusion?

    (In New York, if you quit your job, you get nothing.)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 11, 2009
  6. Questioneer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Questioneer wrote:

    > Good afternoon!
    >
    > I've been working full time for about 4 years now (since graduating from
    > college) and have never claimed unemployment or any other sort of
    > assistance. Last year I moved within my company from our Hawaii office to
    > our Las Vegas office. My position was open in Las Vegas at the time and I
    > transferred out.
    >
    > I need to return home to Hawaii in the near future, and a position is not
    > available (nor is it likely one will be in the near future) for transferring
    > back. The only choice is to quit, move, and search for a new job out there.
    >
    > Question: will I be able to get unemployment benefits once I get home and
    > while I look for another job? I've heard that unemployment is generally
    > available when the loss of job is of no doing of your own (ie you were laid
    > off, furloughed). If I quit and move to another state, am I eligible for
    > unemployment? How about if quitting is brought about due to a need to
    > relocate, but lack of opportunity/availability to transfer back with the
    > company in my position?
    >
    > Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

    http://detr.state.nv.us/

    If it's not on their site, call them. Quitting disallows unemployement
    benefits. It's for when you lose your job until you find another. Not
    for when you toss your job.
    VanguardLH, Mar 11, 2009
  7. Questioneer

    Questioneer Guest

    Thank you everyone for the advice and comments.

    I have never drank so much in my life until I started working in our Las
    Vegas office. Where I used to go to the beach to relax and unwind, I find
    myself drinking to fill that void after working in this office. I don't
    suppose that would be a work created health risk, eh? It's sad because it's
    true :(

    I'll look around the NV site that Vanguard gave!

    Questioneer, Mar 11, 2009
  8. Questioneer

    VanguardLH Guest

    Questioneer wrote:

    > Thank you everyone for the advice and comments.
    >
    > I have never drank so much in my life until I started working in our Las
    > Vegas office. Where I used to go to the beach to relax and unwind, I find
    > myself drinking to fill that void after working in this office.

    Well, it is Nevada. Should be a short drive to find lots of sand. Not
    much water, however, unless you head off to Lake Mead just 30 miles SE
    of Vegas. But then, after all, if you went to the beach, you weren't
    actually in the water. I realize there were lots of beaches on the
    Islands but then there were also lots of people trampling over you.

    Remember to take lots of water with you. Dry heat is more bearable but
    you'll still sweat.

    > I don't suppose that would be a work created health risk, eh? It's sad
    > because it's true :(

    Same excuse could be made for doing drugs or picking up hookers.
    Doesn't wash.
    VanguardLH, Mar 11, 2009
  9. Questioneer

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:21:34 -0400, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Most likely not. To be qualified for unemployment you must have been
    >employeed for at least 26 weeks in that state.
    >
    >If I were you, I'd take the Nevada unemployment for what I can get and
    >use the free time to begin looking for work in Hawaii.
    >
    >Even though you quit, the state may allow a certain percentage.
    >Usually between 40 and 50 percent.

    Wow. Wrong on all counts.
    Evan Platt, Mar 11, 2009
  10. Questioneer

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:20:01 -0400, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >(In New York, if you quit your job, you get nothing.)

    In most states, you quit, you get nothing, unless you quit because of
    the job - ie unsafe work conditions, harassment at work, etc. But if
    you quit "just because", chances are you'll get squat.
    Evan Platt, Mar 11, 2009
  11. Questioneer

    Keyser Söze Guest

    Questioneer <> wrote in message

    > Good afternoon!
    >
    > I've been working full time for about 4 years now (since graduating
    > from college) and have never claimed unemployment or any other sort of
    > assistance. Last year I moved within my company from our Hawaii
    > office to our Las Vegas office. My position was open in Las Vegas at
    > the time and I transferred out.
    >
    > I need to return home to Hawaii in the near future, and a position is
    > not available (nor is it likely one will be in the near future) for
    > transferring back. The only choice is to quit, move, and search for a
    > new job out there.
    > Question: will I be able to get unemployment benefits once I get home
    > and while I look for another job? I've heard that unemployment is
    > generally available when the loss of job is of no doing of your own
    > (ie you were laid off, furloughed). If I quit and move to another
    > state, am I eligible for unemployment? How about if quitting is
    > brought about due to a need to relocate, but lack of
    > opportunity/availability to transfer back with the company in my
    > position?
    > Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

    Put in a claim. If you don't chance your arm, you'll never break your neck.

    --
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to
    an understanding of ourselves. Jung

    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,
    Keyser Söze, Mar 11, 2009
  12. Questioneer

    JIM Guest

    >> Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
    >

    > Become an incompetent, useless slacker so they fire you. THEN - maybe -
    > you can get unemployment.

    "Maybe", but very unlikely, being fired "for reason" will almost certainly
    result in benefits being denied .
    JIM, Mar 11, 2009
  13. Questioneer

    Questioneer Guest

    With such stringent rules around collecting unemployment, how is it possible
    so many people rag on those that do collect? It sounds like in order to
    collect you must be geuninely in need. Seems like a hard system to take
    advantage of if someone was to try.

    Questioneer, Mar 11, 2009
  14. Questioneer

    Jordon Guest

    Questioneer wrote:
    > With such stringent rules around collecting unemployment, how is it possible
    > so many people rag on those that do collect? It sounds like in order to
    > collect you must be geuninely in need. Seems like a hard system to take
    > advantage of if someone was to try.

    It all depends on the state and they all have different rules.
    Here in Washington employees can get fired for a number of
    reasons and still collect unemployment. The employer must
    follow their own policies to the letter in order to fire an
    employee and have the state disallow benefits.

    Example...

    Fired for attendance? Did the employer give multiple warnings?
    No? Benefits allowed!

    Does the policy say 3 warnings and then termination but the
    employer gave four warnings? Benefits allowed! Because there
    is no standard to which the employee can be expected to follow.

    --
    Jordon
    Jordon, Mar 11, 2009
  15. Questioneer

    Top Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:39:56 -0700, "Questioneer"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Good afternoon!
    >>
    >>I've been working full time for about 4 years now (since
    >>graduating from college) and have never claimed unemployment or
    >>any other sort of assistance. Last year I moved within my company
    >>from our Hawaii office to our Las Vegas office. My position was
    >>open in Las Vegas at the time and I transferred out.
    >>
    >>I need to return home to Hawaii in the near future, and a position
    >>is not available (nor is it likely one will be in the near future)
    >>for transferring back. The only choice is to quit, move, and
    >>search for a new job out there.
    >>
    >>Question: will I be able to get unemployment benefits once I get
    >>home and while I look for another job? I've heard that
    >>unemployment is generally available when the loss of job is of no
    >>doing of your own (ie you were laid off, furloughed). If I quit
    >>and move to another state, am I eligible for unemployment? How
    >>about if quitting is brought about due to a need to relocate, but
    >>lack of opportunity/availability to transfer back with the company
    >>in my position?
    >>
    >>Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
    >>

    > Most likely not. To be qualified for unemployment you must have
    > been employeed for at least 26 weeks in that state.
    >
    > If I were you, I'd take the Nevada unemployment for what I can get
    > and use the free time to begin looking for work in Hawaii.
    >
    > Even though you quit, the state may allow a certain percentage.
    > Usually between 40 and 50 percent.

    You would be the expert on unemployment.

    --
    The best thing you can give your children can't be bought.
    Top, Mar 13, 2009
  16. Questioneer

    Ricky Bobby Guest

    > Good afternoon!
    >
    > I've been working full time for about 4 years now (since graduating from
    > college) and have never claimed unemployment or any other sort of
    > assistance. Last year I moved within my company from our Hawaii office to
    > our Las Vegas office. My position was open in Las Vegas at the time and I
    > transferred out.
    >
    > I need to return home to Hawaii in the near future, and a position is not
    > available (nor is it likely one will be in the near future) for
    > transferring back. The only choice is to quit, move, and search for a new
    > job out there.
    >
    > Question: will I be able to get unemployment benefits once I get home and
    > while I look for another job? I've heard that unemployment is generally
    > available when the loss of job is of no doing of your own (ie you were
    > laid off, furloughed). If I quit and move to another state, am I eligible
    > for unemployment? How about if quitting is brought about due to a need to
    > relocate, but lack of opportunity/availability to transfer back with the
    > company in my position?
    >
    > Thank you for any advice or suggestions.

    Truly amazing--- 25 years old and you expect the taxpayers to fund your
    personal adventure!

    No doubt you voted for the Anointed One!
    Ricky Bobby, Mar 13, 2009
  17. In message <Xns9BCD7E5FB721Etopneorrinvalid@130.133.1.4>, Top wrote:
    > richard <> wrote in
    >
    > > On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:39:56 -0700, "Questioneer"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Good afternoon!
    > >>
    > >>I've been working full time for about 4 years now (since
    > >>graduating from college) and have never claimed unemployment or
    > >>any other sort of assistance. Last year I moved within my company
    > >>from our Hawaii office to our Las Vegas office. My position was
    > >>open in Las Vegas at the time and I transferred out.
    > >>
    > >>I need to return home to Hawaii in the near future, and a position
    > >>is not available (nor is it likely one will be in the near future)
    > >>for transferring back. The only choice is to quit, move, and
    > >>search for a new job out there.
    > >>
    > >>Question: will I be able to get unemployment benefits once I get
    > >>home and while I look for another job? I've heard that
    > >>unemployment is generally available when the loss of job is of no
    > >>doing of your own (ie you were laid off, furloughed). If I quit
    > >>and move to another state, am I eligible for unemployment? How
    > >>about if quitting is brought about due to a need to relocate, but
    > >>lack of opportunity/availability to transfer back with the company
    > >>in my position?
    > >>
    > >>Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
    > >>

    > > Most likely not. To be qualified for unemployment you must have
    > > been employeed for at least 26 weeks in that state.
    > >
    > > If I were you, I'd take the Nevada unemployment for what I can get
    > > and use the free time to begin looking for work in Hawaii.
    > >
    > > Even though you quit, the state may allow a certain percentage.
    > > Usually between 40 and 50 percent.
    > >

    > You would be the expert on unemployment.

    Riiiiiiight...because the condition of being unemployed is *always* the fault
    of the person with that status.

    Tell me more :)

    -James Madison
    §ñühw¤£f, Mar 13, 2009
  18. Questioneer

    Top Guest

    §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in

    > In message <Xns9BCD7E5FB721Etopneorrinvalid@130.133.1.4>, Top
    > wrote:
    >> richard <> wrote in

    >> > Most likely not. To be qualified for unemployment you must have
    >> > been employeed for at least 26 weeks in that state.
    >> >
    >> > If I were you, I'd take the Nevada unemployment for what I can
    >> > get and use the free time to begin looking for work in Hawaii.
    >> >
    >> > Even though you quit, the state may allow a certain percentage.
    >> > Usually between 40 and 50 percent.
    >> >

    >> You would be the expert on unemployment.
    >>

    > Riiiiiiight...because the condition of being unemployed is
    > *always* the fault of the person with that status.
    >
    > Tell me more :)

    When speaking of richard yes it is always his fault. Others maybe not
    so true.

    Top
    Top, Apr 21, 2009
  19. Top spilled the beans:
    > §ñühw¤£f <> wrote in
    >
    >> In message <Xns9BCD7E5FB721Etopneorrinvalid@130.133.1.4>, Top
    >> wrote:
    >>> richard <> wrote in

    >>> You would be the expert on unemployment.
    >>>

    >> Riiiiiiight...because the condition of being unemployed is
    >> *always* the fault of the person with that status.
    >>
    >> Tell me more :)
    >>

    > When speaking of richard yes it is always his fault. Others maybe not
    > so true.
    >
    > Top

    Honest question. Would *you* hire him?

    See my point?

    --
    http://www.eyeonpalin.org

    _..._ ___ ___ ___ ___ _..._
    ,' `::. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,~ `:. ,' `::.
    : `::: `:: `:: `:: `:: `:::
    : .::: .:: .:: .:: .:: .:::
    : .:::`. .;' `. .;' `. .;'.`. .;': .:::
    : .::: `.' .`.'.: `.' ::`.' :. .:::