    seem to have missed some essential wisdom - will such a critter boot? And
    will it boot Win64?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2005

  2. That's really a question for HP.

    Booting is controlled by the motherboard BIOS.
    Does the BIOS include options to allow booting from USB devices? If so,
    probably yes.
    The devices could be floppy or CD/DVD.
    Dominic Payer, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Thanks!

    "Dominic Payer" <> wrote in message
    > That's really a question for HP.
    >
    > Booting is controlled by the motherboard BIOS.

    ---
    Yes, but it still demands that the drive itself can perform some
    necessities, isn't that so? Or do you
    suppose that booting relies solely on BIOS? If so, then I am affraid I am in
    deep sh*t.
    ---

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2005
  4. This is both a BIOS issue, as Dominic has correctly pointed out, and a DVD
    issue -- some external drives just aren't bootable, so you have to be
    careful about models. If your internal one won't boot to DVD, however, I'd
    be very concerned about any external one doing so -- it sounds more like
    either a BIOS setting is off, or HP hasn't given you the option.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Ah, I see. I was beginning to be affraid of that. Now, then, next thing I'll
    do is I'll get in touch with HP Support and ask them for a BIOS upgrade.
    Such an issue severely diminishes the value of their equipment, so a more
    advanced BIOS might be available.

    Thanks, and talking of 'models', anything specific to be wary about?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2005
  6. An external DVD drive contains a standard PATA DVD drive with a USB/PATA
    interface. I don't know of any standard DVD drives that can't be booted.

    If you know where to buy, you can get a separate case and OEM drive of your
    choice and build your own.

    If the external drive's USB/PATA interface is imperfectly implemented (a
    design fault if it doesn't say it's not bootable) or has difficulty
    communicating with your BIOS (a compatibility problem) then it might not be
    bootable in practice.

    Check your BIOS for the ability to recognise USB devices and whether access
    to "USB storage" is available. You may need to change the devices' boot
    order.
    Dominic Payer, Sep 1, 2005
  7. Tony Sperling

    John Barnes Guest

    Everyone so far only mentions external USB. Just to mention that there are
    also external 1394 and SATA drives. Depending on your motherboard setup, an
    external SATA may be the cleanest. 1394 probably requires an IDE DVD drive
    in an external case with a built in IDE/1394(and/or USB) converter.

    John Barnes, Sep 1, 2005
  8. he's on a laptop, so I doubt external SATA is going to work, though it's a
    great choice for desktops.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 1, 2005
  9. I've got a Targus here that works well and is self powered. PADVD010 is the
    model number. I use it on my Tablet with good success.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 1, 2005
  10. 'Self powered' - will that help me if I cannot get BIOS support, or does
    that imply that it's on its own BIOS?

    Ah, I think I get it. . .you mean non-USB, selfcontained - power AND BIOS
    wise?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2005
  11. Tony Sperling

    Rick Guest

    I believe it's a combination of both. Most CD and DVD drives currently
    have the capability to support booting the computer from it, but the
    critical part is the BIOS. Your computer BIOS must support booting from
    an CD or DVD drive, and I haven't seen one lately that wouldn't.

    Rick, Sep 1, 2005
  12. by self-powered, I meant that it can use an external power adapter, OR power
    itself from the USB connection. The critical thing for me is powering from
    the USB connection, since that means one less thing to lug around.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 1, 2005
  13. Well, it does support booting the CD. The system is set up such that it can
    burn both formats - boot the CD but not the DVD, sounds like something you
    would do if you had a load of drives that you wanted to get rid of. Well, in
    truth, it is so flimsy, that I would want to get rid of it too!!!

    O.K. then, I am learning a lot here. I think I start looking for a BIOS
    update.

    And, thanks.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2005
  14. In my case, the critical thing is that things work, I don't lug it around
    that much, it is mostly from room to room over the course of the day to have
    a quiet spot to work in. In the day I get away from disturbance - in the
    late evening I spare those around me any disturbance that I may otherwise
    inflict upon them. Other than that I find it disturbing to have gear labeled
    as a combo CD/DVD drive/burner and then find it won't boot the DVD part. I
    am having trouble interpreting that as a combo, even though it burns both
    formats.

    John also did mention the 1394 (FW?) thing, does that go under the same hat
    as SATA (desktop only?) 'cause I have a 1394 pc-card slot already in there.

    Tony. . .

    P.S. Thanks to everyone, I don't think I'll keep you much longer with this
    issue.

    Tony Sperling, Sep 1, 2005
  15. You can download BIOS updates and DVD/CDRW firmware updates from your local
    HP support site. Make sure you get the correct versions for your laptop
    model.

    The bus-powered PADVD010 is small and light but read only. If you want to
    burn DVDs you will need something else, which will need external power.

    Firewire (IEEE 1394) is bootable in principle on a laptop. It all depends
    whether the BIOS supports booting from it.
    Dominic Payer, Sep 2, 2005
  16. Great stuff to know! Thank you.

    I don't have to burn anything on the notebook, really. I do need to boot,
    though. The concept of 'OS booting' is incresingly moving over to the DVD
    format and not having BIOS support for that is annoying, big time. I am
    waiting for a respons from HP right now, I already had the latest BIOS, and
    the CD/DVD Patches they had, targeted non-related issues. This is the kind
    of issue that is described by the old adage:

    "Whichever way you turn - your rear end is behind you!"

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Sep 2, 2005