    players include these formats? And, do most DVD players in Europe now play
    these?

    Thank-you
    DVD, Nov 9, 2005

  2. DVD

    Rich Guest

    On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 21:21:38 GMT, "DVD" <> wrote:

    >Will a CD with a Divx or Xvid file play on a DVD player? Will all new DVD
    >players include these formats? And, do most DVD players in Europe now play
    >these?
    >
    >Thank-you

    If you look up the players at their mfg websites, they should tell you
    what formats they will play. Most will not play Divx or MPEG-4 files.
    You can simply use a program like NERO to convert the divx (avi) files
    to VOB files and the program will then burn them to a blank DVD.
    -Rich
    Rich, Nov 9, 2005

  3. DVD

    Biz Guest

    "DVD" <> wrote in message news:CLtcf.6470$SV1.2983@trndny01...
    > Will a CD with a Divx or Xvid file play on a DVD player?

    Not on most,. only the divx capable players, and that list is short but it
    is growing.

    Will all new DVD
    > players include these formats? NO

    And, do most DVD players in Europe now play
    > these?

    Some, not most...look at www.divx.com under hardware to see alist of
    divx/xvid capable players

    Biz, Nov 9, 2005
  4. DVD

    Kenny Guest

    Unless it specifically says on the specifications that it plays DivX then it
    won't.
    I have a Yamada DVX6600 which does.
    Thing I have noticed is that Curry's, Argos, Woolworths etc. don't sell DivX
    players, I don't know why.
    I got mine from:
    www.aria.co.uk
    but also look at:
    www.scan.co.uk

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Nov 9, 2005
  5. DVD

    Nonymous Guest

    "Biz" <> wrote in message

    > "DVD" <> wrote in message news:CLtcf.6470$SV1.2983@trndny01...
    >> Will a CD with a Divx or Xvid file play on a DVD player?

    > Not on most,. only the divx capable players, and that list is short but it
    > is growing.

    Check out the Philips DVP-642 player. (Target carries it; I think it's only
    $69). It's arguably the most popular of the divx-capable DVD players. I
    have two: one in the livingroom, other in the bedroom, and love 'em. Can
    throw anything at them: +R, -R, +RW, duel layer, etc. and they'll read it.
    Plays 95% of divx and xvid files just fine. The other 5% I blame on poor
    encoding of the file. My only complaint is I hate the remote control. And
    when playing a regular DVD, I can't figure out how to get the player to tell
    me how much time is left in the move. (The manual explains it, but poorly,
    and their directions don't work for me.) - minor complaints.
    Nonymous, Nov 10, 2005