WIll CS3 help with this difficult touch up?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RBrickston, Sep 13, 2007.

  1. RBrickston

    RBrickston Guest

    I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    not allowing me to get a good cloning area.

    Here is the original unmodified scan:

    http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg

    The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    only.

    Here's where I'm at so far:

    http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg

    Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    RBrickston, Sep 13, 2007

  2. RBrickston

    Guest

    On Sep 13, 12:40 pm, RBrickston <> wrote:
    > I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    > really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    > across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    > not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >
    > Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >
    > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >
    > The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    > Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    > only.
    >
    > Here's where I'm at so far:
    >
    > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >
    > Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    I have seen trouble spots like this before. It can be tedious and I
    do not think CS3 will be much easier. What I recommend is to zoom in
    on the damage to the pixel level and work the clone stamp with a 1
    pixel brush. This allows you to choose pixels somewhat randomly and
    in very close proximity with the crack area. As you get that level of
    detail under control you can expand it a bit. It will take time but
    the technique works. Photoshop is wonderful but it is not perfect. :)

    , Sep 13, 2007

  3. RBrickston

    Dave Cohen Guest

    RBrickston wrote:
    > I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    > really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    > across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    > not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >
    > Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >
    > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >
    > The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    > Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    > only.
    >
    > Here's where I'm at so far:
    >
    > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >
    > Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    I think what you have as well as many other packages have the capability
    to fix this. They all have the tools you would use.
    This type of thing tests the skill and patience of the operator and some
    people will do a better job in a shorter time than others. Personally, I
    would work using a duplicate layer and maybe not try to fix everything
    in one step.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 13, 2007
  4. RBrickston

    TRoss Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:40:15 GMT, RBrickston <>
    wrote:

    >I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    >really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    >across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    >not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >
    >Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >
    >http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >
    >The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    >Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    >only.
    >
    >Here's where I'm at so far:
    >
    >http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >
    >Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    Unless you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, PS7 has all the tools
    you need for a job like this. I've repaired a lot worse than this with
    PS7.

    The work is tedious. It's like killing ants ... one at a time.

    I would use the Clone Stamp for this. The Healing Brush is okay, but I
    find the "healing" tends to spread, making everything look blurry.

    The other reason I prefer the Clone Stamp for repairing cracks and
    creases is you can repair to an empty layer. Create a new layer,
    select the Clone Stamp too, and check the Sample All Layers option
    from the Clone Stamp options bar. Cloning to an empty layer has a lot
    of advantages.

    Clone Stamp also lets you adjust the opacity. Sometimes I find it's
    easier to get a good match by reducing the opacity to 30% and build up
    the repair.

    TR

    TRoss, Sep 13, 2007
  5. RBrickston

    EdiTOR Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:40:15 GMT, RBrickston <> wrote:

    >I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    >really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    >across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    >not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >
    >Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >
    >http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >
    >The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    >Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    >only.
    >
    >Here's where I'm at so far:
    >
    >http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >
    >Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    4 to 5 minutes of fooling around with the original in Photoline-32. The front
    fender and a quite a few other line details overall could be done much better
    but that might take another 2 to 3 minutes. I only spend appreciable time on
    restoration when pay is involved. The front fender problem caused by my
    overzealous use of the Light/Shadow tool to try to reclaim some non-existent
    details in the blacks and it only compounded some editing problems. Should have
    saved that step for last or kept a lightened copy open alongside for reference
    but I wanted to see what was there before starting.

    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/1374920270_a454185859_o.jpg

    Those blues a little oversaturated too. Easy to pull those back using
    Photoline's, much better than PhotoShop's, hue/saturation tool, while enhancing
    that red car a bit.

    EdiTOR, Sep 13, 2007
  6. RBrickston

    EdiTOR Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 21:50:22 GMT, EdiTOR <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:40:15 GMT, RBrickston <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    >>really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    >>across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    >>not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >>
    >>Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >>
    >>http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >>
    >>The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    >>Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    >>only.
    >>
    >>Here's where I'm at so far:
    >>
    >>http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >>
    >>Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    >4 to 5 minutes of fooling around with the original in Photoline-32. The front
    >fender and a quite a few other line details overall could be done much better
    >but that might take another 2 to 3 minutes. I only spend appreciable time on
    >restoration when pay is involved. The front fender problem caused by my
    >overzealous use of the Light/Shadow tool to try to reclaim some non-existent
    >details in the blacks and it only compounded some editing problems. Should have
    >saved that step for last or kept a lightened copy open alongside for reference
    >but I wanted to see what was there before starting.
    >
    >http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/1374920270_a454185859_o.jpg
    >
    >Those blues a little oversaturated too. Easy to pull those back using
    >Photoline's, much better than PhotoShop's, hue/saturation tool, while enhancing
    >that red car a bit.

    I forgot to mention, the reason that I much prefer Photoline-32 for restoration
    editing, or editing of any nature, is that its clone and healing brushes (and
    others) have a preview mode built right into the brushes. It shows you exactly
    what is being stamped down before you put it there. It makes it fast and simple
    to put the detail back exactly where you want it to be and with what level of
    transparency and softness. It's akin to the advantages of having a live-preview
    in digital cameras during all editing phases.

    Not to mention all the other reasons people have given, full 32-bit math being
    used at all times, it's not dependent on that details-smearing bicubic which is
    Photoshop's only resampling option ... the list of advantages over Photoshop is
    extensive.

    EdiTOR, Sep 13, 2007
  7. RBrickston

    RBrickston Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:40:15 GMT, RBrickston <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    > >really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    > >across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    > >not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    > >
    > >Here is the original unmodified scan:
    > >
    > >http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    > >
    > >The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    > >Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    > >only.
    > >
    > >Here's where I'm at so far:
    > >
    > >http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    > >
    > >Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    > 4 to 5 minutes of fooling around with the original in Photoline-32. The front
    > fender and a quite a few other line details overall could be done much better
    > but that might take another 2 to 3 minutes. I only spend appreciable time on
    > restoration when pay is involved. The front fender problem caused by my
    > overzealous use of the Light/Shadow tool to try to reclaim some non-existent
    > details in the blacks and it only compounded some editing problems. Should have
    > saved that step for last or kept a lightened copy open alongside for reference
    > but I wanted to see what was there before starting.
    >
    > http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/1374920270_a454185859_o.jpg
    >
    > Those blues a little oversaturated too. Easy to pull those back using
    > Photoline's, much better than PhotoShop's, hue/saturation tool, while enhancing
    > that red car a bit.

    Holy shit, very nice work. Looks like you also ran some kind of sharpening
    on it also. What would the learning curve be for Photoline?

    RBrickston, Sep 14, 2007
  8. RBrickston

    D_Mac Guest

    On Sep 14, 12:02 pm, RBrickston <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    > > On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:40:15 GMT, RBrickston <> wrote:

    > > >I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    > > >really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    > > >across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    > > >not allowing me to get a good cloning area.

    > > >Here is the original unmodified scan:

    > > >http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg

    > > >The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    > > >Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    > > >only.

    > > >Here's where I'm at so far:

    > > >http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg

    > > >Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    > > 4 to 5 minutes of fooling around with the original in Photoline-32. The front
    > > fender and a quite a few other line details overall could be done much better
    > > but that might take another 2 to 3 minutes. I only spend appreciable time on
    > > restoration when pay is involved. The front fender problem caused by my
    > > overzealous use of the Light/Shadow tool to try to reclaim some non-existent
    > > details in the blacks and it only compounded some editing problems. Should have
    > > saved that step for last or kept a lightened copy open alongside for reference
    > > but I wanted to see what was there before starting.

    > >http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/1374920270_a454185859_o.jpg

    > > Those blues a little oversaturated too. Easy to pull those back using
    > > Photoline's, much better than PhotoShop's, hue/saturation tool, while enhancing
    > > that red car a bit.

    > Holy shit, very nice work. Looks like you also ran some kind of sharpening
    > on it also. What would the learning curve be for Photoline?

    Kodak put out some really good scanning stuff. Digital ROC
    (restoration of color), GEM and a few others. If you intend to work
    with old photos, it's essential stuff IMO. I use ROC Pro almost daily
    and swear by it. The normal version is OK for most people. You can get
    a free trial. http://www.asf.com/ As for the process of fixing up the
    scratches, Clone, clone, clone. It's the only way to do it quickly.

    wNp

    D_Mac, Sep 14, 2007
  9. RBrickston

    EdiTOR Guest

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:11:55 -0700, D_Mac <> wrote:

    >On Sep 14, 12:02 pm, RBrickston <> wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >> > 4 to 5 minutes of fooling around with the original in Photoline-32. The front
    >> > fender and a quite a few other line details overall could be done much better
    >> > but that might take another 2 to 3 minutes. I only spend appreciable time on
    >> > restoration when pay is involved. The front fender problem caused by my
    >> > overzealous use of the Light/Shadow tool to try to reclaim some non-existent
    >> > details in the blacks and it only compounded some editing problems. Should have
    >> > saved that step for last or kept a lightened copy open alongside for reference
    >> > but I wanted to see what was there before starting.

    >> >http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1271/1374920270_a454185859_o.jpg

    >> > Those blues a little oversaturated too. Easy to pull those back using
    >> > Photoline's, much better than PhotoShop's, hue/saturation tool, while enhancing
    >> > that red car a bit.

    >> Holy shit, very nice work. Looks like you also ran some kind of sharpening
    >> on it also. What would the learning curve be for Photoline?

    Unfortunately the learning curve is quite steep. It is an extremely advanced
    editor with many more features than Photoshop and its not overly intuitive to
    the western mind. But if you are familiar with other editors that will be a big
    help in getting started. Here's a nice cross-reference list that someone put
    together of just some of the tools available in Photoline for people wanting to
    learn their way around when first starting out, if they are already familiar
    with Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

    http://www.geocities.com/advanced_pser/graphic_editor_cross_reference.htm

    Most of the problem in learning Photoline come from the authors not following
    Adobe's nor anyone else's methods. Apparently they feel no need to, and I too
    agree with them. As the author replied once when asked about this, "Who made
    Adobe god?" Photoline even had an HDR tool long before Photoshop but they called
    it the "Connect Images" tool due to German to English translation
    idiosyncrasies. That is the other learning problem--the German to English
    translations they used on many tools. Also, some methods are not done the same
    in Photoline as in all other editors. The authors of Photoline found better ways
    to do the same things. Check out all that can be done using the "Lasso" tool on
    that cross-reference list. With just one click you can do nearly all your usual
    editing that's needed for most photos.

    Here's a good example from that page:

    "Interestingly, you can select a crop area with the Lasso Tool, rotate the Lasso
    while holding down CTRL, resize it proportionally or freely with ALT or SHIFT
    keys, correct perspective with CTRL + ALT, select "Straighten" in the Lasso's
    Tool Settings, input a Soft Edge number, and then press "Crop Lasso". This will
    add a feathered border, remove any tilt, correct distortion, and crop the image
    to your final Lasso/Mask all at once. (Hold down SHIFT while pressing "Crop
    Lasso" puts your edits into a new window.) Seeing / Doing this just once starts
    to make you appreciate why the authors didn't bother following others'
    conventions. I, for one, am glad they didn't."

    You might have to do some un-learning of inefficient and outdated methods that
    you are accustomed to, to see and get the full use out of Photoline.

    Download a copy and try it out. It's less than 8 megs to download. See if you
    can find your way around. It's also some of the most efficient and eloquent use
    of programming I have ever seen. To fit as much capability as Photoline has into
    an 8 meg package is astounding. Its interface may not be "pretty" but it's a
    major work-horse with no equal.

    >Kodak put out some really good scanning stuff. Digital ROC
    >(restoration of color), GEM and a few others. If you intend to work
    >with old photos, it's essential stuff IMO. I use ROC Pro almost daily
    >and swear by it. The normal version is OK for most people. You can get
    >a free trial. http://www.asf.com/ As for the process of fixing up the
    >scratches, Clone, clone, clone. It's the only way to do it quickly.
    >
    >wNp

    You too might like Photoline. Its built-in "Remove Dust/Scratches" filter found
    in the Filter > Quality > menu works better than ROC, or the one in Paint Shop
    Pro that everyone seems to like so much. I forgot to try it out on this photo
    when starting out. I should have, it would have cut my hand-edits to a fourth of
    the time. I got distracted and forgot about it being there. Before sending this
    reply I just tested it on that photo with settings of: Size 2, RGB channels,
    Intensity 120%, Threshold 0. Indeed, it would have cut my hand-edits to less
    than a fourth.

    EdiTOR, Sep 14, 2007
  10. RBrickston

    EdiTOR Guest

    On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 04:26:04 GMT, EdiTOR <> wrote:

    >>Kodak put out some really good scanning stuff. Digital ROC
    >>(restoration of color), GEM and a few others. If you intend to work
    >>with old photos, it's essential stuff IMO. I use ROC Pro almost daily
    >>and swear by it. The normal version is OK for most people. You can get
    >>a free trial. http://www.asf.com/ As for the process of fixing up the
    >>scratches, Clone, clone, clone. It's the only way to do it quickly.
    >>
    >>wNp

    >You too might like Photoline. Its built-in "Remove Dust/Scratches" filter found
    >in the Filter > Quality > menu works better than ROC, or the one in Paint Shop
    >Pro that everyone seems to like so much. I forgot to try it out on this photo
    >when starting out. I should have, it would have cut my hand-edits to a fourth of
    >the time. I got distracted and forgot about it being there. Before sending this
    >reply I just tested it on that photo with settings of: Size 2, RGB channels,
    >Intensity 120%, Threshold 0. Indeed, it would have cut my hand-edits to less
    >than a fourth.

    Sorry, my error. I was reading too fast and confusing ROC with the freely
    available Kodak plugin for dust/scratch removal.

    EdiTOR, Sep 14, 2007
  11. RBrickston

    Ron Hunter Guest

    RBrickston wrote:
    > I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    > really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    > across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    > not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >
    > Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >
    > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >
    > The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    > Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    > only.
    >
    > Here's where I'm at so far:
    >
    > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >
    > Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    You can pretty well fix this picture with Photoshop Elements 5 as it has
    various features intended for this type of correction. It takes a bit
    of practice, and lots of patience, but you can do much with it.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 14, 2007
  12. RBrickston

    Doug Jones Guest

    "RBrickston" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    > really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    > across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    > not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >
    > Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >
    > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >
    > The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    > Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    > only.
    >
    > Here's where I'm at so far:
    >
    > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >
    > Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?

    http://douglas-jones.com/chevelle5.jpg
    I spent about 25 minutes with my own home made program.
    dj

    Doug Jones, Sep 14, 2007
  13. RBrickston

    RBrickston Guest

    In article <HYAGi.59613$>,
    says...

    > "RBrickston" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    > > really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    > > across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    > > not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    > >
    > > Here is the original unmodified scan:
    > >
    > > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    > >
    > > The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    > > Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    > > only.
    > >
    > > Here's where I'm at so far:
    > >
    > > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    > >
    > > Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?
    > >

    > http://douglas-jones.com/chevelle5.jpg
    > I spent about 25 minutes with my own home made program.
    > dj

    Good job, but you have that lump going across the hood. This is the
    results I got going beyond what's in the picture I posted. Still having a
    tough time and I've tried PS's clone, pattern, healing and an Alienware
    filter. Still can't get close to EdiTor's job w/Photoline-32.

    RBrickston, Sep 15, 2007
  14. RBrickston

    > In article <HYAGi.59613$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "RBrickston" <> wrote in message
    >> > I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is
    >> > getting
    >> > really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    >> > across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack
    >> > is
    >> > not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >> >
    >> > Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >> >
    >> > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >> >
    >> > The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000
    >> > dpi.
    >> > Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and
    >> > levels
    >> > only.
    >> >
    >> > Here's where I'm at so far:
    >> >
    >> > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >> >
    >> > Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?
    >> >

    >> http://douglas-jones.com/chevelle5.jpg
    >> I spent about 25 minutes with my own home made program.
    >> dj
    >>

    > Good job, but you have that lump going across the hood. This is the
    > results I got going beyond what's in the picture I posted. Still having a
    > tough time and I've tried PS's clone, pattern, healing and an Alienware
    > filter. Still can't get close to EdiTor's job w/Photoline-32.

    Sorry I can't help with CS3 or Photoline-32. I've never edited pics before.
    Just thought I'd
    see what I could write a program to do. I'm like the engineer who builds
    the race car. Still need a driver. I think good editing takes some special
    talent.
    DJ

    Doug Jones, Sep 15, 2007
  15. RBrickston

    EdiTOR Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:26:24 GMT, RBrickston <> wrote:

    >In article <HYAGi.59613$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "RBrickston" <> wrote in message
    >> > I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    >> > really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    >> > across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    >> > not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >> >
    >> > Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >> >
    >> > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >> >
    >> > The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    >> > Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    >> > only.
    >> >
    >> > Here's where I'm at so far:
    >> >
    >> > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >> >
    >> > Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?
    >> >

    >> http://douglas-jones.com/chevelle5.jpg
    >> I spent about 25 minutes with my own home made program.
    >> dj
    >>

    >Good job, but you have that lump going across the hood. This is the
    >results I got going beyond what's in the picture I posted. Still having a
    >tough time and I've tried PS's clone, pattern, healing and an Alienware
    >filter. Still can't get close to EdiTor's job w/Photoline-32.

    Just for the heck of it ... since this photo is nearing a worse-case scenario in
    some common problems that everyone faces at times, I thought I'd put a few more
    minutes into playing with it. It's a good photo for anyone to practice their
    restoration techniques on. The link below is what you can do with the unmodified
    scan that you posted when using only Photoline 32 on it after about 15 minutes.
    No other plugins, no special gimmicks, just the tools in Photoline. I applied a
    little adaptive blur to it just to take away some of that noise from the
    low-resolution pixelation and jpg artifacts. Otherwise it looked too
    over-processed on these smaller samples. I suppose it could use a little more
    detail recovery, but ... I got tired of playing with it.

    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1129/1384396964_9fe97ed6fd_o.jpg

    It's interesting to flip between the two as an overlay to see how they differ,
    in "before" and "after" views.

    Photoline is really worth learning how to use, especially for image restoration.
    With the "Preview Copy" option turned on for the cloning brush it makes most of
    restoration a breeze, by seeing exactly what you want to clone and where it's
    going to be by how much before you do it.

    Hmmm... I suppose I shouldn't have erased that photo date printed in the border.
    I just noticed that. Oh well....

    EdiTOR, Sep 15, 2007
  16. RBrickston

    Dave Cohen Guest

    RBrickston wrote:
    > In article <HYAGi.59613$>,
    > says...
    >> "RBrickston" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    >>> really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    >>> across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    >>> not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    >>>
    >>> Here is the original unmodified scan:
    >>>
    >>> http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    >>>
    >>> The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    >>> Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    >>> only.
    >>>
    >>> Here's where I'm at so far:
    >>>
    >>> http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    >>>
    >>> Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?
    >>>

    >> http://douglas-jones.com/chevelle5.jpg
    >> I spent about 25 minutes with my own home made program.
    >> dj
    >>

    > Good job, but you have that lump going across the hood. This is the
    > results I got going beyond what's in the picture I posted. Still having a
    > tough time and I've tried PS's clone, pattern, healing and an Alienware
    > filter. Still can't get close to EdiTor's job w/Photoline-32.

    The reason Editor's job is so good is because he knows what he is doing.
    I've never used PS and never heard of Photoline-32 and I'll take
    people's word for it that they are both very good. I've tried playing
    with The Gimp and others but I always return to my trusty PhotoPlus
    because I know it better than others. All the packages will do a broad
    subset of the same functions, some a little easier than others, but the
    key is to know the package you are using and lots of practice.
    I played with that image a little and while the clone tool or scratch
    remover works well, I found the smudge tool does a nice job of blending.
    Like I said it's practice and experimentation. For those of us who used
    to do our own enlarging with b&w, it's a lot easier on the budget than
    playing with photo printing. The same comments could be said for your
    favorite word processor or the camera itself, assuming you're comparing
    comparable models.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 15, 2007
  17. RBrickston

    RBrickston Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > RBrickston wrote:
    > > I'm using PS 7, mostly the healing brush, but this old snapshot is getting
    > > really difficult in some areas, particularly the horizontal cracking
    > > across the hood, the variation of shadows on either side of the crack is
    > > not allowing me to get a good cloning area.
    > >
    > > Here is the original unmodified scan:
    > >
    > > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle1.jpg
    > >
    > > The original was a consumer 3.5" x 3.5" photo which I scanned at 2000 dpi.
    > > Before I started with the Healing Brush, I did a color balance and levels
    > > only.
    > >
    > > Here's where I'm at so far:
    > >
    > > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle2.jpg
    > >
    > > Would CS3 help here or perhaps some other program?
    > >

    > You can pretty well fix this picture with Photoshop Elements 5 as it has
    > various features intended for this type of correction. It takes a bit
    > of practice, and lots of patience, but you can do much with it.

    Surely not more than PS7. I'm still trying. I know the basic technique and
    have experience doing this exact fix. However, the the horizontal crack
    across the hood is surrounded by shading/coloration that is problematic.

    RBrickston, Sep 15, 2007
  18. RBrickston

    RBrickston Guest

    OK, I figured out what is going on here. I did this in about 3 minutes:

    http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle-Orig-Scan-Web-
    MYFixwsmudge.jpg

    I used PS7's smudge tool and simply blasted the crack with it. Here's why
    it works: 72 DPI. I believe that with 20 minutes I could do as well, if
    not better than Editor's effort. No slam on him, but it's rather easy with
    a low resolution image. Trying it on the high resolution version makes for
    a complicated mess for the inexperienced. So its back to the drawing
    board.

    RBrickston, Sep 15, 2007
  19. RBrickston

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:36:52 GMT, RBrickston wrote:

    > OK, I figured out what is going on here. I did this in about 3 minutes:
    >
    > http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z240/rbrickston/Chevelle-Orig-
    > Scan-Web-MYFixwsmudge.jpg
    >

    > I used PS7's smudge tool and simply blasted the crack with it. Here's why
    > it works: 72 DPI. I believe that with 20 minutes I could do as well, if
    > not better than Editor's effort. No slam on him, but it's rather easy with
    > a low resolution image. Trying it on the high resolution version makes for
    > a complicated mess for the inexperienced. So its back to the drawing
    > board.

    Feel free to slam. :) Complicating the assessment is that EdiTOR
    is not only a sock puppet capable of making absurd claims, but
    enjoys being a chain yanker. He claims to have taken many award
    winning photos but will destroy them rather than let them be seen by
    others. Just a few hours ago he claimed to be able to take good,
    blur free shots in dim light, handheld, with a 432mm lens, with a 1
    second shutter speed. Maybe this incarnation of the "CHDK /
    Photoline 32 / anti-DSLR Sock Puppet Troll" will stick around beyond
    this thread, but that rarely happens. It usually pops up with new
    name designed to relate to either the thread subject or to insults
    he's trying to make. Here are some of the names already used. If
    he follows previous form, a new one will be used to reply to mine.

    ASAAR, Sep 15, 2007
  20. RBrickston

    Ron Hunter Guest

    EdiTOR wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:26:24 GMT, RBrickston <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <HYAGi.59613$>,
    >> says...
    >>> "RBrickston" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://douglas-jones.com/chevelle5.jpg
    >>> I spent about 25 minutes with my own home made program.
    >>> dj
    >>>

    >> Good job, but you have that lump going across the hood. This is the
    >> results I got going beyond what's in the picture I posted. Still having a
    >> tough time and I've tried PS's clone, pattern, healing and an Alienware
    >> filter. Still can't get close to EdiTor's job w/Photoline-32.

    > Just for the heck of it ... since this photo is nearing a worse-case scenario in
    > some common problems that everyone faces at times, I thought I'd put a few more
    > minutes into playing with it. It's a good photo for anyone to practice their
    > restoration techniques on. The link below is what you can do with the unmodified
    > scan that you posted when using only Photoline 32 on it after about 15 minutes.
    > No other plugins, no special gimmicks, just the tools in Photoline. I applied a
    > little adaptive blur to it just to take away some of that noise from the
    > low-resolution pixelation and jpg artifacts. Otherwise it looked too
    > over-processed on these smaller samples. I suppose it could use a little more
    > detail recovery, but ... I got tired of playing with it.
    >
    > http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1129/1384396964_9fe97ed6fd_o.jpg
    >
    > It's interesting to flip between the two as an overlay to see how they differ,
    > in "before" and "after" views.
    >
    > Photoline is really worth learning how to use, especially for image restoration.
    > With the "Preview Copy" option turned on for the cloning brush it makes most of
    > restoration a breeze, by seeing exactly what you want to clone and where it's
    > going to be by how much before you do it.
    >
    > Hmmm... I suppose I shouldn't have erased that photo date printed in the border.
    > I just noticed that. Oh well....

    Why? That is where a photo date BELONGS.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 15, 2007