  1. I may need a new optical drive soon - all my machines are filled with DVD's,
    will this make any sense and is it connecting to IDE without any drivers?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Tony Sperling

    philo Guest

    "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I may need a new optical drive soon - all my machines are filled with
    >DVD's, will this make any sense and is it connecting to IDE without any
    >drivers?
    >

    > Tony. . .

    Blue Ray is pretty expensive...
    if you have a lot of stuff to back up...it may be cheaper and easier to buy
    an external harddrive.

    For the price of Blue Ray...you could probably buy *two* external HD's and
    back up to both of them
    and still have change left over!
    philo, Dec 10, 2007

  3. Honestly, Philo is right. External eSATA, USB or FireWire make a lot more
    sense. Even for offsite - just ship the drives off in rotation. Buy Blu-Ray
    if you want to play BluRay DVDs. But buy HDs for backup.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 10, 2007
  4. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    I am using a network hard disk for backup.
    A little slow, but it does the job nicely.
    Mine is a Conceptronic one:
    http://www.conceptronic.net/site/de...=60&grp=6030&ar=452&Prod_ID=1287&Prod=CHD3LAN
    And you can plug it to any ethernet female connector everywhere you go.
    I also has an usb connector for direct PC connection.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 10, 2007
  5. A good solution. I used to install tape drives on every server. These days I
    use hard disks exclusively. (I currently use an iSCSI SAN as a shared
    solution, but some day I'm going to have to let them have it back. Too bad,
    I LOVE my EqualLogic SAN.
    http://www.equallogic.com/products/view.aspx?id=1989 )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 10, 2007
  6. Tony Sperling

    BENAGLIA Guest

    I work with a total of 5 external Hd, both USB and Firewire, and they are
    really the solution for big data storage and backup.
    You have take into consideration that with external disk's you would have
    all your material in one or two external drives and this would be of great
    help in searching and so on. I used to store on RW Dvd's and it was always a
    hassle to go through a couple of hundred to find some little file that was
    stored 6 or 10 months ago.
    BluRay is great technology but still extremely expensive considering the
    storage space you would have with a good external drive.

    Andy

    messaggio news:...

    BENAGLIA, Dec 10, 2007
  7. Many thanks to all!

    This wasn't originally my idea - a friend-of-a-friend asked me and I told
    him I usually didn't recommend saving the money when new technology was
    concerned - as long as you would be needing the new technology within a
    reasonably short time-frame.

    The trouble with him, though, is that I don't think he is likely to store
    all those HD's away from the office, so I'll probably leave him to make his
    own mind up on the subject.

    Then one of my own DVD Rom's started whining a bit, I got curious. My B/U
    needs are modest, I could still safe-copy most of my personal data onto
    three old Floppies, so BlueRay can definitely wait. The trouble with burning
    CD's is mostly the inconvenience, I sure miss Nero's InCD functionality!!!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 12, 2007
  8. Tony Sperling

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    You can get almost 9GB of data files on a DL DVD right now. Unless you
    are backing up a ton of music files, uncompressed video files or making
    an image of your hard disk, why would you need Blu-Ray or HD-DVD to back
    up data? Maybe in a few years, as files get more and more bloated, it
    will be needed, but not at the moment. Besides, the HD burners are still
    outrageously priced, as is the blank media.

    JB

    jabloomf1230, Dec 12, 2007
  9. As I said, for me it CAN wait - I have tons of ISO's (for various OS's on
    four different dual-booting machines), that would be nice to keep in one
    place for a while, but I don't really NEED to back them up - I'm on 10Mb/s
    broadband! I'm not buying USB HD's for the sole purpose of doing that. If
    BR's were poised to take over the market within the next year, I would
    consider one of those instead of buying yet another 'out-of-time' DVD
    (Eight, are quite enough as it is!).

    As for that 'other' guy, I'll be happy to let him make up his own mind
    wether he prefers carrying a stack of HD's/DVD's or BR's with him.

    The only really important issue, is if any of the current standard B/U app's
    can handle BlueRay, out of the box, or if you will be needing drivers and
    stuff that your OS will have to support as well?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 13, 2007