    treatment?

    Thanks,
    Art Harris

    Art Harris, Mar 3, 2006

  2. Art Harris

    Craig Guest

    "Art Harris" <> wrote...

    > I'm an avid road bicyclist and would like to bring my new digital
    > camera along on my rides. All my riding is on paved roads, but with
    > tires pumped to 100 psi there can be a fair amount of shock and
    > vibration when going over bumps or rough spots. If the camera is kept
    > in a padded handlebar bag, will it likely survive this type of
    > treatment?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Art Harris

    It'll be interesting to see what others say. My thoughts are that it could
    do damage and I'd think a padded waist-worn fanny pack may be a bit better.
    It also seems possible that a zoomless camera could be more stable than one
    with lots of moving parts. It might also be a good idea to check out some
    web sites for shock-resistance of various brands/models of cameras:
    http://www.dpreview.com/

    Craig

    Craig, Mar 3, 2006

  3. Art Harris

    Martin Brown Guest

    Art Harris wrote:

    > I'm an avid road bicyclist and would like to bring my new digital
    > camera along on my rides. All my riding is on paved roads, but with
    > tires pumped to 100 psi there can be a fair amount of shock and
    > vibration when going over bumps or rough spots. If the camera is kept
    > in a padded handlebar bag, will it likely survive this type of
    > treatment?

    Yes unless it looks flimsy. My Canon Ixus has survived a couple of cycle
    tours in a pannier without coming to any serious harm. If anything they
    are more robust than film SLR cameras. Some are more robust than others.

    Weakest point is the LCD display if there are any nasty pointy spanners
    or tools in there with it. All bets are off if you crash though.

    Worth having something soft like bubble wrap under and around it as
    cushioning if you are worried. I worry more about it being rained on.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Art Harris

    Guest

    I have two digital cameras - an SLR and a good point-and-shoot.
    Because of its small size and not wanting to miss anything, I take the
    P&S everywhere when I travel. This camera is in a simple padded bag
    and always either travels around my neck or in a backpack. This is on
    purpose - so that it never experiences direct mechanical shock unless
    the bag itself gets dropped on the floor. On a bicycle, I'd find a way
    to either have it attached to myself or in a pack (similar to backpack
    or something similar used with bikes), to provide the addition shock
    absorption.

    , Mar 3, 2006
  5. Art Harris

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Art Harris" <> wrote in message
    > I'm an avid road bicyclist and would like to bring my new digital
    > camera along on my rides. All my riding is on paved roads, but with
    > tires pumped to 100 psi there can be a fair amount of shock and
    > vibration when going over bumps or rough spots. If the camera is kept
    > in a padded handlebar bag, will it likely survive this type of
    > treatment?

    Biggest threat my cam faces is from other things inside the handlebar bag,
    so I put the cam in a small padded pouch designed for it. Unless you're dong
    cyclocross, you should be OK. I've carted my cams on a variety of bike paths
    on Cape Cod (MA, USA) that can get very bumpy, and I've never had an issue.

    Kinon O'Cann, Mar 3, 2006
  6. Per Art Harris:
    >I'm an avid road bicyclist and would like to bring my new digital
    >camera along on my rides. All my riding is on paved roads, but with
    >tires pumped to 100 psi there can be a fair amount of shock and
    >vibration when going over bumps or rough spots. If the camera is kept
    >in a padded handlebar bag, will it likely survive this type of
    >treatment?

    I often carry a small camera in my belt pack. Only problem I've had are the
    screws that hold the case together working out and getting lost. It's
    currently held together with mylar packing tape...
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Mar 3, 2006
  7. Art Harris wrote:
    > I'm an avid road bicyclist and would like to bring my new digital
    > camera along on my rides. All my riding is on paved roads, but with
    > tires pumped to 100 psi there can be a fair amount of shock and
    > vibration when going over bumps or rough spots. If the camera is kept
    > in a padded handlebar bag, will it likely survive this type of
    > treatment?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Art Harris

    I cycle with my Nikon Coolpix in a custom-made padded bag which fits in my
    winter jacket pocket. When the summer comes I guess I will have to find a
    way to sling the bag around my shoulders on a strap. Don't think I'll ever
    risk it in the handlebar bag.

    As for my Panasonic DZ30, I'm afraid it will stay at home! Too big, too many
    things to shake about, too expensive to risk!

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Mar 3, 2006
  8. Art Harris

    m Ransley Guest

    Wear it on yourself , why risk it. You will have absorbed most
    everything by the time it reaches the camera.

    m Ransley, Mar 3, 2006
  9. In article <>, "Art Harris" <> wrote:
    >I'm an avid road bicyclist and would like to bring my new digital
    >camera along on my rides.

    Art, I've carried my Olympus C-700 in a waistpack on most club rides Saturday
    and Sunday for a number of years. (Photos are posted on the club's web site
    immediately upon getting home.) I'll sometimes leave this fairly big and
    heavy camera at home if the ride is particularly grotesque, but that's totally
    for my benefit, not the camera's. I've not knowingly had any issues.

    For the more typical digital camera, much more light and compact that the Oly,
    it seems particularly unlikely to be a problem.

    Art

    Arthur Shapiro, Mar 3, 2006
  10. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Thanks for all the responses. I have a small, padded Case Logic case,
    and plan to put that inside a handlebar-mounted bag. Hopefully that
    will provide enough shock isolation.

    I had thought of using a fanny pack, but I really don't like things
    hanging off me when I ride. And if I take a spill, the camera is
    probably safer in the handlebar bag (at least I won't land on top of
    it!).

    I had even considered buying a cheap (no-zoom, no frills) camera since,
    most of my bike trip photos will be sun lit scenery. But I'm going to
    be optimistic and hope for the best. At least no one had a real horror
    story to share.

    Pete, I'll watch out for those loose screws! See you on "wreck bike."

    Art Harris

    Art Harris, Mar 3, 2006
  11. Art Harris

    jean Guest

    I take my 10D very often on a rear rack (ToPeak), the serial number has
    completely rubbed off, the LCD screen has a weird spot which looks like dust
    but inside where I can clean it and one time the on/off switch stopped
    working but cured itself after working it a few times. A DSLR is bigger and
    heavier so stands more chance of damage from vibration and aside from the
    above mentionned, it still works great, the on/off switch is perfect now, so
    it could have been cold weather. I carried a Drebel too when I had one and
    all my previous cameras. The one I liked best for on bike picture taking
    was a Coolpix 995. Naturally a DSLR will produce better pics and if you are
    worried about weight then it's not a good choice.

    Jean

    A few pics from a cycling trip from Calgary to San-Francisco at
    http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/vacances_2005 On that trip, I carried a 10D
    with a 17-40 f4 L and a 75-300 f4-5,6 IS zoom lens.

    jean, Mar 4, 2006
  12. Art Harris

    Guest

    I have had one of those small Sony AM/FM/TV/Wx radios ride inside my
    handlebar bag and found that the thread-like wire wound around the
    ferrite bar developed a break--so your concern should be taken
    seriously.

    , Mar 4, 2006
  13. Art Harris

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Art Harris wrote:
    > I'm an avid road bicyclist and would like to bring my new digital
    > camera along on my rides. All my riding is on paved roads, but with
    > tires pumped to 100 psi there can be a fair amount of shock and
    > vibration when going over bumps or rough spots. If the camera is kept
    > in a padded handlebar bag, will it likely survive this type of
    > treatment?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Art Harris

    It will likely survive longer than you will. Some padding might improve
    the ride.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2006
  14. Canon put out an advisory on the 300D to not subject it to shaking in order
    to prevent damage.
    That's the only instance of such that I've ever come across.

    Jeroen Wenting, Mar 4, 2006
  15. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Art Harris, Mar 4, 2006
  16. Art Harris

    Dave Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >I'm an avid road bicyclist and would like to bring my new digital
    >camera along on my rides. All my riding is on paved roads, but with
    >tires pumped to 100 psi there can be a fair amount of shock and
    >vibration when going over bumps or rough spots. If the camera is kept
    >in a padded handlebar bag, will it likely survive this type of
    >treatment?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Art Harris

    I just put a small PS in a plastic bag, to protect it from sweat, and put
    it in my Jersey pocket. No problems. I have even considered getting one
    of either the water resistant or water proof models to eliminate the
    plastic bag. I'm a good shock absorber. I may get beat up by all the pot
    holes in the streets, but the camera is fine.

    Dave Nelson

    Dave, Mar 4, 2006
  17. Per Dave:
    >I'm a good shock absorber.

    Same here. No problems except for a few screws coming loose with a camera in my
    belt pack over a period of a couple of years.

    OTOH I'd have some reservations about the OP's original idea about putting it in
    a handlebar bag. I suspect that I toasted an iPod by putting it in a saddle
    bag when riding to work.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Mar 4, 2006
  18. Art Harris

    jean Guest

    > Jean wrote:
    >
    > > A few pics from a cycling trip from Calgary to San-Francisco
    > > http://www.pbase.com/jeandr/vacances_2005

    > Great pictures! I liked those open highway shots. And no cars in sight
    > (even in the gas station)!

    Thanks, ride safe ;-)

    Jean

    jean, Mar 4, 2006
  19. Art Harris

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Jeroen Wenting wrote:
    > Canon put out an advisory on the 300D to not subject it to shaking in order
    > to prevent damage.
    > That's the only instance of such that I've ever come across.
    >
    > "Art Harris" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm an avid road bicyclist and would like to bring my new digital
    >> camera along on my rides. All my riding is on paved roads, but with
    >> tires pumped to 100 psi there can be a fair amount of shock and
    >> vibration when going over bumps or rough spots. If the camera is kept
    >> in a padded handlebar bag, will it likely survive this type of
    >> treatment?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Art Harris

    Perhaps they should define 'shaking'. Does that mean not to take it on
    a train, or a rough road in your SUV, or not to mount it on a paint
    mixing machine?

    Ron Hunter, Mar 4, 2006
  20. Art Harris

    MB Guest

    Re: Will Bicycling Damage a Digital Camera? Plastic bag?

    I would think that putting a DC in a plastic bag isn't a very good idea-- a
    certain amount of condensation is normal, with changing temperatures, and
    the moisture should be allowed to evaporate quickly. In a plastic bag, it
    can't.

    MB, Mar 5, 2006