    ticket items, but I haven't purchased anything expensive enough from B&H to
    justify trying to negotiate the price down.

    Has anyone had any experience with B&H in this regard?
    PTRAVEL, Jul 22, 2003

  2. PTRAVEL

    Mark M Guest

    "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message
    news:bfjvaf$fe2k1$-berlin.de...
    > I'm poised to buy my Canon 10d and, probably, a Tamron 19-35mm lens as

    well.

    > B&H and J&R, both of whom I've bought from in the past and trust, have the
    > camera for $1499 with free shipping. J&R will deal a little on higher
    > ticket items, but I haven't purchased anything expensive enough from B&H

    > justify trying to negotiate the price down.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with B&H in this regard?

    Why would they feel any need to "deal" on an item they cannot keep on their
    shelf for even one day?? B&H is not some mom and pop organization. They
    are the largest camera store in the world. They don't "deal" to my
    knowledge.
    Mark M, Jul 22, 2003

  3. PTRAVEL

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <bfjvaf$fe2k1$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > I'm poised to buy my Canon 10d and, probably, a Tamron 19-35mm lens as well.
    >
    > B&H and J&R, both of whom I've bought from in the past and trust, have the
    > camera for $1499 with free shipping. J&R will deal a little on higher
    > ticket items, but I haven't purchased anything expensive enough from B&H to
    > justify trying to negotiate the price down.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with B&H in this regard?

    They are the best mail order photography business on the web. Why not
    let them make a few bucks?

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 22, 2003
  4. PTRAVEL

    rs11 Guest

    B&H stopped dealing years ago when they were on 17th st and you could buy
    for "Cash"
    Certain items can be bought elsewhere cheaper but they are worth any small
    difference in price. I just purchased the Nikon D100 and 4 lenses and Flash
    from them.
    Been buying from them for over 30 years, wouldn't buy camera's anywhere
    else.
    Rob

    rs11, Jul 22, 2003
  5. PTRAVEL

    Mark B. Guest

    "PTRAVEL" <> wrote in message
    > I'm poised to buy my Canon 10d and, probably, a Tamron 19-35mm lens as

    well.

    > B&H and J&R, both of whom I've bought from in the past and trust, have the
    > camera for $1499 with free shipping. J&R will deal a little on higher
    > ticket items, but I haven't purchased anything expensive enough from B&H

    > justify trying to negotiate the price down.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience with B&H in this regard?

    They have no reason to. Their prices are competitive - not the highest and
    not the lowest - but they have without question the BEST reputation of any
    NY (or anywhere in the U.S. for that matter) photography dealer. I've been
    buying regularly from B&H since the early 90's, and have never felt the need
    to ask for a price break.

    Mark
    Mark B., Jul 22, 2003
  6. In article <>, Mark B.
    <> wrote:

    > > I'm poised to buy my Canon 10d and, probably, a Tamron 19-35mm lens as
    > >well.
    > > B&H and J&R, both of whom I've bought from in the past and trust, have the
    > > camera for $1499 with free shipping. J&R will deal a little on higher
    > > ticket items, but I haven't purchased anything expensive enough from B&H
    > >to justify trying to negotiate the price down.
    > >
    > > Has anyone had any experience with B&H in this regard?
    > >

    > They have no reason to. Their prices are competitive - not the highest and
    > not the lowest - but they have without question the BEST reputation of any
    > NY (or anywhere in the U.S. for that matter) photography dealer. I've been
    > buying regularly from B&H since the early 90's, and have never felt the need
    > to ask for a price break.

    The first time I bought from them, my experience with NY dealers lead
    me to at least try it. No soap - the salesman wasn't at all interested
    in haggling. In retrospect, that alone elevated them above the crowd in
    my eyes.
    Scott Schuckert, Jul 23, 2003
  7. PTRAVEL

    HRosita Guest

    >PTRAVEL wrote:

    >I'm poised to buy my Canon 10d and, probably, a Tamron 19-35mm lens as well.
    >
    >B&H and J&R, both of whom I've bought from in the past and trust, have the
    >camera for $1499 with free shipping. J&R will deal a little on higher
    >ticket items,

    Last week I saw the Minolta Elite 5400 in stock at J&R. I had ordered it at
    PCNation which was lower with free shipping.

    The I saw on the product detail page the following sentence:

    Have you seen a lower price? Click Here

    I did, click, filled out the form and soon got an e-mail from them to call a
    certain number. I did and they matched PCNation's price, including the free
    shipping.
    I had it in my hot little hands 3 days later.

    Rosita
    HRosita, Jul 23, 2003
  8. PTRAVEL

    Winston Guest

    Dragan Cvetkovic <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > On the other hand, my order might have been too small for negotiations: if
    > I was ordering 600mm/f4 Canon lens, his story might have been different (or
    > maybe not).

    I chuckled when you mentioned a "Canon" when you mentioned the 600 f4.
    Any 600 f4 (even a Soligor), would be a sizeable chunk of change.

    Have a good day.
    Winston, Jul 23, 2003
  9. PTRAVEL

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <they have without question the BEST reputation of any NY (or anywhere in the
    U.S. for that matter) photography dealer.>

    Thank you.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    BandHPhoto, Jul 25, 2003
  10. PTRAVEL

    PTRAVEL Guest

    "BandHPhoto" <> wrote in message
    > <they have without question the BEST reputation of any NY (or anywhere in

    the
    > U.S. for that matter) photography dealer.>
    >
    > Thank you.
    > - --
    >
    > regards,
    > Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    > http://www.bhphotovideo.com

    Just to be clear, the reputation of B&H was never a question for me and,
    you'll be happy to know, I just ordered my 10d, a Tokina lens and a CF card,
    from B&H today. A painless transaction (and no charge for shipping!),
    pleasant sales person and "order confirmer" (credit card confirmed on the
    spot), and a very fair price (I didn't try to bargain ;) ).

    BTW, On one of my trips to New York, I stopped by B&H -- what an amazing
    place! Every still and video camera toy I can imagine, helpful sales people
    and a checkout system like something out of Disneyland (for those who have
    never been, the merchandise is sent to the cash registers via an elaborate
    overhead conveyor system).
    PTRAVEL, Jul 28, 2003
  11. PTRAVEL

    golden67 Guest

    On some items B&H has a link "E-Mail ME For A Better Price". If you
    click on this they will immediately E-Mail you a lower price quote.
    Albert

    golden67, Jul 28, 2003
  12. golden67 <> writes:

    > On some items B&H has a link "E-Mail ME For A Better Price". If you
    > click on this they will immediately E-Mail you a lower price quote.

    I suspect this isn't so much dealing/haggling/etc. as being required by their
    contract with certain suppliers to list prices at the MSRP (manufacturer
    suggest retail price). They can offer the item at a lower price, but they
    can't advertise it at that lower price.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 28, 2003
  13. PTRAVEL

    golden67 Guest

    Michael,
    You are absolutely right.
    Albert

    golden67, Jul 28, 2003
  14. PTRAVEL

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <I suspect this isn't so much dealing/haggling/etc. as being required by their
    contract with certain suppliers to list prices at the MSRP (manufacturer
    suggest retail price). They can offer the item at a lower price, but they
    can't advertise it at that lower price.>

    More accurately it's the result of MAP - Minimum Advertised Price - agreements,
    not MSRP. Your statement <They can offer the item at a lower price, but they
    can't advertise it at that lower price.> is correct. Each manufacturer's MAP
    agreement now includes web-related considerations. Each is different. Some
    permit the e-mail link, some requrie a second intermediary step, some require
    we make the customer phone us.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    BandHPhoto, Jul 29, 2003
  15. PTRAVEL

    JK Guest

    Why aren't MAP agreements illegal? They seem to be very anticompetative.

    JK, Jul 29, 2003
  16. PTRAVEL

    JK Guest

    Another one of my rants is about why cameras aren't sold in factory
    sealed boxes that come with tamper proof seals? Why I buy a camera,
    I want to make sure it is factory fresh, and not one that someone played
    with then returned, or one that a store used as a demo model for a while.

    JK, Jul 29, 2003
  17. PTRAVEL

    BandHPhoto Guest

    <Why aren't MAP agreements illegal?>

    Because they're voluntary and because they don't set the selling price. Good or
    bad, that's the way the law's written.
    - --

    regards,
    Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com
    BandHPhoto, Aug 1, 2003
  18. JK <> writes:

    > Why aren't MAP agreements illegal? They seem to be very
    > anticompetative.

    There are over here. $250,000 max for first offence, about
    $6M for second I think.

    --
    Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
    +61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
    Paul Repacholi, Aug 2, 2003
  19. PTRAVEL

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Mark M writes:

    > Why would they feel any need to "deal" on an item
    > they cannot keep on their shelf for even one day??
    > B&H is not some mom and pop organization. They are
    > the largest camera store in the world. They don't
    > "deal" to my knowledge.

    Personally, I don't like stores that "deal." If they do that, it means
    that they are selling merchandise for higher prices than they really
    need, in the hopes that some people will pay the prices without
    negotiating. That seems unethical to me. They should put the lowest
    price they are willing to sell for on the box, and then stick with that.
    If that price is low enough for me, I'll pay it without complaint; if it
    is not, I'll take my business elsewhere. Very simple and very
    efficient.

    Mxsmanic, Aug 3, 2003
  20. Mxsmanic <> writes:

    > Paul Repacholi writes:

    >> If it had been `bussness as usual' the fault would have been
    >> spotted at the counter, and he would have been given another.

    > And what would happen to the defective one?

    Back to manf, or what ever for repair and replace. With some, you also
    put the serial no in a little black book for checking of incoming
    stock.

    Paul Repacholi, Aug 4, 2003