    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Aug 21, 2004

  2. ArtKramr

    Thor Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a DELL 2400 and want to add an external hard disk. Can I go to

    Fry's and
    > buy any brand, any type any specs of HD with USB ports and hook it on and
    > expect it to work l fine or is there some special model I need?

    Most USB drives are USB 2.0 and also backward compatible with USB 1.1, so
    regardless it should work ok, barring extreme age on the part of your
    computer. What are the specs on your Dell and what version of windows are
    you using?

    Thor, Aug 22, 2004

  3. ArtKramr

    Thor Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a DELL 2400 and want to add an external hard disk. Can I go to

    > Fry's and
    > > buy any brand, any type any specs of HD with USB ports and hook it on

    and
    > > expect it to work l fine or is there some special model I need?

    > Most USB drives are USB 2.0

    That should read "most recently made USB drives are USB 2.0".

    Thor, Aug 22, 2004
  4. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >ubject: Re: Will any hard disk do?
    >From: "Thor"
    >Date: 8/21/2004 4:19 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a DELL 2400 and want to add an external hard disk. Can I go to

    >Fry's and
    >> buy any brand, any type any specs of HD with USB ports and hook it on and
    >> expect it to work l fine or is there some special model I need?

    >Most USB drives are USB 2.0 and also backward compatible with USB 1.1, so
    >regardless it should work ok, barring extreme age on the part of your
    >computer. What are the specs on your Dell and what version of windows are
    >you using?

    It's a brand new DELL Dimension 2400 using Windows XP. Is that ok?

    Arthur Kramer

    ArtKramr, Aug 22, 2004
  5. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Will any hard disk do?
    >From: "Thor"
    >Date: 8/21/2004 4:30 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >

    >"Thor" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> > I have a DELL 2400 and want to add an external hard disk. Can I go to

    >> Fry's and
    >> > buy any brand, any type any specs of HD with USB ports and hook it on

    >and
    >> > expect it to work l fine or is there some special model I need?

    >> Most USB drives are USB 2.0

    >That should read "most recently made USB drives are USB 2.0".

    Thanks again.

    ArtKramr, Aug 22, 2004
  6. ArtKramr

    Thor Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > >ubject: Re: Will any hard disk do?
    > >From: "Thor"
    > >Date: 8/21/2004 4:19 PM Pacific Standard Time
    > >

    > >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > >> I have a DELL 2400 and want to add an external hard disk. Can I go to

    > >Fry's and
    > >> buy any brand, any type any specs of HD with USB ports and hook it on

    and
    > >> expect it to work l fine or is there some special model I need?

    > >Most USB drives are USB 2.0 and also backward compatible with USB 1.1, so
    > >regardless it should work ok, barring extreme age on the part of your
    > >computer. What are the specs on your Dell and what version of windows are
    > >you using?
    > >

    > It's a brand new DELL Dimension 2400 using Windows XP. Is that ok?

    Yep. You shouldn't need to install any drivers or software. WinXP will
    recognize it as external storage right out of the box. USB 2.0 transfer
    rates are great as well. Should be nice and fast.

    Thor, Aug 22, 2004
  7. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Will any hard disk do?
    >From: "Thor"
    >Date: 8/21/2004 7:38 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> >ubject: Re: Will any hard disk do?
    >> >From: "Thor"
    >> >Date: 8/21/2004 4:19 PM Pacific Standard Time
    >> >

    >> >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> >Fry's and

    >and
    >> >
    >> >Most USB drives are USB 2.0 and also backward compatible with USB 1.1, so
    >> >regardless it should work ok, barring extreme age on the part of your
    >> >computer. What are the specs on your Dell and what version of windows are
    >> >you using?
    >> >

    >> It's a brand new DELL Dimension 2400 using Windows XP. Is that ok?

    >Yep. You shouldn't need to install any drivers or software. WinXP will
    >recognize it as external storage right out of the box. USB 2.0 transfer
    >rates are great as well. Should be nice and fast.

    Great. Is there any brand you prefer?

    ArtKramr, Aug 22, 2004
  8. ArtKramr

    Thor Guest

    > >> It's a brand new DELL Dimension 2400 using Windows XP. Is that ok?

    > >Yep. You shouldn't need to install any drivers or software. WinXP will
    > >recognize it as external storage right out of the box. USB 2.0 transfer
    > >rates are great as well. Should be nice and fast.
    > >

    > Great. Is there any brand you prefer?

    not really.

    Thor, Aug 22, 2004
  9. ArtKramr

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: Will any hard disk do?
    >From: "Thor"
    >Date: 8/22/2004 4:41 AM Pacific Standard Time

    >> >Yep. You shouldn't need to install any drivers or software. WinXP will
    >> >recognize it as external storage right out of the box. USB 2.0 transfer
    >> >rates are great as well. Should be nice and fast.
    >> >

    >> Great. Is there any brand you prefer?

    >not really.

    Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

    ArtKramr, Aug 22, 2004
  10. ArtKramr

    Bill Seas Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > I have a DELL 2400 and want to add an external hard disk. Can I go to

    Fry's and
    > buy any brand, any type any specs of HD with USB ports and hook it on and
    > expect it to work l fine or is there some special model I need?
    >

    > Arthur Kramer
    > 344th BG 494th BS
    > England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    I haven't had any problem using a couple of the WD Ext. usb 2.0 HD

    Keep all my data on it... Portable etc.

    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=62

    Bill Seas, Aug 22, 2004