will a 4x/8x agp video card work on a 4x mobo?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by JD, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    the mobo is an MSI km2m (model 6738) -- socket A, AMD mobo with a crappy on
    board 32mb ram video card (shares memory with the system memory). The mobo
    specs say the video interface is 4x. The card I want is a 4x/8x agp MSI
    GeForce 128mb for $29 from newegg. Would a 4x/8x card work in a 4x mobo?
    I've read conflicting things about it on the internet. Several sources say
    that a 4x/8x video card will only work in a 4x/8x mobo. Does this mean
    it'll work on either a 4x or a 8x mobo, or does it mean it'll only work on
    a mobo that specifically says "video interface: 4x/8x"? I assume the "/"
    means it'll work on either system -- 4x or 8x. But again, the MSI specs
    say just "4x".

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127121

    Also, do I need more RAM for this newer video card? Do I need to install
    more ram onto the mobo to get the full 128mb video? Or is that additional
    memory capacity already built into the video card? Thanks for any help.
    I'm not a huge gamer and thus am ignorant about video card specs and all.
    I just play older games that don't need a $400 video card -- like
    "Interstate '76". Interstate '76 plays well on the 32mb built in video,
    but will probably ROCK on the 128mb video!

    JD, Jan 22, 2006

  2. JD

    JD Guest

    JD wrote:
    > the mobo is an MSI km2m (model 6738) -- socket A, AMD mobo with a crappy on
    > board 32mb ram video card (shares memory with the system memory). The mobo
    > specs say the video interface is 4x. The card I want is a 4x/8x agp MSI
    > GeForce 128mb for $29 from newegg. Would a 4x/8x card work in a 4x mobo?
    > I've read conflicting things about it on the internet. Several sources say
    > that a 4x/8x video card will only work in a 4x/8x mobo. Does this mean
    > it'll work on either a 4x or a 8x mobo, or does it mean it'll only work on
    > a mobo that specifically says "video interface: 4x/8x"? I assume the "/"
    > means it'll work on either system -- 4x or 8x. But again, the MSI specs
    > say just "4x".
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127121
    >
    > Also, do I need more RAM for this newer video card? Do I need to install
    > more ram onto the mobo to get the full 128mb video? Or is that additional
    > memory capacity already built into the video card? Thanks for any help.
    > I'm not a huge gamer and thus am ignorant about video card specs and all.
    > I just play older games that don't need a $400 video card -- like
    > "Interstate '76". Interstate '76 plays well on the 32mb built in video,
    > but will probably ROCK on the 128mb video!

    An 8x AGP GFX card will work in the motherboard at 4x.
    You will not need to purchase any more RAM, as the card contains the
    128Mb on board, it will also free up to 32mb of your system ram as you
    will be disabling the on board GFX.

    JD
    JD, Jan 22, 2006