    particular would the fact that its 5400 rather than 7200 make a
    significant difference?

    Thanks!
    Travis, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Travis

    Stevo Guest

    Travis wrote:
    > I have a system that currently has one 30GB hard drive that runs at
    > 7200.
    >
    > I am disassembling one of my older PCs that contains a 10GB 5400 hard
    > drive.
    >
    > I am considering using the second hard drive in my PC to house a Win98
    > partition while using my main 30GB hard drive for XP in my dual boot
    > system.
    >
    > Would installing the 10GB 5400 as a slave severely slow my system? In
    > particular would the fact that its 5400 rather than 7200 make a
    > significant difference?
    >
    > Thanks!

    The rotation speed of the drive will only make it marginally slower for
    access than the 7200 rpm one. More importantly - are both the drives
    ATA-133/100/66 etc interfaces? If you mix two interface types on the same
    cable, then they will both perform at the *slower* speed. To be safe, if you
    are usure as to the interface speed, put the second older drive on the
    secondary IDE port and see how it goes.

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Travis

    Smoker Guest

    "Travis" <> wrote in message
    > I have a system that currently has one 30GB hard drive that runs at
    > 7200.
    >
    > I am disassembling one of my older PCs that contains a 10GB 5400 hard
    > drive.
    >
    > I am considering using the second hard drive in my PC to house a Win98
    > partition while using my main 30GB hard drive for XP in my dual boot
    > system.
    >
    > Would installing the 10GB 5400 as a slave severely slow my system? In
    > particular would the fact that its 5400 rather than 7200 make a
    > significant difference?

    No. They should be detected at and operate at their respective speeds even
    if on the same IDE. You can use a benchmark test to see the difference.
    Smoker, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Travis <> wrote in

    > I have a system that currently has one 30GB hard drive that runs at
    > 7200.
    >
    > I am disassembling one of my older PCs that contains a 10GB 5400 hard
    > drive.
    >
    > I am considering using the second hard drive in my PC to house a Win98
    > partition while using my main 30GB hard drive for XP in my dual boot
    > system.
    >
    > Would installing the 10GB 5400 as a slave severely slow my system? In
    > particular would the fact that its 5400 rather than 7200 make a
    > significant difference?
    >
    > Thanks!

    no

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm
    Bebop & Rocksteady, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Looking for a Registry checker???

    Looking for a full version...

    Thanks.
    mark.t.heffron, Oct 11, 2003
  6. Travis

    B.Al.Zeebub Guest

    "Stevo" <> wrote in message
    > Travis wrote:
    > > I have a system that currently has one 30GB hard drive that runs at
    > > 7200.
    > >
    > > I am disassembling one of my older PCs that contains a 10GB 5400 hard
    > > drive.
    > >
    > > I am considering using the second hard drive in my PC to house a Win98
    > > partition while using my main 30GB hard drive for XP in my dual boot
    > > system.
    > >
    > > Would installing the 10GB 5400 as a slave severely slow my system? In
    > > particular would the fact that its 5400 rather than 7200 make a
    > > significant difference?
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > The rotation speed of the drive will only make it marginally slower for
    > access than the 7200 rpm one. More importantly - are both the drives
    > ATA-133/100/66 etc interfaces? If you mix two interface types on the same
    > cable, then they will both perform at the *slower* speed. To be safe, if

    you
    > are usure as to the interface speed, put the second older drive on the
    > secondary IDE port and see how it goes.
    >
    > --
    > Stevo
    > (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)

    Ditto with your optical drive. Then you'll be able to easily add a second
    hard disk on your primary IDE channel should you need more room later. 30Gb
    will fill up fast under WinXP.
    B.Al.Zeebub, Oct 11, 2003
  7. Travis

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 11, 2003
  8. Travis

    Travis Guest

    More importantly - are both the drives
    >> ATA-133/100/66 etc interfaces? If you mix two interface types on the same
    >> cable, then they will both perform at the *slower* speed. To be safe, if

    >you
    >> are usure as to the interface speed, put the second older drive on the
    >> secondary IDE port and see how it goes.
    >> Stevo

    >Ditto with your optical drive. Then you'll be able to easily add a second
    >hard disk on your primary IDE channel should you need more room later. 30Gb
    >will fill up fast under WinXP.

    Guys, thanks for the help thus far.

    However, now I have another question as to how to set this up.

    My 30GB hd is a Maxtor that supports ATA 5 for 100 MB/Sec

    My 20GB hd is a WD that supports ATA 4 for 66.6 MB/Sec.

    Now, I know that you both suggested hooking the newer one up to the
    primary IDE port and the slower one to the secondary IDE port. The
    problem is that I also have two CDRom drives: one is a reader, the
    other a CDR.

    Any suggestions? Thanks again!
    Travis, Oct 12, 2003
  9. Travis

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Travis said:

    > More importantly - are both the drives
    >>> ATA-133/100/66 etc interfaces? If you mix two interface types on the same
    >>> cable, then they will both perform at the *slower* speed. To be safe, if you
    >>> are usure as to the interface speed, put the second older drive on the
    >>> secondary IDE port and see how it goes.
    >>> Stevo

    >> Ditto with your optical drive. Then you'll be able to easily add a second
    >> hard disk on your primary IDE channel should you need more room later. 30Gb
    >> will fill up fast under WinXP.

    > Guys, thanks for the help thus far.
    >
    > However, now I have another question as to how to set this up.
    >
    > My 30GB hd is a Maxtor that supports ATA 5 for 100 MB/Sec
    >
    > My 20GB hd is a WD that supports ATA 4 for 66.6 MB/Sec.
    >
    > Now, I know that you both suggested hooking the newer one up to the
    > primary IDE port and the slower one to the secondary IDE port. The
    > problem is that I also have two CDRom drives: one is a reader, the
    > other a CDR.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Thanks again!

    Most people recommend a HDD and a ROM on each IDE
    Brian H¹©, Oct 12, 2003
  10. Travis

    Harrison Guest

    0-0 HDD
    0-1 CD
    1-0 HDD
    1-1 CDR

    Harrison, Oct 12, 2003
  11. Travis

    Stevo Guest

    Travis wrote:
    > More importantly - are both the drives
    >>> ATA-133/100/66 etc interfaces? If you mix two interface types on
    >>> the same cable, then they will both perform at the *slower* speed.
    >>> To be safe, if you are usure as to the interface speed, put the
    >>> second older drive on the secondary IDE port and see how it goes.
    >>> Stevo

    >> Ditto with your optical drive. Then you'll be able to easily add a
    >> second hard disk on your primary IDE channel should you need more
    >> room later. 30Gb will fill up fast under WinXP.

    > Guys, thanks for the help thus far.
    >
    > However, now I have another question as to how to set this up.
    >
    > My 30GB hd is a Maxtor that supports ATA 5 for 100 MB/Sec
    >
    > My 20GB hd is a WD that supports ATA 4 for 66.6 MB/Sec.
    >
    > Now, I know that you both suggested hooking the newer one up to the
    > primary IDE port and the slower one to the secondary IDE port. The
    > problem is that I also have two CDRom drives: one is a reader, the
    > other a CDR.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Thanks again!

    That might pose some problems for maximum performance but it might not make
    a lot of difference in your day to day use.

    I'd suggest the new HDD and CDR on the primary port, the other HDD and CD-RW
    on the other... HDD's as masters, CD Drives as slaves in both cases..

    But the CD-R is likely to be ATA66 so that port will run at that speed.

    The other alternative is to get another plug in Dual IDE controller to give
    you a couple more ports..

    Stevo, Oct 12, 2003
  12. Travis

    Travis Guest

    >But the CD-R is likely to be ATA66 so that port will run at that speed.

    I checked the specs on my CDROM drive and was unable to come up with
    the transfer rate. The CDRom is a 50x.

    Is there any sort of benchmark test that I might be able to run that
    would determine the transfer rate on both IDE's? Thanks again, you
    guys are really helping me out. :)
    Travis, Oct 12, 2003
  13. Travis

    Stevo Guest

    Travis wrote:
    >> But the CD-R is likely to be ATA66 so that port will run at that
    >> speed.
    >>

    > I checked the specs on my CDROM drive and was unable to come up with
    > the transfer rate. The CDRom is a 50x.
    >
    > Is there any sort of benchmark test that I might be able to run that
    > would determine the transfer rate on both IDE's? Thanks again, you
    > guys are really helping me out. :)

    I haven't seen any ATA100/133 CD drives but there might be some..

    In all honesty, you are unlikely to really be affected by the slower
    transfer speed, there is oftware around that will test the transfer rates
    but in the end is it worth doing that? If you are *really* worried about
    losing performance then just spring for an add on IDE controller card to run
    the CD-ROM and leave the fast drive on the primary port on its lonesome.

    Stevo, Oct 12, 2003
  14. Travis

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Travis mused:

    | I checked the specs on my CDROM drive and was unable to come up with
    | the transfer rate. The CDRom is a 50x.

    Most newer CD-ROMs are ATA-33. But, the belief that running two drives
    of different speeds on the same IDE channel will cause both to run at the
    slower of the two speeds may be a bit outdated. While once true, it's not
    so much any longer. Of course, when copying from one drive to the other ...

    | Is there any sort of benchmark test that I might be able to run that
    | would determine the transfer rate on both IDE's? Thanks again, you
    | guys are really helping me out. :)

    SysSoft Sandra. Have an ATA-100 and ATA-66 drive on Primary Channel,
    and both benchmark near their respective speeds.
    mhicaoidh, Oct 13, 2003
  15. Howdy!

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Travis mused:
    > |
    > | I checked the specs on my CDROM drive and was unable to come up with
    > | the transfer rate. The CDRom is a 50x.
    >
    > Most newer CD-ROMs are ATA-33. But, the belief that running two

    drives
    > of different speeds on the same IDE channel will cause both to run at the
    > slower of the two speeds may be a bit outdated. While once true, it's not
    > so much any longer. Of course, when copying from one drive to the other

    <nod> As soon as you say "ATA_33" or higher, it's not true.

    So, as long as you have valid chipset drivers, you've got dual-FIFO
    and "they don't slow each other down". If you don't have the right chipset,
    then you don't get UltraDMA anyway ... so it's "bog slow" , "even slower",
    and "Boy, I can see the bits changing on the wire!" <B-)

    > | Is there any sort of benchmark test that I might be able to run that
    > | would determine the transfer rate on both IDE's? Thanks again, you
    > | guys are really helping me out. :)
    >
    > SysSoft Sandra. Have an ATA-100 and ATA-66 drive on Primary Channel,
    > and both benchmark near their respective speeds.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 13, 2003
  16. Travis

    Mike H Guest

    wrote:

    > More importantly - are both the drives
    >>> ATA-133/100/66 etc interfaces? If you mix two interface types on the same
    >>> cable, then they will both perform at the *slower* speed. To be safe, if

    >>you
    >>> are usure as to the interface speed, put the second older drive on the
    >>> secondary IDE port and see how it goes.
    >>> Stevo

    >>Ditto with your optical drive. Then you'll be able to easily add a second
    >>hard disk on your primary IDE channel should you need more room later. 30Gb
    >>will fill up fast under WinXP.

    >Guys, thanks for the help thus far.
    >
    >However, now I have another question as to how to set this up.
    >
    >My 30GB hd is a Maxtor that supports ATA 5 for 100 MB/Sec
    >
    >My 20GB hd is a WD that supports ATA 4 for 66.6 MB/Sec.
    >
    >Now, I know that you both suggested hooking the newer one up to the
    >primary IDE port and the slower one to the secondary IDE port. The
    >problem is that I also have two CDRom drives: one is a reader, the
    >other a CDR.
    >
    >Any suggestions? Thanks again!

    If you are into copying CDs directly you might want to have your CD
    and Burner on seperate channels. On some motherboards I have had
    problems if they are on the same channel as master/slave. They had
    problem transfering data at the same time on the same channel. Burned
    a fair number of coasters before learning better. If you don't care
    then you can alway keep them on the same channel and make images then
    burn.

    Regarding the hard drive slowing the system. It depends on how much
    you access the drives. I accidentilly bought(and returned it later
    with a lot of shouting :)) a 5400 drive instead of the 7200 and I
    noticed that there was a noticable difference when running them.
    Copying files, operating system etc. If you where only using it to
    store data it won't matter much but if you plan to play games off it
    you will notice it.

    Since you are putting in win98 I would suspect you are gonna be
    playing games off it. At least that is what I am doing 98 for games
    (ME isnt stable enough for me on my machine - to many crashes and
    other problems) 2k for everything else. Still havent gone to XP on my
    personal machine :)

    My suggestion on setup would be:

    30Gig
    C: DOS = 1Gig or 500 Meg
    D: 98 = 20 Gig
    E: XP = 20 Gig
    The sizes depend on what you plan on using the OS's for. I find that
    the C drive needs more than 150 MB for some games and some stuff will
    still get put there no matter where you install it.

    10 Gig
    Use for storage.

    You might also want to setup another partition on the 30 gig for games
    or programs or just install into the drive you are using the OS on.

    I use partition magic and have never had problems with it yet - know
    on wood - ouch that hurt.

    Reason for the C: DOS partition - on my machine I have 2k running on
    an NTFS partition. If it crashes I can get into it from the Dos
    partition. Also, it helps for the boot manager incase I want to
    reinstall/change OS's.

    I am making a lot of assumptions here and I know you didnt ask about
    setting up your comp regarding partitions. You can take what you need
    and discard the rest :)
    Life is like a box of chocolates. If you leave it in the sun it will melt
    Mike H, Oct 24, 2003