    new machine.

    Thank you in advance,

    Angel

    Angel, Jan 15, 2010

  2. Angel

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 15/01/2010 in message <> Angel
    wrote:

    >Help needed,
    >
    >I have a question: Background: I have a machine with 98SE operating system.
    >My software is 32 bit: example Office '97, Adobe 6, Corel Word Perfect
    >2000.
    >I am planning to buy a new computer in the near future. I would like to
    >know
    >if I can use my software on a Win7-64 bit machine or do I need a Win7-64
    >bit. machine, or won't they work on neither of them. I also have a Flash
    >drive 1.1 that I am backing up my files and will be transferring them to a
    >new machine.

    Pretty well all 32 bit programs will run on 64 bit Windows. No 16 bit
    programs will run, they are pretty rare but some 32 bit programs have 16
    bit installers. Autoroute Express v4 is an example of a program that won't
    run (it's about the same age as Office 97).

    You will probably get separate answers for the programs you mention - I
    can confirm that Office 97 installs and runs but you won't be able to
    apply SR2 as it attempts to update a system font and the OS won't let it.

    I haven't used the other programs you mention.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 15, 2010

  3. Angel

    Carlos Guest

    Angel,
    32-bit software will usually work fine on a 64-bit machine as long as:
    1.- It doesn't need to install a 32-bit driver and/or
    2.- It doesn't have a 16 bit installer
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jan 15, 2010
  4. Angel

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Angel.

    I can echo what the others have said: Almost all 32-bit software will work
    fine in Win7 x64.

    > My software is 32 bit: example Office '97, Adobe 6, Corel Word Perfect
    > 2000.

    Adobe 6 WHAT? Adobe makes many products. I've been running their Photoshop
    Elements versions 3, 4, 6 and now 8; 4 and 6 ran on Vista x64, 6 and 8 run
    fine on Win7 Ultimate x64.

    Adobe's Flash Player is one of the few apps that give me a problem, and
    Adobe is well aware of it. Win7 x64 comes with TWO versions of IE8, the
    32-bit version and the 64-bit version; the 32-bit version runs by default.
    Flash will not run in a 64-bit browser, but it works fine in the 32-bit IE8
    in 64-bit Windows.

    WordPerfect was my favorite word processor 20 years ago, before I switched
    to Microsoft Word, and I loved the Calendar in the WP Library suite. But
    that calendar won't run in 64-bit Windows, so I had to leave it behind when
    I moved to Vista x64.

    But MOST of your software will move to Win7 x64 with no problems at all.
    ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jan 15, 2010
  5. In addition to what others have said here, if you buy Win7 Professional or
    Ultimate, you'll also have the option to run Windows VPC and XP Mode if your
    new computer supports hardware virtualization. This gives you a fully
    integrated Windows XP virtual machine that you can run inside Windows 7 and
    that should run even your 16-bit applications.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 15, 2010
  6. Angel

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 15/01/2010 in message <>
    David Kerber wrote:

    >Office 97 installs and runs fine on Win7 x64; I just did it last week.

    Have you tried to install SR1 and SR2?

    --
    Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
    There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those

    Jeff Gaines, Jan 15, 2010