    never visited a Wildtangent site, and here it was on my computer in a folder
    names WT under Windows and another one in my Program Files. What the heck
    is the deal with this? I have recently uninstalled all related files.
    Cammie, Oct 25, 2003

  2. Cammie

    Robert Baer Guest

    Cammie wrote:

    > I have a real problem with programs put onto my system without my consent,
    > and even worse, ones that can "phone home" info to and from my computer. I
    > never visited a Wildtangent site, and here it was on my computer in a folder
    > names WT under Windows and another one in my Program Files. What the heck
    > is the deal with this? I have recently uninstalled all related files.

    Well, do not allow call-in connections!
    Firstly, use an exernal modem and make sure the software does not
    program it to answer.
    Secondly, use the BIOS to disable "wake-on LAN" and related
    foolishness.
    If you are paranoid or anal-retentive, then password your system at
    the BIOS level and all other possible places, using mixed case *random*
    characters and digits of 6 or more total length.

    Uninstalling only removes *some* of the crap.
    Use search and look for various names related to that program; use
    RegEdit and do likewise.
    Robert Baer, Oct 26, 2003

  3. I know HP puts this software on their systems before shipping, Dell may too
    I'm not sure. What brand is your computer?

    --
    Andrew Watiker

    Visit My Website: http://andrewwatiker.alturl.com
    or
    http://andrewwatiker.homeip.net:81

    "All We Are Saying is Give Peace a Chance."
    - John Lennon

    Peace & Love.
    "Robert Baer" <> wrote in message
    > Cammie wrote:
    > >
    > > I have a real problem with programs put onto my system without my

    consent,
    > > and even worse, ones that can "phone home" info to and from my computer.

    > > never visited a Wildtangent site, and here it was on my computer in a

    folder
    > > names WT under Windows and another one in my Program Files. What the

    heck
    > > is the deal with this? I have recently uninstalled all related files.

    > Well, do not allow call-in connections!
    > Firstly, use an exernal modem and make sure the software does not
    > program it to answer.
    > Secondly, use the BIOS to disable "wake-on LAN" and related
    > foolishness.
    > If you are paranoid or anal-retentive, then password your system at
    > the BIOS level and all other possible places, using mixed case *random*
    > characters and digits of 6 or more total length.
    >
    > Uninstalling only removes *some* of the crap.
    > Use search and look for various names related to that program; use
    > RegEdit and do likewise.

    ---
    Andrew Watiker, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Cammie

    Cammie Guest

    "Andrew Watiker" <> wrote in message
    > I know HP puts this software on their systems before shipping, Dell may

    too
    > I'm not sure. What brand is your computer?

    It's Dell but I've had it 3 years and it just appeared, I read somewhere I
    just happened upon a site, possible the one I visited for new AOL buddy
    icons and it loaded it on my puter without my knowledge.
    Cammie, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Cammie

    Jeremy Guest

    A lot of free icon sites come with spyware, it is a harvesting
    technique. Install ad-aware, a trojan remover and at least a firewall
    like zone alarm, all can be had for free.

    JJ

    Jeremy, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Cammie

    Cammie Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > A lot of free icon sites come with spyware, it is a harvesting
    > technique. Install ad-aware, a trojan remover and at least a firewall
    > like zone alarm, all can be had for free.

    I had zone alarm and liked it, but I couldn't get it to work along with my
    Callwave answering machine, it blocked my calls.
    Cammie, Oct 27, 2003
  7. On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:47:41 GMT, "Cammie" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a real problem with programs put onto my system without my consent,
    >and even worse, ones that can "phone home" info to and from my computer. I
    >never visited a Wildtangent site, and here it was on my computer in a folder
    >names WT under Windows and another one in my Program Files. What the heck
    >is the deal with this? I have recently uninstalled all related files.

    Never heard of WILDTANGENT, but you may have a problem with spyware
    which is spying software installed sometimes without your knowledge or
    consent by websites. I recommend a good spyware eliminator program
    like "Spybot-Search and Destroy" which is donation ware as well as
    being very good at what it does.

    Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
    Lubbock, Texas
    kinserlow at hotmail dot com