Wildcard + Opera =Bitch

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Alt-Ctrl-Del, Oct 1, 2005.

  1. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Alt-Ctrl-Del Guest

    I need someone to help me out with the wildcards that I need to use in
    Opera's adblock. I downloaded the filter.ini file with all the normal
    addresses listed, about 500 or so it looks like and the freaking banners
    still get through here and there.
    So if it is not too much trouble I am asking someone to copy the best
    wildcards out of their Opera filter.ini file and post them here so I can
    copy them and put them in mine.

    In Firefox, it is easy to use their wildcard system and I have the usual
    ones like: */ad/*, */ads/*, */banners/*, and http://z1.adserver.com and
    about 10 or 15 more and Firefox blocks virtually everything with just this
    small # of wildcards.

    Or if you don't want to do that, just give me the correct format for the
    Opera wildcards and I will take the ones I have in Firefox and reformat
    them to work in Opera. Surely you don't have to have 500 or 600 listings
    in Opera's filter.ini file to stop all the files.

    Thanks,
    Alt

    Alt-Ctrl-Del, Oct 1, 2005

  2. Alt-Ctrl-Del

    Trax Guest

    "Alt-Ctrl-Del" <AltCtrlDel@äää.òÕÿÿÿÿâÞ> wrote:

    |>I need someone to help me out with the wildcards that I need to use in
    |>Opera's adblock. I downloaded the filter.ini file with all the normal
    |>addresses listed, about 500 or so it looks like and the freaking banners
    |>still get through here and there.
    |>So if it is not too much trouble I am asking someone to copy the best
    |>wildcards out of their Opera filter.ini file and post them here so I can
    |>copy them and put them in mine.
    |>
    |>In Firefox, it is easy to use their wildcard system and I have the usual
    |>ones like: */ad/*, */ads/*, */banners/*, and http://z1.adserver.com and
    |>about 10 or 15 more and Firefox blocks virtually everything with just this
    |>small # of wildcards.
    |>
    |>Or if you don't want to do that, just give me the correct format for the
    |>Opera wildcards and I will take the ones I have in Firefox and reformat
    |>them to work in Opera. Surely you don't have to have 500 or 600 listings
    |>in Opera's filter.ini file to stop all the files.

    Try a different route, and use a hosts file
    http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html
    http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
    What is a hosts file
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    I use Opera, ads are block'd and I don't have a filter.ini.

    --
    Flight to Hyperion
    http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/videos/video-details.cfm?videoID=97

    Trax, Oct 1, 2005