Wild dogs pose for the D300

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sosumi, Dec 31, 2007.

  1. Sosumi

    Sosumi Guest

    The other day I went to a one horse village called Runa, close to my home in
    Portugal, to take some pictures of an abandoned RR station, when I saw these
    two wild dogs. I tried my best to have them come to me, but no way. They did
    seem to like the D300, because they took turns in posing for me!

    When I came home, I looked at the pictures and they all seemed out of focus!
    I finally found it: the dynamic focus area was set to 51 point 3D. Now I
    assumed it would not be active if you choose Single point AF with the AF
    area selector. But it doesn't seem to focus on the target. Look at the
    pictures. I focused on the dogs heads, but they are not sharp. It seems
    right after or before they are. Is this a flaw or overlooked issue? I talked
    to the importer and they were very eager to get my camera fixed. Like they
    knew about it? Maybe I just overlooked something, but the manual isn't very
    helpful either. Anybody know why?

    Another question is the AF Area selection. Why would you choose 9 or 21
    points if you have 51? Does it save battery time? Does it have other
    advantages?

    Even if you have the AF selector on single or dynamic and in the menu you
    have 9 points, you can still choose any of the 51 points. Any answers?

    Sorry, I'm a little lost, like my two new RR dog friends ;-)

    http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog1.jpg

    http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog2.jpg

    http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog3.jpg

    http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog4.jpg

    Aren't they precious?
    --
    Sosumi
    Sosumi, Dec 31, 2007

  2. Sosumi wrote:
    > The other day I went to a one horse village called Runa, close to my home in
    > Portugal, to take some pictures of an abandoned RR station, when I saw these
    > two wild dogs. I tried my best to have them come to me, but no way. They did
    > seem to like the D300, because they took turns in posing for me!
    >
    > When I came home, I looked at the pictures and they all seemed out of focus!
    > I finally found it: the dynamic focus area was set to 51 point 3D. Now I
    > assumed it would not be active if you choose Single point AF with the AF
    > area selector. But it doesn't seem to focus on the target. Look at the
    > pictures. I focused on the dogs heads, but they are not sharp. It seems
    > right after or before they are. Is this a flaw or overlooked issue? I talked
    > to the importer and they were very eager to get my camera fixed. Like they
    > knew about it? Maybe I just overlooked something, but the manual isn't very
    > helpful either. Anybody know why?
    >
    > Another question is the AF Area selection. Why would you choose 9 or 21
    > points if you have 51? Does it save battery time? Does it have other
    > advantages?
    >
    > Even if you have the AF selector on single or dynamic and in the menu you
    > have 9 points, you can still choose any of the 51 points. Any answers?
    >
    > Sorry, I'm a little lost, like my two new RR dog friends ;-)
    >
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog1.jpg
    >
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog2.jpg
    >
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog3.jpg
    >
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog4.jpg
    >
    > Aren't they precious?

    All the shots you show are focused as I would expect the wide area
    dynamic focus to work. It has selected the target of most contrast -
    which is what it always does - and you probably have the custom option
    for avoiding refocusing on passing foreground objects enabled (can't
    remember what option this is, but it stops the focus resetting if you
    are tracking a subject and a fencepost gets in front etc). This makes
    the wide area focus prefer backgrounds - with it turned off, the WA
    focus will generally prefer the closest area of high contrast detail.

    Your dogs are too insignificant and dark compared to the strong hard
    edges of the railroad or the grass and weeds. You would have to use spot
    focus and lock to get these right.

    David

    --
    Icon Publications Ltd, Maxwell Place, Maxwell Lane, Kelso TD5 7BB
    Company Registered in England No 2122711. Registered Office 12 Exchange
    David Kilpatrick, Dec 31, 2007

  3. Sosumi

    Sosumi Guest

    "David Kilpatrick" <> wrote in message
    > Sosumi wrote:
    >> The other day I went to a one horse village called Runa, close to my home
    >> in Portugal, to take some pictures of an abandoned RR station, when I saw
    >> these two wild dogs. I tried my best to have them come to me, but no way.
    >> They did seem to like the D300, because they took turns in posing for me!
    >>
    >> When I came home, I looked at the pictures and they all seemed out of
    >> focus! I finally found it: the dynamic focus area was set to 51 point 3D.
    >> Now I assumed it would not be active if you choose Single point AF with
    >> the AF area selector. But it doesn't seem to focus on the target. Look at
    >> the pictures. I focused on the dogs heads, but they are not sharp. It
    >> seems right after or before they are. Is this a flaw or overlooked issue?
    >> I talked to the importer and they were very eager to get my camera fixed.
    >> Like they knew about it? Maybe I just overlooked something, but the
    >> manual isn't very helpful either. Anybody know why?
    >>
    >> Another question is the AF Area selection. Why would you choose 9 or 21
    >> points if you have 51? Does it save battery time? Does it have other
    >> advantages?
    >>
    >> Even if you have the AF selector on single or dynamic and in the menu you
    >> have 9 points, you can still choose any of the 51 points. Any answers?
    >>
    >> Sorry, I'm a little lost, like my two new RR dog friends ;-)
    >>
    >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog1.jpg
    >>
    >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog2.jpg
    >>
    >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog3.jpg
    >>
    >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog4.jpg
    >>
    >> Aren't they precious?

    > All the shots you show are focused as I would expect the wide area dynamic
    > focus to work. It has selected the target of most contrast - which is what
    > it always does - and you probably have the custom option for avoiding
    > refocusing on passing foreground objects enabled (can't remember what
    > option this is, but it stops the focus resetting if you are tracking a
    > subject and a fencepost gets in front etc). This makes the wide area focus
    > prefer backgrounds - with it turned off, the WA focus will generally
    > prefer the closest area of high contrast detail.
    >
    > Your dogs are too insignificant and dark compared to the strong hard edges
    > of the railroad or the grass and weeds. You would have to use spot focus
    > and lock to get these right.
    >
    > David

    So let me get this straight: even if you have the AF area selector on Single
    Point AF (!), but the menu on 51 point 3D and you have the object in the
    middle point selected, it beeps, it still looks for another contrast place?

    --
    Sosumi
    Sosumi, Dec 31, 2007
  4. Sosumi

    Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:26:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Sosumi"
    <> wrote:

    >The other day I went to a one horse village called Runa, close to my home in
    >Portugal, to take some pictures of an abandoned RR station, when I saw these
    >two wild dogs. I tried my best to have them come to me, but no way. They did
    >seem to like the D300, because they took turns in posing for me!
    >
    >When I came home, I looked at the pictures and they all seemed out of focus!
    >I finally found it: the dynamic focus area was set to 51 point 3D. Now I
    >assumed it would not be active if you choose Single point AF with the AF
    >area selector. But it doesn't seem to focus on the target. Look at the
    >pictures. I focused on the dogs heads, but they are not sharp. It seems
    >right after or before they are. Is this a flaw or overlooked issue? I talked
    >to the importer and they were very eager to get my camera fixed. Like they
    >knew about it? Maybe I just overlooked something, but the manual isn't very
    >helpful either. Anybody know why?
    >
    >Another question is the AF Area selection. Why would you choose 9 or 21
    >points if you have 51? Does it save battery time? Does it have other
    >advantages?
    >
    >Even if you have the AF selector on single or dynamic and in the menu you
    >have 9 points, you can still choose any of the 51 points. Any answers?
    >
    >Sorry, I'm a little lost, like my two new RR dog friends ;-)
    >
    >http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog1.jpg
    >
    >http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog2.jpg
    >
    >http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog3.jpg
    >
    >http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog4.jpg
    >
    >Aren't they precious?

    Perhaps it's time to RTFM and take the camera out of AF-C mode?
    , Dec 31, 2007
  5. Sosumi

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/31/07 8:21 AM, in article ,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:26:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Sosumi"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> The other day I went to a one horse village called Runa, close to my home in
    >> Portugal, to take some pictures of an abandoned RR station, when I saw these
    >> two wild dogs. I tried my best to have them come to me, but no way. They did
    >> seem to like the D300, because they took turns in posing for me!
    >>
    >> When I came home, I looked at the pictures and they all seemed out of focus!
    >> I finally found it: the dynamic focus area was set to 51 point 3D. Now I
    >> assumed it would not be active if you choose Single point AF with the AF
    >> area selector. But it doesn't seem to focus on the target. Look at the
    >> pictures. I focused on the dogs heads, but they are not sharp. It seems
    >> right after or before they are. Is this a flaw or overlooked issue? I talked
    >> to the importer and they were very eager to get my camera fixed. Like they
    >> knew about it? Maybe I just overlooked something, but the manual isn't very
    >> helpful either. Anybody know why?
    >>
    >> Another question is the AF Area selection. Why would you choose 9 or 21
    >> points if you have 51? Does it save battery time? Does it have other
    >> advantages?
    >>
    >> Even if you have the AF selector on single or dynamic and in the menu you
    >> have 9 points, you can still choose any of the 51 points. Any answers?
    >>
    >> Sorry, I'm a little lost, like my two new RR dog friends ;-)
    >>
    >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog1.jpg
    >>
    >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog2.jpg
    >>
    >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog3.jpg
    >>
    >> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog4.jpg
    >>
    >> Aren't they precious?

    > Perhaps it's time to RTFM and take the camera out of AF-C mode?

    And have to MANUAL focus?!? The HORROR!!!!
    George Kerby, Dec 31, 2007
  6. Sosumi wrote:

    > So let me get this straight: even if you have the AF area selector on Single
    > Point AF (!), but the menu on 51 point 3D and you have the object in the
    > middle point selected, it beeps, it still looks for another contrast place?

    No idea. When testing the D300 and D3, I used spot central focus not
    wide area for standard aim-lock subjects. I used dynamic wide area for
    moving targets without any manual interference. Both options seem
    logical and both worked fine. If I used the dynamic wide area for static
    subejcts, I nearly always ended up with the wrong thing in focus
    (typically, the foreground) so I quit doing that after my first dozen or
    so reviewed shots. It was easy enough to tell from the rear screen
    review whether things were going as I wanted.

    David

    David Kilpatrick, Dec 31, 2007
  7. Sosumi

    Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:21:12 -0600, in rec.photo.digital George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    >On 12/31/07 8:21 AM, in article ,
    >"" <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 11:26:42 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Sosumi"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> When I came home, I looked at the pictures and they all seemed out of focus!
    >>> I finally found it: the dynamic focus area was set to 51 point 3D. Now I
    >>> assumed it would not be active if you choose Single point AF with the AF
    >>> area selector. But it doesn't seem to focus on the target. Look at the
    >>> pictures. I focused on the dogs heads, but they are not sharp. It seems
    >>> right after or before they are. Is this a flaw or overlooked issue? I talked
    >>> to the importer and they were very eager to get my camera fixed. Like they
    >>> knew about it? Maybe I just overlooked something, but the manual isn't very
    >>> helpful either. Anybody know why?
    >>>
    >>> Another question is the AF Area selection. Why would you choose 9 or 21
    >>> points if you have 51? Does it save battery time? Does it have other
    >>> advantages?
    >>>
    >>> Even if you have the AF selector on single or dynamic and in the menu you
    >>> have 9 points, you can still choose any of the 51 points. Any answers?
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, I'm a little lost, like my two new RR dog friends ;-)
    >>>
    >>> http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog1.jpg

    > Perhaps it's time to RTFM and take the camera out of AF-C mode?

    >And have to MANUAL focus?!? The HORROR!!!!

    No one is suggesting MF. AF-C by default will release the shutter when the
    camera hasn't locked focus (see options for release), there are also other
    interactions with dynamic FA.

    In the end it just might be that even the newer implementation of AF-C in
    the D300 still is lacking when it comes to stationary or near stationary
    subjects. I' have found that to be the case for the D200, and also the D70
    which lack the release setting option of the D200/D300.
    , Dec 31, 2007
  8. Sosumi

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Dec 31, 11:51 am, wrote:

    > In the end it just might be that even the newer implementation of AF-C in
    > the D300 still is lacking when it comes to stationary or near stationary
    > subjects. I' have found that to be the case for the D200,  and also the D70
    > which lack the release setting option of the D200/D300

    Maybe they will come out with a firmware upgrade to fix the problem.
    It is sad that Nikon floods the market with these prototypes without
    doing proper in-house testing. Do they think their customers are beta-
    testers?
    Annika1980, Dec 31, 2007
  9. Annika1980 wrote:

    >> In the end it just might be that even the newer implementation of
    >> AF-C in the D300 still is lacking when it comes to stationary or
    >> near stationary subjects. I' have found that to be the case for the
    >> D200, and also the D70 which lack the release setting option of the
    >> D200/D300

    > Maybe they will come out with a firmware upgrade to fix the problem.
    > It is sad that Nikon floods the market with these prototypes without
    > doing proper in-house testing. Do they think their customers are beta-
    > testers?

    LOL! Canon had to do something with all the faulty AF focusing units left
    over from the Mk III fiasco. Do you think they are stupid enough to throw
    them out?

    Rita
    Rita Ä Berkowitz, Dec 31, 2007
  10. Sosumi

    Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:59:24 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital Annika1980
    <> wrote:

    >On Dec 31, 11:51 am, wrote:
    >>
    >> In the end it just might be that even the newer implementation of AF-C in
    >> the D300 still is lacking when it comes to stationary or near stationary
    >> subjects. I' have found that to be the case for the D200,  and also the D70
    >> which lack the release setting option of the D200/D300

    >Maybe they will come out with a firmware upgrade to fix the problem.
    >It is sad that Nikon floods the market with these prototypes without
    >doing proper in-house testing. Do they think their customers are beta-
    >testers?

    They are just following Canon's lead, no?
    , Dec 31, 2007
  11. Sosumi

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Dec 31, 4:07 pm, wrote:

    > >Maybe they will come out with a firmware upgrade to fix the problem.
    > >It is sad that Nikon floods the market with these prototypes without
    > >doing proper in-house testing. Do they think their customers are beta-
    > >testers?

    > They are just following Canon's lead, no?

    You said it. Canon leads, Nikon follows.
    Canon Rules and Nikon Drools.
    Annika1980, Dec 31, 2007
  12. Sosumi

    Randy Howard Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:23:24 -0600, Annika1980 wrote
    (in article
    <>):

    > On Dec 31, 4:07 pm, wrote:
    >
    >>> Maybe they will come out with a firmware upgrade to fix the problem.
    >>> It is sad that Nikon floods the market with these prototypes without
    >>> doing proper in-house testing. Do they think their customers are beta-
    >>> testers?

    >> They are just following Canon's lead, no?

    > You said it. Canon leads, Nikon follows.
    > Canon Rules and Nikon Drools.

    Canon Fanbois Drool and Nikon users just laugh at them.

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    Randy Howard, Dec 31, 2007
  13. Sosumi

    Colin_D Guest

    Randy Howard wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:23:24 -0600, Annika1980 wrote
    > (in article
    > <>):

    >>> They are just following Canon's lead, no?

    >> You said it. Canon leads, Nikon follows.
    >> Canon Rules and Nikon Drools.

    > Canon Fanbois Drool and Nikon users just laugh at them.

    Hahahaha. A very weak attempt to turn the tables. Annika is right,
    Canon rules!

    Colin D.

    Colin_D, Jan 1, 2008
  14. On Dec 31 2007, 9:26 pm, "Sosumi" <> wrote:
    > The other day I went to a one horse village called Runa, close to my home in
    > Portugal, to take some pictures of an abandoned RR station, when I saw these
    > two wild dogs. I tried my best to have them come to me, but no way. They did
    > seem to like the D300, because they took turns in posing for me!
    >
    > When I came home, I looked at the pictures and they all seemed out of focus!
    > I finally found it: the dynamic focus area was set to 51 point 3D. Now I
    > assumed it would not be active if you choose Single point AF with the AF
    > area selector. But it doesn't seem to focus on the target. Look at the
    > pictures. I focused on the dogs heads, but they are not sharp. It seems
    > right after or before they are. Is this a flaw or overlooked issue? I talked
    > to the importer and they were very eager to get my camera fixed. Like they
    > knew about it? Maybe I just overlooked something, but the manual isn't very
    > helpful either. Anybody know why?
    >
    > Another question is the AF Area selection. Why would you choose 9 or 21
    > points if you have 51? Does it save battery time? Does it have other
    > advantages?
    >
    > Even if you have the AF selector on single or dynamic and in the menu you
    > have 9 points, you can still choose any of the 51 points. Any answers?
    >
    > Sorry, I'm a little lost, like my two new RR dog friends ;-)
    >
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog1.jpg
    >
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog2.jpg
    >
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog3.jpg
    >
    > http://atlantic-diesel.com/Dog4.jpg
    >
    > Aren't they precious?
    > --
    > Sosumi

    Hey Sosumi?
    Those bolts holding the rails in place were called "dogs" by the
    "fettlers" who used to drive the spikes into sleepers as they made the
    railways of the world. I know because I worked on the "trans
    Australian" standard gauge line across Australia's widest expanse of
    country back in about 1965. The paymaster used to motor out in an old
    1937 Daimler converted for rail travel. No steering wheel, just a
    driver's seat and a back seat for the paymaster.

    In those old days it went: Sleepers then "fish plates" onto which went
    the rails and then the dogs were driven into holes bored in the
    sleepers with a hand auger. A "wild dog" was when you missed the spike
    with your hammer and hit the line itself. Do it more than a few times
    a day and you got your "marching papers" (fired).

    I think a far more compelling picture is there than just rail lines
    with a dog. Of course they no longer use wooden sleepers and spikes
    but it is none the less a very valuable part of the history of rail
    and could turn your photo into a memorable work of art if you can just
    find a man made rail line to photograph and show the comparison.
    Personally I think the rail lines are a compelling image alone. The
    dog destroys or at least detracts from an otherwise excellent photo.

    PQOTD
    Prisilla, Queen of the Desert, Jan 1, 2008
  15. Sosumi

    C J Campbell Guest

    On 2007-12-31 03:26:42 -0800, "Sosumi" <> said:

    > The other day I went to a one horse village called Runa, close to my home in
    > Portugal, to take some pictures of an abandoned RR station, when I saw these
    > two wild dogs.

    Those dogs look like they are either very small, about the size of
    chihuahuas, or the tracks are huge. They must be puppies?

    --
    Waddling Eagle
    World Famous Flight Instructor
    C J Campbell, Jan 2, 2008
  16. Sosumi

    Guest

    On Jan 1, 3:23 pm, "Prisilla, Queen of the Desert"
    <> wrote:
    > I know because I worked on the "trans
    > Australian" standard gauge line across Australia's widest expanse of
    > country back in about 1965. The paymaster used to motor out in an old
    > 1937 Daimler converted for rail travel. No steering wheel, just a
    > driver's seat and a back seat for the paymaster.

    Fascinating story... But the trans australia rail line was completed
    in 1917. Perhasp Prissy is referring to repair work, or some of the
    alterations in the 60's to fix the gauge-change problems..

    So when and where was this, exactly, Prissy? I presume it is
    documented in some museum somewhere? I'm fascinated by rail history
    and would love to see more information about this, but there is
    nothing on the Internet about it, unless I'm missing something...
    , Jan 2, 2008
  17. Sosumi

    Sosumi Guest

    "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > On 2007-12-31 03:26:42 -0800, "Sosumi" <> said:
    >
    >> The other day I went to a one horse village called Runa, close to my home
    >> in
    >> Portugal, to take some pictures of an abandoned RR station, when I saw
    >> these
    >> two wild dogs.

    > Those dogs look like they are either very small, about the size of
    > chihuahuas, or the tracks are huge. They must be puppies?

    They are pretty small, but bigger than any Chihuahuas I've ever seen.
    The one with longer hair is an adult male, probably 2-3 years old and likely
    some terrier or schnauzer in it.
    The other seems more like a puppy; maybe 6 months or so. He or she was also
    very playful. Looks like some pincher blood.

    Funny characters, to find a home in a sort of sewer, so close to the tracks.
    But they seems smart enough to survive. Maybe some people are feeding them.
    The male started warning me yesterday with a big GRRRR.

    --
    Sosumi
    Sosumi, Jan 2, 2008
  18. Ï "Sosumi" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    > "C J Campbell" <> wrote in message
    > > On 2007-12-31 03:26:42 -0800, "Sosumi" <> said:
    > >
    > >> The other day I went to a one horse village called Runa, close to my

    home
    > >> in
    > >> Portugal, to take some pictures of an abandoned RR station, when I saw
    > >> these
    > >> two wild dogs.

    > > Those dogs look like they are either very small, about the size of
    > > chihuahuas, or the tracks are huge. They must be puppies?
    > >

    > They are pretty small, but bigger than any Chihuahuas I've ever seen.
    > The one with longer hair is an adult male, probably 2-3 years old and

    likely
    > some terrier or schnauzer in it.
    > The other seems more like a puppy; maybe 6 months or so. He or she was

    also
    > very playful. Looks like some pincher blood.
    >
    > Funny characters, to find a home in a sort of sewer, so close to the

    tracks.
    > But they seems smart enough to survive. Maybe some people are feeding

    them.
    > The male started warning me yesterday with a big GRRRR.

    Next time, come with a cat bodyguard.Meowww!
    www.picato.net

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jan 2, 2008
  19. Sosumi

    Allen Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    <snip>
    > Next time, come with a cat bodyguard.Meowww!

    Good suggestion. Two years ago my wife got a then-one-year-old black and
    tan hound. We have two cats, then 14 years old. The cats didn't really
    take to the dog (understatement) then or now. The dog will approach the
    larger of the cats (about 8 pounds) but is absolutely terrified of the
    smaller (about 4 or 5 pounds) who emits a very soft growl whenever the
    dog accidentally gets near. This growl, though very low volume, sounds
    like it is coming from an animal at least as large as the dog. Never
    underestimate a cat.
    Allen
    Allen, Jan 2, 2008
  20. Sosumi

    D-Mac Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Jan 1, 3:23 pm, "Prisilla, Queen of the Desert"
    > <> wrote:
    >> I know because I worked on the "trans
    >> Australian" standard gauge line across Australia's widest expanse of
    >> country back in about 1965. The paymaster used to motor out in an old
    >> 1937 Daimler converted for rail travel. No steering wheel, just a
    >> driver's seat and a back seat for the paymaster.

    > Fascinating story... But the trans australia rail line was completed
    > in 1917. Perhasp Prissy is referring to repair work, or some of the
    > alterations in the 60's to fix the gauge-change problems..
    >
    > So when and where was this, exactly, Prissy? I presume it is
    > documented in some museum somewhere? I'm fascinated by rail history
    > and would love to see more information about this, but there is
    > nothing on the Internet about it, unless I'm missing something...

    Here you go again... Spouting bullshit for the sake of hearing the keyboard
    rattle. Not only bullshit but slander too. Your behaviour never changes,
    does it?

    Here is the truth... Something Mark Thomas AKA Charles Stevens (neither are
    names he uses in real life) has no regard for.

    Not only has he got the date wrong by 5 years but for someone claiming to
    have lived in the area the line passes through, he hasn't a clue about it.

    (Quoted from http://users.tpg.com.au/users/ipether/ausrhist.html )

    The Trans Australian Railway was started in 1910 and took two years to
    construct, connecting the Eastern States with West Australia's Government
    Rail at Kalgoorlie.

    It took 70 years more to get the transcontinental connection of the Indian
    Pacific train as a single gauge trip across the country from Sydney to
    Perth.

    (end of quote)

    Using my advanced algorithm to calculate this complex math, I arrived at the
    date of 1980 as the time the *STANDARD GAUGE* conversion was finished.

    I have no idea what the poster whom you are slandering meant with their
    dates but very clearly you are showing your own stupidity in attacking
    him/her on a matter a 12 year old could verify in a Google instant.

    Exactly what is it about you "Mark" that has you making such a total idiot
    out of yourself all the time? Are you so obsessed with me that you can't
    think straight? Come on teach... Get it right or next year you'll be back in
    the bubs again... If you'll still have a job that is.

    D-Mac
    D-Mac, Jan 3, 2008