    from which spam is the only mail I receive. It would really simplify
    my attempts to eliminate most spam. Any suggestions would be welcome
    , Feb 7, 2005

  2. Z Guest

    wrote:
    > Is there any way to use wildcards in Thunderbird's filters? I would
    > like to block all sites from certain countries, viz., .de, .ru, etc,
    > from which spam is the only mail I receive. It would really simplify
    > my attempts to eliminate most spam. Any suggestions would be welcome

    Does Sender contains do what you want?

    Eg: Match any ... Sender contains .de, sender contains .ru ... etc
    Z, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Moz Champion Guest

    Z wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any way to use wildcards in Thunderbird's filters? I would
    >> like to block all sites from certain countries, viz., .de, .ru, etc,
    >> from which spam is the only mail I receive. It would really simplify
    >> my attempts to eliminate most spam. Any suggestions would be welcome

    > Does Sender contains do what you want?
    >
    > Eg: Match any ... Sender contains .de, sender contains .ru ... etc

    While that may be useful, why?

    Such filters are only useful as long as the sender uses that domain. The
    Junk Mail Controls do a much better job of catching spam than any number
    of filters do, and do so automatically, without the need to create,
    adjust, re-write and fine tweak filters.

    JMC catches over 99.2% of spam sent my way, over multiple addresses, on
    multiple systems, with no false positives in the last 8 months. i.e out
    of the last 569 spam messages sent to my various accounts, exactly 4
    were not picked up by JMC.

    For example, blocking senders from .de would also block the millions of
    legitimate senders from Germany, who dont spam. And spammers will change
    their addresses frequently, just to stiffle your filters, they even use
    legitimate addresses to send from. When you get thousands upon thousands
    of 'rejection' notices, from a message you never sent, your address was
    used to send out spam. What are you going to do then, filter yourself? <g>

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Feb 9, 2005