    language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    this problem?
    Scribner, Oct 20, 2006

  2. Scribner

    penguin676 Guest

    Scribner wrote:
    >A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    >language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    >my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    >this problem?

    Greetings;

    So, you're able to connect to the English language version of Wikipedia,
    but you don't want to be able to. You tried to set your firewall and
    antivirus programs to block that site, but they still allow you to see
    it.

    Can't you just stay away from it? Are you automatically redirected to
    that site somehow?

    Penguin must run. Have cookie will travel.
    -Chris
    penguin676, Oct 20, 2006

  3. Scribner

    Water Bear Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    > language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    > my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    > this problem?

    What problem?
    Water Bear, Oct 20, 2006
  4. Scribner grumbled surlily in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    > language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    > my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    > this problem?

    <TIC> Most people have a "problem" with *not* being able to connect to a
    site. Please explain what the "problem" is with being *able* to connect. Is
    it that you have something against the English version of Wikipedia? </TIC>

    Seriously, I presume you mean that you are *unable* to connect. More info
    please. What browser? Do you get any error messages? Have you blocked the
    site inadvertently somehow? A little more detail might be helpful in solving
    your problem.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com
    The Old Sourdough, Oct 20, 2006
  5. Scribner

    philo Guest

    "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    > A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    > language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    > my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    > this problem?

    I assume you mean *not* being able to connect

    did you recently raise your browser security level perhaps?

    check you settings to see if it ended up as a blocked site...

    or else add it to your trusted zone
    philo, Oct 20, 2006
  6. Scribner

    Mike Easter Guest

    Scribner wrote:
    > A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    > language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    > my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    > this problem?

    Do you get "This wiki does not exist' page if you click
    http://66.230.200.100/

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Oct 20, 2006
  7. Scribner

    Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Fri, 20 Oct
    2006 07:44:47 GMT, and Scribner <> vomited forth
    this bit of wisdom :

    >A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    >language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    >my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    >this problem?

    Lately I've been able to read and post to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.

    HELP!!!!!!!!!111111oneoneone
    Frosty, Oct 20, 2006
  8. Frosty wrote:
    > Lately I've been able to read and post to 24hoursupport.helpdesk.
    >
    > HELP!!!!!!!!!111111oneoneone

    Now *that* is a pretty serious problem.

    Jordan Greenberg, Oct 20, 2006
  9. Water Bear wrote:

    > "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    >> language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    >> my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    >> this problem?

    > What problem?

    Apparently he can connect to Wikipedia but doesn't want to -- but he
    just can't keep away from it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Oct 20, 2006
  10. Scribner

    Water Bear Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > Water Bear wrote:
    >>
    >> "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>>A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    >>> language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    >>> my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    >>> this problem?

    >> What problem?

    > Apparently he can connect to Wikipedia but doesn't want to -- but he
    > just can't keep away from it.

    Oh, that problem! I remember I had it too, a few years ago. Here's how I
    solved it: I asked my wife to keep an eye on me while I was surfing the net.
    Everytime the Wikipedia page popped on my screen she rushed to the breaker
    and turned off the power to the whole house. It took a few months of
    treatment, but I'm cured now.
    Water Bear, Oct 20, 2006
  11. Scribner

    Spuds Guest

    On 20 Oct 2006 17:38:22 GMT, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    >Water Bear wrote:
    >>
    >> "Scribner" <> wrote in message
    >>>A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    >>> language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    >>> my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    >>> this problem?

    >> What problem?

    >Apparently he can connect to Wikipedia but doesn't want to -- but he
    >just can't keep away from it.

    I have the same problem with rotten.com.

    --
    I got kicked out of Indigo for moving all
    the bibles to the "Fiction" section
    Spuds, Oct 20, 2006
  12. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:44:47 GMT, Scribner <>
    wrote:

    >A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    >language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    >my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    >this problem?

    Sorry. I have been sick for a month and I haven't slept in days. I
    meant that I was suddenly UNABLE to connect.
    Scribner, Oct 20, 2006
  13. Scribner

    Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    --
    Line Rider
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40255643/
  14. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:53:42 -0700, wrote:

    > Scribner <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:44:47 GMT, Scribner <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    >>>language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    >>>my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    >>>this problem?

    >>Sorry. I have been sick for a month and I haven't slept in days. I
    >>meant that I was suddenly UNABLE to connect.

    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    Yep. This is the page that won't load.
    Scribner, Oct 21, 2006
  15. Scribner

    Alan Guest

    Scribner wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:53:42 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> Scribner <> wrote:

    >>> Sorry. I have been sick for a month and I haven't slept in days. I
    >>> meant that I was suddenly UNABLE to connect.

    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    > Yep. This is the page that won't load.

    Welcome to Wikipedia,
    the free encyclopedia that anyone can edit.
    1,444,320 articles in English

    works for me. But was having trouble with other sites earlier...
    Alan, Oct 21, 2006
  16. Scribner

    Guest

    Scribner <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 14:53:42 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> Scribner <> wrote:

    >>>Sorry. I have been sick for a month and I haven't slept in days. I
    >>>meant that I was suddenly UNABLE to connect.

    >>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    >Yep. This is the page that won't load.

    Try
    Start | Run <type in> cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns <enter>

    This will flush and reset your DNS resolver.

    --
    Line Rider
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/40255643/
    , Oct 21, 2006
  17. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:00:57 -0700, wrote:

    > Scribner <> wrote:

    >>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

    >>Yep. This is the page that won't load.

    >Try
    >Start | Run <type in> cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns <enter>
    >
    >This will flush and reset your DNS resolver.

    Maybe it did, but I still can't find the server. Thanks, anyway.
    Scribner, Oct 21, 2006
  18. Scribner

    Guest

    Scribner <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:00:57 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> Scribner <> wrote:

    >>>Yep. This is the page that won't load.

    >>Try
    >>Start | Run <type in> cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns <enter>
    >>
    >>This will flush and reset your DNS resolver.

    >Maybe it did, but I still can't find the server. Thanks, anyway.

    Thought that would do it...

    Download and run TCPview
    http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html

    watch what happens when you try to go to that site, If it's being
    block'd on your end it will show connecting to localhost.

    --
    Wait for it...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-10DgWsSZNc
  19. Scribner

    Scribner Guest

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:20:34 -0700, wrote:

    > Scribner <> wrote:

    >>>Try
    >>>Start | Run <type in> cmd /k ipconfig /flushdns <enter>
    >>>
    >>>This will flush and reset your DNS resolver.

    >>Maybe it did, but I still can't find the server. Thanks, anyway.

    >Thought that would do it...
    >
    >Download and run TCPview
    >http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/TcpView.html
    >
    >watch what happens when you try to go to that site, If it's being
    >block'd on your end it will show connecting to localhost.

    I get SYN_SENT in green, then TIME WAIT in red (along with SYN_SENT in
    red) and then they both go away.
    Scribner, Oct 23, 2006
  20. Scribner

    wrote:

    >A couple of months ago, I was suddenly able to connect to the English
    >language version of Wikipedia. I have shut down both my firewall and
    >my anti-virus but it doesn't make a difference. Does anyone else have
    >this problem?

    Ok, this is getting really annoying. I can log on to every Wikipedia
    language page, including simple English, except the main English page.
    Scribner, Oct 24, 2006