Wikipedia down?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Mar 24, 2010.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Mar 24, 2010

  2. Peter

    Peter Guest

    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9173922/Wikipedia_founder_praises_Google_over_China_decision
    > "A co-founder of popular online encyclopedia Wikipedia praised Google for
    > its decision to stop censoring Internet searches in China and called on
    > other major U.S. companies, including Microsoft and Facebook, to follow."

    hmmm, maybe not so sinister ...
    http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/03/global-outage-cooling-failure-and-dns/
    "Due to an overheating problem in our European data center many of our
    servers turned off to protect themselves. As this impacted all Wikipedia and
    other projects access from European users, we were forced to move all user
    traffic to our Florida cluster, for which we have a standard quick failover
    procedure in place, that changes our DNS entries.

    However, shortly after we did this failover switch, it turned out that this
    failover mechanism was now broken, causing the DNS resolution of Wikimedia
    sites to stop working globally. This problem was quickly resolved, but
    unfortunately it may take up to an hour before access is restored for
    everyone, due to caching effects.

    We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

    Peter, Mar 24, 2010

  3. Peter

    Your Name Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    > We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

    No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied nonsense,
    lies and rumours. :-\

    Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple of
    nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's been doing
    .... and apparently she had been living with someone from a music group for
    six months (but didn't even know who they were), along with lots of other
    rubbish.

    Your Name, Mar 24, 2010
  4. Peter

    victor Guest

    On 25/03/10 10:06, Your Name wrote:
    > "Peter"<> wrote in message
    >>
    >> We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

    > No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied nonsense,
    > lies and rumours. :-\
    >
    > Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple of
    > nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's been doing
    > ... and apparently she had been living with someone from a music group for
    > six months (but didn't even know who they were), along with lots of other
    > rubbish.

    Who is she ?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Saunders

    Seems quite well detailed with no mention of any such relationship.

    Have you ever entertained the discomforting notion that comedians might
    embroider the facts a little for comic effect when wittering on for the
    entertainment of you slumpgut slackjawed country yokels ?

    victor, Mar 24, 2010
  5. Peter

    Your Name Guest

    In article <hoe520$cnn$-september.org>, victor
    <> wrote:

    > On 25/03/10 10:06, Your Name wrote:
    > > "Peter"<> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

    > > No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied nonsense,
    > > lies and rumours. :-\
    > >
    > > Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple of
    > > nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's been doing
    > > ... and apparently she had been living with someone from a music group for
    > > six months (but didn't even know who they were), along with lots of other
    > > rubbish.
    > >

    > Who is she ?
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Saunders
    >
    > Seems quite well detailed with no mention of any such relationship.
    >
    > Have you ever entertained the discomforting notion that comedians might
    > embroider the facts a little for comic effect when wittering on for the
    > entertainment of you slumpgut slackjawed country yokels ?

    Another moron to add to the killfile. :-\

    Your Name, Mar 25, 2010
  6. Peter

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <hodr8j$odg$>, says...

    > "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused."

    > No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied nonsense,
    > lies and rumours. :-\
    >
    > Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple of
    > nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's been doing
    > ... and apparently she had been living with someone from a music group for
    > six months (but didn't even know who they were), along with lots of other
    > rubbish.

    Jeez what a stupid comment - added to bozo bin, bye.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Mar 25, 2010
  7. Peter

    victor Guest

    On 25/03/10 13:45, geoff wrote:
    > victor wrote:
    >> On 25/03/10 10:06, Your Name wrote:
    >>> "Peter"<> wrote in message

    >>> No inconvience ... it's a worthless website full of user-supplied
    >>> nonsense, lies and rumours. :-\
    >>>
    >>> Jennifer Saunders said on a repeat of a Parkinson Interview a couple
    >>> of nights ago that she logs on to Wikipedia to find out what she's
    >>> been doing ... and apparently she had been living with someone from
    >>> a music group for six months (but didn't even know who they were),
    >>> along with lots of other rubbish.
    >>>

    >> Who is she ?
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Saunders
    >>
    >> Seems quite well detailed with no mention of any such relationship.

    > Maybe it's been edited off because it's wrong ?
    >
    > geoff

    Perhaps she needs to edit the interweb
    http://goo.gl/BGKN

    victor, Mar 25, 2010