wikimedia commons meets google maps

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sobriquet, Oct 9, 2008.

  1. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On 13 okt, 20:46, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > sobriquet wrote:
    > >http://maps.google.com/maps?t=k&q=http://toolserver.org/~para%2...

    > Hmm, so when I go there, those same mushrooms will be waiting for me ...???
    >
    > --
    > -- r.p.e.35mm user resource:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpe35mmur.htm
    > --        r.p.d.slr-systems:http://www.aliasimages.com/rpdslrsysur.htm
    > --      [SI] gallery & rulz:http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    > --                   e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
    > -- usenet posts from gmail.com and googlemail.com are filtered out.

    When you go there you might encounter the same mushrooms. You can see
    what kind of habitat particular mushrooms seem to prefer.
    sobriquet, Oct 13, 2008

  3. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On 14 okt, 18:25, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > sobriquet wrote:
    > > On 13 okt, 20:46, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> Hmm, so when I go there, those same mushrooms will be waiting for me ...???

    > > When you go there you might encounter the same mushrooms. You can see
    > > what kind of habitat particular mushrooms seem to prefer.

    > You entirely miss the point.

    Has it occurred to you that it might be you who is missing the point?
    sobriquet, Oct 14, 2008
  4. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On 14 okt, 19:23, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > sobriquet wrote:
    > > On 14 okt, 18:25, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> You entirely miss the point.

    > > Has it occurred to you that it might be you who is missing the point?

    > Yes.  But on reflection I am not.

    But then again, you may be wrong.
    sobriquet, Oct 14, 2008
  5. "CliffB." <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > remote
    > chance encounter to help a rabid animal or the occasional bear that might
    > try to
    > break in. Used more as a noisemaker than anything else. Used for a nice
    > venison
    > or turkey dinner on occasion. Remind me to tell you about the joys of
    > pressure-cookers for venison roasts! The rich browned-meat, wild-mushroom,
    > and
    > veggie flavors forced into the very heart of every potato in the pot.
    > Sorry, my
    > mind wandered to something far more interesting than this internet
    > wasteland...
    >
    > People like the above wish and hope someone else will save them all their
    > lives.
    > I bet they stopped sweating bullets when they finally found the cozy
    > comfort of
    > a personal static-IP address years ago, so drastic is their fear of life,
    > realty, and change.
    >
    > How much do you want to bet that their nightmares are comprised of huge
    > flickering LCD displays showing

    > "404 ERROR!" | "FILE NOT FOUND!"

    > Floating around them and chasing them, haunting them, maniacally laughing
    > at
    > them, devouring every last vestige of security that they had ever hoped to
    > find
    > in life.
    >

    > <Post Justification>
    >
    > It's cold-raining out and I already got my fill of 'rainbowed, water-drop
    > drenched, fall-foliage photos' earlier today. (difficult to say 3 times)
    > Enjoying some "Mexican Coffee" (strong hot coffee, imported dark-rum,
    > home-made
    > kahlua (made with 181-proof grain-alcohol, light brown-sugar,
    > vanilla-beans, and
    > demitasse-strength coffee, it's much better than the brand-name kahlua))
    > to take
    > the chill off while letting my clothes and boots dry by the fire. Wasting
    > some
    > time on the net, watching for idiots to comment on. But
    > there's SO MANY! I have to pick and choose from the worst or this could
    > become a
    > lifelong paradigm. How very sad that would be--for one who thrives on
    > change.
    >
    > Nice ... two newly invented and needed words to add to my spell-checker.
    > "Change-needs" semi-justified. Personal dictionary: 1,438 required new
    > words
    > added to the english language. English is so limited in scope and
    > creativity.
    >
    > </Post Justification>
    >
    > No, this post wasn't for you, it was for my enjoyment. Your needs matter
    > not to
    > someone like me. :)
    >
    > Judging by all the other posts in this newsgroup, this one is far from
    > being
    > off-topic. At least I mention photography.

    Errrr <cough> can't say I picked up a lot about photography from your post,
    but bizzairely (ach! spelling mate!) did actually quite enjoy reading it -
    in a strange, free-wheeling semi-detatched suburban split block and tile
    roof sort of way I mean.

    You show a definite creative bent - bent, bent, hmmm. Think about it - it
    was fun the first time through, as the hiker in the railway tunnel said when
    the train caught up with him.

    Sorry about all that - the spirit of the PP (prev poster) musta gotten into
    me.

    --
    Peter in New Zealand. (Email address is fake)
    Collector of old cameras, tropical fish fancier, good coffee nutter, and
    Peter in New Zealand, Oct 15, 2008
  6. sobriquet

    Mark Thomas Guest

    OT Re: wikimedia commons meets google maps

    CliffB. wrote:
    > It would make my 130wpm..

    Sigh. And I'm sure you can speak 30 languages fluently too.

    > ..my mind had to find yet another new word (3 for today, but by no means any record):

    Oh, do tell, what *is* your record - I'm breathless in anticipation. Is
    it in Guinness?

    > "Ludicrousity: n, The quality or state of being ludicrous." (or to be more
    > phonetically/etymologically correct, shouldn't that be spelt "ludicrocity"?)

    To be a pseudo-intellectual, you need two things - I see you have the
    ability to pretend, but..

    Did you not know there is already a noun for ludicrous? It is virtually
    unused as no-one ('cept you, aren't you *speshul*!!?) seems to have a
    need or want for it. Secondly, did you also not know that when adding
    the "-osity" ending you drop the U..? I won't bother asking where the C
    came from in the second attempt.. so, NO would be the answer to your
    second question.

    I'm sure you *did* know all that, and were just testing us..

    > Not unlike the state or quality of present-day cameras, the

    mind-numbingly
    > boring photography produced with them, and all their users and makers.

    Sounds vaguely familiar. Who were you, before CliffB? I mean, you
    clearly are an experienced poster....

    And have you ever posted an image here (anywhere)? Or are we not worthy
    to have something to aspire to?

    (O:

    > Hot coffee (decaff, thanks), strong dark rum, and home-made kahlua made of
    > grain-alcohol helps me to cope with the stupidity and mundanity of humanity.

    Perhaps you should just up your intake significantly.

    > It's the only way that I can lower myself...

    Then why post here? Are we the only ones who talk to you?
    Here's another 3 words for you:
    Wanker
    Pretender
    Phony

    (Prove me wrong below, and I will apologise.)

    > (Uninteresting tidbits snipped.)

    > I'm outta here!

    And stay there.

    Or alternatively, tell us, oh wisest-in-your-own-mind - what are your
    favorite photographic topics, and are there any photographers whose
    style you like?

    Also, what do you shoot with? (Image wise)
    Mark Thomas, Oct 15, 2008
  7. sobriquet

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Re: OT Re: wikimedia commons meets google maps

    (If you wish to go straight to the ontopic bit, skip down to the
    asterisks. 'Cliff' will of course remove/ignore those bits in his reply..)

    'CliffB.' wrote:
    > Not angry at all.

    Sure. OK.

    > Why do you read emotions in the words on your monitor?
    > Desperate for some emotional interaction

    Umm, read that back to yourself. Then answer this question.. "Why do
    you read emotions in the words on your monitor?"

    You're funny! You don't see your own anger, and you don't spot your
    hypocrisy either. And then you go on 'reading'..

    > Do you see how much that you
    > reveal about your personal life every time that you reply? Do you really want to
    > reveal more of your immature insecurities and emotional problems to the world?

    "Why do you read emotions in the words on your monitor?"
    (O:

    > You will find something rather curious when you reach 130wpm. Your arms'
    > muscle-memory will spell words correctly but often the wrong (correctly spelled)
    > words in the wrong position.

    In other words - you can type faster than you can think (hint - you
    possibly don't need 130 for that), and you don't check your work before
    posting.

    > Of course you won't ever know this from your
    > own experiences in life.

    Do you attend courses in ad hominemity? (A new word for you.)

    > You will see that I corrected that simple syntax-typo in a follow-up. Moron.

    See above.

    See above.

    > and try to find a new way to get attention. Try holding
    > your breath, see if that helps.

    See above.

    > If you do it right then I might grace you with a
    > reply tomorrow.

    Sorry, you lost the superiority thing with the lack of ontopic content.

    > And do try to find something other than inanimate objects with which to become
    > emotionally involved.

    "Why do you read emotions in the words on your monitor?"

    > If not, then I suggest you Google for a decent discount on
    > "blowup dolls" or "cyber sex". But I'm sure you've already done that, all too
    > often. Yes, you're that obvious.

    See above.

    *********************
    Ontopic Bits:
    So, CliffB., what other names did you post with previously?
    Which photographers if any do you admire?
    What do you shoot with?
    When do we see the results from your adventure in the woods?
    Why do you keep your tripod under your parka?
    Mark Thomas, Oct 15, 2008
  8. CliffB. <> wrote:

    > Has it occurred to you that you are meaninglessly arguing with someone who only
    > has the internet as their connection to the world and reality? People like that
    > expect a particular photo, web-page, or link to be there when they get there.
    > They want that man-made plaque, shop, sign, road, or wall to be there if someone
    > photographed it there. They get the heebie-jeebies if they find out that the
    > data in their car's GPS unit doesn't coincide with new construction projects,

    It's also silly to argue with controversial posters who don't even
    understand the formatting conventions of newsgroup postings.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Oct 15, 2008
  9. sobriquet

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Re: OT Re: wikimedia commons meets google maps

    CliffB. wrote:
    ...more hypocritical crap and snipped the q's as predicted.

    So here they are again:

    What other names did you post with previously?
    Which photographers if any do you admire?
    What do you shoot with?
    When do we see the results from your adventure in the woods?
    Why do you keep your tripod under your parka?

    Thanks for playing, 'Cliff'. Come back when you have answers.
    Mark Thomas, Oct 15, 2008
  10. sobriquet

    Guest

    On Oct 14, 5:32 pm, CliffB. <> wrote:
> [...]

    > the chill off while letting my clothes and boots dry by the fire. Wasting some
    > time on the net, watching for idiots to comment on. But ........................
    > there's SO MANY! I have to pick and choose from the worst or this could become a
    > lifelong paradigm. How very sad that would be--for one who thrives on change.
    >
    > Nice ... two newly invented and needed words to add to my spell-checker.
    > "Change-needs" semi-justified. Personal dictionary: 1,438 required new words
    > added to the english language. English is so limited in scope and creativity.
    >
    > </Post Justification>
    >
    > No, this post wasn't for you, it was for my enjoyment. Your needs matter not to
    > someone like me. :)
    >
    > Judging by all the other posts in this newsgroup, this one is far from being
    > off-topic. At least I mention photography.

    This was just the most entertaining thing I have read in a while.
    Kudos!!
    , Nov 5, 2008