    had no luck.

    Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

    Thanks, Scott

    Scott G., Feb 25, 2004

  2. Scott G.

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:39:42 -0500, "Scott G." <>,wrote:

    >My Dell laptop has built in wireless (B and G) capability and it works great
    >in my house. I have been to two separate locations in the last few days that
    >offered "free" and "open" wireless access. According to my WiFi gauge (Dell
    >TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PC Card Utility) I had "excellent" signal and
    >confirmed that the networks were "open" yet I could not open ANY web pages
    >nor download and email. I shut down completely and re-booted twice and still
    >had no luck.
    >
    >Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
    >
    >Thanks, Scott

    Did those networks offer (broadcast) their SSID?

    Meat-->Plow, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Scott G.

    Scott G. Guest

    > Did those networks offer (broadcast) their SSID?

    Honestly I don't recall :-(

    The one location (Allentown Airport, ABE) does offer and advertise fee
    wireless access and someone next to me was able to access without problem.
    Of course, he had a MAC ;-')

    Scott G., Feb 25, 2004
  4. Scott G.

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Scott G." <> wrote in

    > My Dell laptop has built in wireless (B and G) capability and it works
    > great in my house. I have been to two separate locations in the last
    > few days that offered "free" and "open" wireless access. According to
    > my WiFi gauge (Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PC Card Utility) I had
    > "excellent" signal and confirmed that the networks were "open" yet I
    > could not open ANY web pages nor download and email. I shut down
    > completely and re-booted twice and still had no luck.
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks, Scott

    Did the computer's wireless NIC get a valid IP from the network's DHCP IP
    server. If it didn't get a valid IP from the network, then you can have
    100% signal strength and it will mean nothing, because the machine did
    not get a valid connection or IP on the network that's going to allow you
    to access the Internet with the computer.

    Type in IPCONFIG /all at the Command Prompt and look at the IP the next
    time. And if the IP starts with 169., it's a default IP being assigned
    indicating that the computer didn't get a valid IP from a DHCP server on
    the network.

    It's due to some mis-configuration that's stopping the machine's NIC from
    getting a valid IP.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 25, 2004
  5. Scott G.

    Harrison Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 20:39:42 -0500, "Scott G." <> wrote:

    >My Dell laptop has built in wireless (B and G) capability and it works great
    >in my house. I have been to two separate locations in the last few days that
    >offered "free" and "open" wireless access. According to my WiFi gauge (Dell
    >TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PC Card Utility) I had "excellent" signal and
    >confirmed that the networks were "open" yet I could not open ANY web pages
    >nor download and email. I shut down completely and re-booted twice and still
    >had no luck.
    >
    >Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
    >
    >Thanks, Scott

    Try NetStumbler or Boingo
    http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownload&cid=1&orderby=hitsD

    http://www.boingo.com/download.html

    They work great on war drives, so they should take care of your needs as well.
    Basically, they look for any prevalent wireless network and allow you to connect to them.

    Harrison, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Scott G.

    Shabby Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Scott G." <> wrote in
    >

    > > My Dell laptop has built in wireless (B and G) capability and it works
    > > great in my house. I have been to two separate locations in the last
    > > few days that offered "free" and "open" wireless access. According to
    > > my WiFi gauge (Dell TrueMobile 1300 WLAN Mini PC Card Utility) I had
    > > "excellent" signal and confirmed that the networks were "open" yet I
    > > could not open ANY web pages nor download and email. I shut down
    > > completely and re-booted twice and still had no luck.
    > >
    > > Any ideas or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!
    > >
    > > Thanks, Scott
    > >

    > Did the computer's wireless NIC get a valid IP from the network's DHCP IP
    > server. If it didn't get a valid IP from the network, then you can have
    > 100% signal strength and it will mean nothing, because the machine did
    > not get a valid connection or IP on the network that's going to allow you
    > to access the Internet with the computer.
    >
    > Type in IPCONFIG /all at the Command Prompt and look at the IP the next
    > time. And if the IP starts with 169., it's a default IP being assigned
    > indicating that the computer didn't get a valid IP from a DHCP server on
    > the network.
    >
    > It's due to some mis-configuration that's stopping the machine's NIC from
    > getting a valid IP.
    >
    > Duane :)

    probably the AP you are trying to connect to does not use DHCP - I have a
    home setup and use all static IP assignment and MAC address filtering. So un
    less you can spoof one of two machines allowed to connect then the AP won't
    allow you to do anything

    Shabby, Feb 25, 2004
  7. Scott G.

    Scott G. Guest

    > Did the computer's wireless NIC get a valid IP from the network's DHCP IP
    > server. If it didn't get a valid IP from the network, then you can have
    > 100% signal strength and it will mean nothing, because the machine did
    > not get a valid connection or IP on the network that's going to allow you
    > to access the Internet with the computer.
    >
    > Type in IPCONFIG /all at the Command Prompt and look at the IP the next
    > time. And if the IP starts with 169., it's a default IP being assigned
    > indicating that the computer didn't get a valid IP from a DHCP server on
    > the network.
    >
    > It's due to some mis-configuration that's stopping the machine's NIC from
    > getting a valid IP.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Thanks for the response Duane! I honestly don't know if the wireless NIC got
    a valid IP from the network or not. I will check when I am there again next
    week. If it is a mis-configuration, is it on my end or theirs? As info, if
    it matters, on my home network we do have WEP encryption and need a password
    to access the system. I have gotten on at Starbuck's (hot spot) previously
    but its been awhile since I have tried.

    Thanks again, Scott

    Scott G., Feb 26, 2004
  8. Scott G.

    Scott G. Guest

    > probably the AP you are trying to connect to does not use DHCP - I have a
    > home setup and use all static IP assignment and MAC address filtering. So

    un
    > less you can spoof one of two machines allowed to connect then the AP

    won't
    > allow you to do anything

    So, perhaps in the one case (Allentown Airport, www.lvia.org) I should share
    this with them since they just recently unveiled the free wireless
    capability and may not be aware of this problem, right?

    Thanks!

    Scott G., Feb 26, 2004
  9. Scott G.

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Scott G." <> wrote in

    >> Did the computer's wireless NIC get a valid IP from the network's
    >> DHCP IP server. If it didn't get a valid IP from the network, then
    >> you can have 100% signal strength and it will mean nothing, because
    >> the machine did not get a valid connection or IP on the network
    >> that's going to allow you to access the Internet with the computer.
    >>
    >> Type in IPCONFIG /all at the Command Prompt and look at the IP the
    >> next time. And if the IP starts with 169., it's a default IP being
    >> assigned indicating that the computer didn't get a valid IP from a
    >> DHCP server on the network.
    >>
    >> It's due to some mis-configuration that's stopping the machine's NIC
    >> from getting a valid IP.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Thanks for the response Duane! I honestly don't know if the wireless
    > NIC got a valid IP from the network or not. I will check when I am
    > there again next week. If it is a mis-configuration, is it on my end
    > or theirs? As info, if it matters, on my home network we do have WEP
    > encryption and need a password to access the system. I have gotten on
    > at Starbuck's (hot spot) previously but its been awhile since I have
    > tried.
    >
    > Thanks again, Scott

    You'll have to check with an Admin of the hot spot as to the
    configuration needed for your machine to join the network.

    If you're using XP, then you can setup multiple NIC configurations to
    join different networks.

    http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netadmin/0,39006400,39148297,00.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Feb 26, 2004
  10. Scott G.

    Scott G. Guest

    "> You'll have to check with an Admin of the hot spot as to the
    > configuration needed for your machine to join the network.
    >
    > If you're using XP, then you can setup multiple NIC configurations to
    > join different networks.
    >
    > http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netadmin/0,39006400,39148297,00.htm

    Thanks again Duane! I do use XP so I will review the article. As for
    checking with the Admin of the hot spot
    (http://www.lvia.org/wireless/index.html), I will though I suspect that they
    are as lost as I am. This is new for them and I think that they will end up
    having to go back to their provider.

    Thanks again, Scott

    Scott G., Feb 26, 2004
  11. Scott G.

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 21:57:18 -0500, "Scott G." <>
    wrote:

    >"> You'll have to check with an Admin of the hot spot as to the
    >> configuration needed for your machine to join the network.
    >>
    >> If you're using XP, then you can setup multiple NIC configurations to
    >> join different networks.
    >>
    >> http://asia.cnet.com/itmanager/netadmin/0,39006400,39148297,00.htm

    >Thanks again Duane! I do use XP so I will review the article. As for
    >checking with the Admin of the hot spot
    >(http://www.lvia.org/wireless/index.html), I will though I suspect that they
    >are as lost as I am. This is new for them and I think that they will end up
    >having to go back to their provider.

    If the dude with the Mac next to you got on no problem, the odds are
    that they ARE running a DHCP server and it IS assigning valid IP
    addresses. Otherwise he'd be SOL too. As a previous poster
    suggested, I would try the old release/renew trick and see if you get
    a valid address. If you do, bob's your uncle. If not, there's
    something else at work, but I'd hazard a guess it's not DHCP.

    FWIW, these public wireless hotspots are SUPPOSED to be set up so
    anybody can access them; that's the whole point. If you need some
    kind of special configuration, then somebody hasn't done their job
    right. :)

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 26, 2004
  12. Scott G.

    Scott G. Guest

    >I would try the old release/renew trick and see if you get
    > a valid address.

    Dumb question, sorry. How exactly would I do the release/renew procedure on
    my XP machine?

    Scott G., Feb 27, 2004
  13. Scott G.

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:56:41 -0500, "Scott G." <>
    wrote:

    >>I would try the old release/renew trick and see if you get
    >> a valid address.

    >Dumb question, sorry. How exactly would I do the release/renew procedure on
    >my XP machine?

    At the command prompt:

    ipconfig /release <enter>
    ipconfig /renew <enter>

    The only dumb question is the one left unasked.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 27, 2004
  14. Scott G.

    Scott G. Guest

    > The only dumb question is the one left unasked.

    Thanks Dan and to EVERYONE who responded with advice! I believe that I found
    the problem today as I was in a buddy's office who has WiFi access but could
    not connect. I use Zone Alarm, a firewall product. At my friend's suggestion
    I revised my settings so Zone Alarm would not automatically start upon boot
    and sure enough I connected to his network with no issue! So, from now on
    when I hit the road I will make sure that I disable Zone Alarm after
    shutting down and getting on the road.

    Thanks again EVERYONE!

    ....Scott

    Scott G., Feb 27, 2004
  15. Scott G.

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:01:22 -0500, "Scott G." <>
    wrote:

    >Thanks Dan and to EVERYONE who responded with advice! I believe that I found
    >the problem today as I was in a buddy's office who has WiFi access but could
    >not connect. I use Zone Alarm, a firewall product. At my friend's suggestion
    >I revised my settings so Zone Alarm would not automatically start upon boot
    >and sure enough I connected to his network with no issue!

    Interesting. Thanks for posting back!

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 27, 2004