    This happens at every MickyD's I've been to, which is about 5 in my local
    area... What ARE they doing different???

    LVDave
    =?Utf-8?B?TFZEYXZl?=, May 16, 2006

  2. "LVDave" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a laptop with XPSP2 which has an internal miniPci 802.11a/b/g wifi
    > card installed. The card works perfectly at every wireless hotspot I use
    > it
    > at, EXCEPT for the ones at McDonalds.. To get online there, I have to
    > break
    > out an old Orinoco PCMCIA 802.11b card, at which time life is good
    > again...
    > This happens at every MickyD's I've been to, which is about 5 in my local
    > area... What ARE they doing different???
    >
    > LVDave

    Check your original wi-fi tcp/ip settings. If you have them manually
    assigned, that would be why it doesn't work there. You don't actually say
    whether you connect but get nothing or don't even find a signal or something
    in between but I am replying assuming you mean you get a signal but cannot
    get any data.
    Diamontina Cocktail, May 16, 2006

  3. Thanks for replying!

    When I say I cannot connect at MickyD's, I mean I don't even see a signal
    in the XP wifi connection window. In fact, the first time this happened, I
    just
    assumed that the AP was down at that restaurant.. The next time I went
    to a MickyD's, I checked the presence of a signal with my Pocket PC, sure
    enough a good signal, so I fired up the laptop, where I then found nada. I
    dug out the old PCMCIA card, and it saw the signal fine. As for "manual
    settings", every AP I ever connect to are automatically set via DHCP, so that
    shouldn't be any
    problem. In fact, at one McD's I occassionally visit, there are several
    linksys/default 802.11b and g signals in range of the restaurant and the
    machine sees and connects to those fine, but NOT the McD's signal... Since
    the nic that
    is having this problem is an a/b/g dual-band card, I wonder if that could be
    contributing to the problem??

    LVDave

    =?Utf-8?B?TFZEYXZl?=, May 17, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TFZEYXZl?=

    Lem Guest

    LVDave wrote:
    > Thanks for replying!
    >
    > When I say I cannot connect at MickyD's, I mean I don't even see a signal
    > in the XP wifi connection window. In fact, the first time this happened, I
    > just
    > assumed that the AP was down at that restaurant.. The next time I went
    > to a MickyD's, I checked the presence of a signal with my Pocket PC, sure
    > enough a good signal, so I fired up the laptop, where I then found nada. I
    > dug out the old PCMCIA card, and it saw the signal fine. As for "manual
    > settings", every AP I ever connect to are automatically set via DHCP, so that
    > shouldn't be any
    > problem. In fact, at one McD's I occassionally visit, there are several
    > linksys/default 802.11b and g signals in range of the restaurant and the
    > machine sees and connects to those fine, but NOT the McD's signal... Since
    > the nic that
    > is having this problem is an a/b/g dual-band card, I wonder if that could be
    > contributing to the problem??
    >
    > LVDave
    >
    > "Diamontina Cocktail" wrote:
    >

    >>"LVDave" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have a laptop with XPSP2 which has an internal miniPci 802.11a/b/g wifi
    >>>card installed. The card works perfectly at every wireless hotspot I use
    >>>it
    >>>at, EXCEPT for the ones at McDonalds.. To get online there, I have to
    >>>break
    >>>out an old Orinoco PCMCIA 802.11b card, at which time life is good
    >>>again...
    >>>This happens at every MickyD's I've been to, which is about 5 in my local
    >>>area... What ARE they doing different???
    >>>
    >>>LVDave
    >>>

    >>Check your original wi-fi tcp/ip settings. If you have them manually
    >>assigned, that would be why it doesn't work there. You don't actually say
    >>whether you connect but get nothing or don't even find a signal or something
    >>in between but I am replying assuming you mean you get a signal but cannot
    >>get any data.

    could it be that all those other hotspots where you connect are g-spots
    (so to speak) and your a/b/g card is set to g only or a & g only? I
    know that Intel a/b/g cards can be set to see a/b/g; g; a/g; or b/g.
    Lem, May 17, 2006
  5. "LVDave" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for replying!
    >
    > When I say I cannot connect at MickyD's, I mean I don't even see a signal
    > in the XP wifi connection window. In fact, the first time this happened, I
    > just
    > assumed that the AP was down at that restaurant.. The next time I went
    > to a MickyD's, I checked the presence of a signal with my Pocket PC, sure
    > enough a good signal, so I fired up the laptop, where I then found nada. I
    > dug out the old PCMCIA card, and it saw the signal fine. As for "manual
    > settings", every AP I ever connect to are automatically set via DHCP, so
    > that
    > shouldn't be any
    > problem. In fact, at one McD's I occassionally visit, there are several
    > linksys/default 802.11b and g signals in range of the restaurant and the
    > machine sees and connects to those fine, but NOT the McD's signal... Since
    > the nic that
    > is having this problem is an a/b/g dual-band card, I wonder if that could
    > be
    > contributing to the problem??

    Shouldn't be a problem. I use a USB wi-fi NIC that does the same and no
    probs here. So the next thing is this - I know you say it is all auto but it
    is possible that someone or something changed things. Check that your IP and
    DNS server settings are still automatic and that your NIC setting isn't set
    to a certain frequency. See, a neighbour's network is a only and when I set
    mine to higher than that, I can see him but he cant see me. Also try
    downloading Netstumbler and using it with the troublesome NIC. If it doesn't
    pick it up then for whatever reason, you don't have it. You might also try a
    complete reset of your networking in case there is something I cant think of
    inserted somewhere.
    Diamontina Cocktail, May 17, 2006
  6. Yikes!!! Brain Phart!!! I never thought about that switch in the driver..
    It's gotta be something like that.. I'll check it when I get home...

    Thanks diamontina and lem!!

    LVDave

    =?Utf-8?B?TFZEYXZl?=, May 17, 2006