WiFi Warsitting

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Aug 30, 2009.

  1. Warsitting? Wardriving from an armchair in my living room.

    Almost exactly a year ago I moved to a new laptop running Vista
    Business, so leaving NetStumbler behind. I recall a maximum of a dozen
    or so receivable access points.
    I've just stumbled across InSSider, which does run on Vista, and am
    astonished to see some 44 access points now listed, 9, btw, were
    sitting on CH11, including myself.

    Interesting?
     
    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce, Aug 30, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Richard Guest

    Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    > Warsitting? Wardriving from an armchair in my living room.
    >
    > Almost exactly a year ago I moved to a new laptop running Vista
    > Business, so leaving NetStumbler behind. I recall a maximum of a dozen
    > or so receivable access points.
    > I've just stumbled across InSSider, which does run on Vista, and am
    > astonished to see some 44 access points now listed, 9, btw, were
    > sitting on CH11, including myself.
    >
    > Interesting?


    Hows this for funny - new flatmate moves in with his router etc. And now
    google maps on my phone positions myself at his old address - clearly
    they never wardrove and saw my accesspoints so the only one they know
    the position of is his one. And now hes moved its wrong.
     
    Richard, Aug 31, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    > Warsitting? Wardriving from an armchair in my living room.
    >
    > Almost exactly a year ago I moved to a new laptop running Vista
    > Business, so leaving NetStumbler behind. I recall a maximum of a dozen
    > or so receivable access points.
    > I've just stumbled across InSSider, which does run on Vista, and am
    > astonished to see some 44 access points now listed, 9, btw, were
    > sitting on CH11, including myself.
    >
    > Interesting?


    LOL, I've always said I live on 'the reservation'. I just downloaded
    InSSider and the only AP it finds is mine, SSID unknown (it's turned off on
    the AP).

    It says security 'none' but I'm assuming that this is because this laptop
    has the passphrase for the AP saved as a profile?
    --
    Shaun.

    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
    warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
     
    ~misfit~, Sep 1, 2009
    #3
  4. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > LOL, I've always said I live on 'the reservation'. I just downloaded
    > InSSider and the only AP it finds is mine, SSID unknown (it's turned off on
    > the AP).
    >
    > It says security 'none' but I'm assuming that this is because this laptop
    > has the passphrase for the AP saved as a profile?


    It shouldn't do - InSSIDer shows all 15 or so wifi networks here
    (including my own) with their actual level of security. There are
    however some slightly weird wifi card drivers that seem to report secure
    networks as unsecured (I have an IBM T42 at work that shows our WPA2
    network security as "none").
     
    EMB, Sep 1, 2009
    #4
  5. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    Sailor Sam Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce wrote:
    >> Warsitting? Wardriving from an armchair in my living room.
    >>
    >> Almost exactly a year ago I moved to a new laptop running Vista
    >> Business, so leaving NetStumbler behind. I recall a maximum of a dozen
    >> or so receivable access points.
    >> I've just stumbled across InSSider, which does run on Vista, and am
    >> astonished to see some 44 access points now listed, 9, btw, were
    >> sitting on CH11, including myself.
    >>
    >> Interesting?

    >
    > LOL, I've always said I live on 'the reservation'. I just downloaded
    > InSSider and the only AP it finds is mine, SSID unknown (it's turned off on
    > the AP).
    >
    > It says security 'none' but I'm assuming that this is because this laptop
    > has the passphrase for the AP saved as a profile?


    For the benefit of those that read my posts, and those that read my
    posts but claim to ignore them ;).

    All beacons display the encryption for the wifi network. You can 'see'
    the encryption a wireless network is using, using a packet sniffing
    utility.

    For example, take a wild guess what encryption this network is using:
    (From Wireshark)
    Vendor Specific: WPA
    [...]
    Tag interpretation: WPA IE, type 1, version 1
    Tag interpretation: Multicast cipher suite: TKIP
    Tag interpretation: # of unicast cipher suites: 1
    [...]
     
    Sailor Sam, Sep 2, 2009
    #5
  6. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> LOL, I've always said I live on 'the reservation'. I just downloaded
    >> InSSider and the only AP it finds is mine, SSID unknown (it's turned
    >> off on the AP).
    >>
    >> It says security 'none' but I'm assuming that this is because this
    >> laptop has the passphrase for the AP saved as a profile?

    >
    > It shouldn't do - InSSIDer shows all 15 or so wifi networks here
    > (including my own) with their actual level of security.


    Hmmm....

    > There are
    > however some slightly weird wifi card drivers that seem to report
    > secure networks as unsecured (I have an IBM T42 at work that shows
    > our WPA2 network security as "none").


    Ok, maybe this is it. I'm looking from an IBM T60 that has weird drivers in
    other ways. AP is a 3Com 3CRWE454G72.

    (Resolution is 1400x1050 but everytime the lid is closed with the machine
    running it drops back to 1280x1024. It goes back to 1400x1050 again when the
    lid is opened but you can tell that the res has been lower as the icons are
    all in the 1280x1024 area of the screen. It's a known problem with this
    model.)

    I have a couple R40s, one without a mini-PCI card (I'm watching/bidding on a
    couple auctions, one finishes in 4 hours) and the other only does a/b wifi.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
    warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
     
    ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2009
    #6
  7. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    EMB Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Ok, maybe this is it. I'm looking from an IBM T60 that has weird drivers in
    > other ways. AP is a 3Com 3CRWE454G72.


    My IBM R60 behaves well in a wireless sense, but it took a wee bit of
    chasing drivers to stop it just "losing" the wireless card
    intermittently. I've never had encryption misreporting problems with
    any 3CRWE454G72 I have owned.
    >
    > (Resolution is 1400x1050 but everytime the lid is closed with the machine
    > running it drops back to 1280x1024. It goes back to 1400x1050 again when the
    > lid is opened but you can tell that the res has been lower as the icons are
    > all in the 1280x1024 area of the screen. It's a known problem with this
    > model.)


    Interesting. Is that the ATI X1400 graphics? If so it sounds really
    weird as my R60 with X1400 has never displayed those symptoms.
    >
    > I have a couple R40s, one without a mini-PCI card (I'm watching/bidding on a
    > couple auctions, one finishes in 4 hours) and the other only does a/b wifi.


    There is a 2200BG card sitting here if you're interested.
     
    EMB, Sep 3, 2009
    #7
  8. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, maybe this is it. I'm looking from an IBM T60 that has weird
    >> drivers in other ways. AP is a 3Com 3CRWE454G72.

    >
    > My IBM R60 behaves well in a wireless sense, but it took a wee bit of
    > chasing drivers to stop it just "losing" the wireless card
    > intermittently. I've never had encryption misreporting problems with
    > any 3CRWE454G72 I have owned.



    Ok. I've not used wireless much. Basically set it up, set a profile on my
    T60, R51 and 'desktop' machine that is part of my AV system at t'other end
    of house (using the passphrase in entered into the AP). I updated the AV
    machine and the haven't had reason to use the wiresless since (other than
    when I turned it on to check with inSSider) so have unplugged the AP.

    >> (Resolution is 1400x1050 but everytime the lid is closed with the
    >> machine running it drops back to 1280x1024. It goes back to
    >> 1400x1050 again when the lid is opened but you can tell that the res
    >> has been lower as the icons are all in the 1280x1024 area of the
    >> screen. It's a known problem with this model.)

    >
    > Interesting. Is that the ATI X1400 graphics? If so it sounds really
    > weird as my R60 with X1400 has never displayed those symptoms.



    Yep, although I hear that the T60/p's with Intel graphics also have the
    problem:

    http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=78708

    I've tried uninstalling the IBM drivers and using just the ATI .inf file but
    to no avail. I ended up using System Update to go back to the latest
    'official' drivers. <shrug> I guess I can live with it.

    >> I have a couple R40s, one without a mini-PCI card (I'm
    >> watching/bidding on a couple auctions, one finishes in 4 hours) and
    >> the other only does a/b wifi.

    >
    > There is a 2200BG card sitting here if you're interested.


    Hmmm, yes, could well be interested. I need to get some stuff to you soon
    anyway so maybe I'll come for a coffee this weekend?

    I'm not sure how the R40s will go with a b/g card as they only came with an
    a/b, at least the ones I have did.

    Hmm, auction for one finishes in 2 mins, no bids, $40 reserve.... I do need
    two I guess, the a/b card I have would require that I drop back to WPA or
    WEP I believe?

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
    warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
     
    ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2009
    #8
  9. Lukagain Cos ThistleBounce

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs EMB wrote:
    >> There is a 2200BG card sitting here if you're interested.

    >
    > Hmmm, yes, could well be interested. I need to get some stuff to you
    > soon anyway so maybe I'll come for a coffee this weekend?
    >
    > I'm not sure how the R40s will go with a b/g card as they only came
    > with an a/b, at least the ones I have did.
    >
    > Hmm, auction for one finishes in 2 mins, no bids, $40 reserve.... I
    > do need two I guess, the a/b card I have would require that I drop
    > back to WPA or WEP I believe?


    *After* purchasing said card I find that ThinkPads have a whitelist of
    hardware IDs in their BIOS that only allow them to use IBM supplied wireless
    cards (1802 error) and then only certain cards for certain models. :-(

    I've ordered a PCI - mini-PCI adapter from DealExtreme ($4.50US) so at least
    I'll be able to use the (Intel 2915 A/B/G) card in a desktop machine.

    I found instructions for modifying the laptop BIOS whitelist which is
    frankly beyond me and risks bricking the machine. However, I've also found
    instructions for changing the mini-PCI ID code to one that *is* whitelisted
    for the particular laptop (but not how to find out which ones are, or their
    codes). However, the second, safer option not only requires either a second
    mini-PCI slot in a laptop or a PCI - miniPCI adapter (such as the one I've
    ordered from DX) but also requires using a linux OS and more coding skills
    than I possess.

    Oh well, you live and learn.
    --
    Shaun.

    "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
    warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.
     
    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2009
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Asus P5LD2-Deluxe WiFi-TV Edition @ Viperlair

    Silverstrand, Sep 21, 2005, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    726
    Silverstrand
    Sep 21, 2005
  2. Mike
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    944
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    576
  4. (PeteCresswell)
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    663
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Dec 29, 2008
  5. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    694
Loading...

Share This Page