    networking setup.

    Cheers
    nof
    nof, Dec 22, 2009

  2. nof

    EMB Guest

    nof wrote:
    > Today I had the server's help on the phone and an hour later the
    > laptop was cleared and wifi was working. Now I'll have to get really
    > serious about Apple on the one hand and W7 on the other. iPhone just
    > won't reach my network although it knows that the network is there.
    > Just won't let me JOIN.
    >
    > W7 must have a fault in the Networking area. I am out of ideas for
    > this. Channels? Encryption? Cussedness? I can't system restore to
    > Vista can I? Oct 22 was the date I bought it. I would like to see its
    > networking setup.

    Windows will have *nothing* to do with your iphone failing to connect to
    the network.
    EMB, Dec 22, 2009

  3. nof

    nof Guest

    On 22 Dec, 18:24, EMB <> wrote:
    > nof wrote:
    > > Today I had the server's help on the phone and an hour later the
    > > laptop was cleared and wifi was working. Now I'll have to get really
    > > serious about Apple on the one hand and W7 on the other. iPhone just
    > > won't reach my network although it knows that the network is there.
    > > Just won't let me JOIN.

    > > W7 must have a fault in the Networking area. I am out of ideas for
    > > this. Channels? Encryption? Cussedness? I can't system restore to
    > > Vista can I? Oct 22 was the date I bought it. I would like to see its
    > > networking setup.

    > Windows will have *nothing* to do with your iphone failing to connect to
    > the network.

    Without doubt W7 has nothing to do with the problem. It comes down to
    the router. Given that it has a password, it is not letting me join.
    The modem is Thomson TG585v7 so I am looking for a button for change
    password. Thomson have a new partner and the page is different.

    Thanks everyone

    nof
    nof, Dec 24, 2009
  4. nof

    David Empson Guest

    nof <> wrote:

    > On 22 Dec, 18:24, EMB <> wrote:
    > > nof wrote:
    > > > Today I had the server's help on the phone and an hour later the
    > > > laptop was cleared and wifi was working. Now I'll have to get really
    > > > serious about Apple on the one hand and W7 on the other. iPhone just
    > > > won't reach my network although it knows that the network is there.
    > > > Just won't let me JOIN.

    > > > W7 must have a fault in the Networking area. I am out of ideas for
    > > > this. Channels? Encryption? Cussedness? I can't system restore to
    > > > Vista can I? Oct 22 was the date I bought it. I would like to see its
    > > > networking setup.

    > > Windows will have *nothing* to do with your iphone failing to connect to
    > > the network.

    > Without doubt W7 has nothing to do with the problem. It comes down to
    > the router. Given that it has a password, it is not letting me join.
    > The modem is Thomson TG585v7 so I am looking for a button for change
    > password. Thomson have a new partner and the page is different.

    Documentation for that router appears to be available here:

    <http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/pro
    duct-detail.php?id=161>

    Impressive level of detail, compared to most other brands I've dealt
    with.

    What encryption method are you using? If it is some form of WEP, you
    might need to enter a hex password instead of a human-readable one
    (because there is no consistent algorithm for human-readable WEP
    passwords). Not sure how you do that on an iPhone. Best solution in this
    case is to avoid WEP, as it is hopelessly insecure anyway.

    WPA or WPA2 should work without this sort of mucking around.

    From a quick glance at the router specs I can't see anything which
    stands out as an obvious issue you might run into (e.g. the router's
    WiFi is 802.11b/g, which is the same as the iPhone, so no possible
    802.11a or 802.11n confusion).

    Channels shouldn't be a problem as long as the iPhone was a NZ-sourced
    one. A US-sourced iPhone might not be able to use 802.11b/g channels 12
    and 13, since US regulations only allow channels 1-11. (Apple's Airport
    base stations follow these rules depending on the country or region in
    which they were supplied, so I'd expect similar for an iPhone.)

    A possible issue might be if you have used "strange" characters in the
    WiFi passphrase. The iPhone's keyboard appears to have all printable
    ASCII characters (except reverse quote), but you might run into code
    page compatibility problems with extended character sets (things like
    curly quotes, currency symbols other than $, etc.)

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Dec 24, 2009
  5. nof

    nof Guest

    On 24 Dec, 14:53, (David Empson) wrote:
    > nof <> wrote:

    > > > Windows will have *nothing* to do with your iphone failing to connect to
    > > > the network.

    > > Without doubt W7 has nothing to do with the problem. It comes down to
    > > the router. Given that it has a password, it is not letting me join.
    > > The modem is Thomson TG585v7 so I am looking for a button for change
    > > password. Thomson have a new partner and the page is different.

    > Documentation for that router appears to be available here:
    >
    > <http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/pro
    > duct-detail.php?id=161>
    >
    > Impressive level of detail, compared to most other brands I've dealt
    > with.
    >
    > What encryption method are you using? If it is some form of WEP, you
    > might need to enter a hex password instead of a human-readable one
    > (because there is no consistent algorithm for human-readable WEP
    > passwords). Not sure how you do that on an iPhone. Best solution in this
    > case is to avoid WEP, as it is hopelessly insecure anyway.
    >
    > WPA or WPA2 should work without this sort of mucking around.
    >
    > From a quick glance at the router specs I can't see anything which
    > stands out as an obvious issue you might run into (e.g. the router's
    > WiFi is 802.11b/g, which is the same as the iPhone, so no possible
    > 802.11a or 802.11n confusion).
    >
    > Channels shouldn't be a problem as long as the iPhone was a NZ-sourced
    > one. A US-sourced iPhone might not be able to use 802.11b/g channels 12
    > and 13, since US regulations only allow channels 1-11. (Apple's Airport
    > base stations follow these rules depending on the country or region in
    > which they were supplied, so I'd expect similar for an iPhone.)
    >
    > A possible issue might be if you have used "strange" characters in the
    > WiFi passphrase. The iPhone's keyboard appears to have all printable
    > ASCII characters (except reverse quote), but you might run into code
    > page compatibility problems with extended character sets (things like
    > curly quotes, currency symbols other than $, etc.)
    >
    > --
    > David Empson

    Thank you for the url. I've been there before and I think that
    192.168.1.254 is easier. The new site seems to me to be a public
    relations exercise. Today I have put the router back to default
    settings in the hope that the password would be expunged. I'll know
    more after restarting. I do have an apostrophe in my name which has
    been troublesome at times so I'll not use it for this exercise. My
    sources say to use network key WEP is favoured.

    This is exercising logic and head aches
    nof
    nof, Dec 25, 2009
  6. nof

    nof Guest

    On 25 Dec, 18:16, nof <> wrote:
    > On 24 Dec, 14:53, (David Empson) wrote:
    >

    > > nof <> wrote:

    > > > Without doubt W7 has nothing to do with the problem. It comes down to
    > > > the router. Given that it has a password, it is not letting me join.
    > > > The modem is Thomson TG585v7 so I am looking for a button for change
    > > > password. Thomson have a new partner and the page is different.

    > > Documentation for that router appears to be available here:

    > > <http://www.thomsonbroadbandpartner.com/dsl-modems-gateways/products/pro
    > > duct-detail.php?id=161>

    > > Impressive level of detail, compared to most other brands I've dealt
    > > with.

    > > What encryption method are you using? If it is some form of WEP, you
    > > might need to enter a hex password instead of a human-readable one
    > > (because there is no consistent algorithm for human-readable WEP
    > > passwords). Not sure how you do that on an iPhone. Best solution in this
    > > case is to avoid WEP, as it is hopelessly insecure anyway.

    > > WPA or WPA2 should work without this sort of mucking around.

    > > From a quick glance at the router specs I can't see anything which
    > > stands out as an obvious issue you might run into (e.g. the router's
    > > WiFi is 802.11b/g, which is the same as the iPhone, so no possible
    > > 802.11a or 802.11n confusion).

    > > Channels shouldn't be a problem as long as the iPhone was a NZ-sourced
    > > one. A US-sourced iPhone might not be able to use 802.11b/g channels 12
    > > and 13, since US regulations only allow channels 1-11. (Apple's Airport
    > > base stations follow these rules depending on the country or region in
    > > which they were supplied, so I'd expect similar for an iPhone.)

    > > A possible issue might be if you have used "strange" characters in the
    > > WiFi passphrase. The iPhone's keyboard appears to have all printable
    > > ASCII characters (except reverse quote), but you might run into code
    > > page compatibility problems with extended character sets (things like
    > > curly quotes, currency symbols other than $, etc.)

    > > --
    > > David Empson
    > >

    > Thank you for the url. I've been there before and I think that
    > 192.168.1.254 is easier. The new site seems to me to be a public
    > relations exercise. Today I have put the router back to default
    > settings in the hope that the password would be expunged. I'll know
    > more after restarting. I do have an apostrophe in my name which has
    > been troublesome at times so I'll not use it for this exercise. My
    > sources say to use network key WEP is favoured.
    >
    > This is exercising logic and head aches
    > nof

    Well folks here I am with the new episode for Boxing Day:

    On Dec 25, 5:40 pm, basil <> wrote:
    > On Dec 24, 12:33 pm, "JERD" <> wrote:
    >

    > > "basil" <> wrote in message

    > > > BULLSHIT
    > > > W7 will network quite happily in a mixed environment with
    > > > any other SMB based Network OS - Vista, XP, 9x, Linux+Samba etc.

    > > > --
    > > > What is the difference between a duck?

    > > Thank you all for your suggestions.

    > > I have done all the reset buttons. Com, I have done that series of
    > > buttons and been blocked every time - it's when I put the password in,
    > > it isn't accepted and I get the message: unable to join name of my
    > > net. I have been through the security settings also. I went to
    > > Vodafone this morning for the 3rd time this week. I learn something
    > > from each person or post. Vodafone thinks I should change the password
    > > on the router. It is a Thomson TG 585 v 7. I have emailed them just
    > > now because there is nothing on the site that works, for me, to change
    > > the password. Quite right about W 7 - it's not that.

    > > I trust you have done a serious Google search using keyword 'iPhone xxxx
    > > xxxx'?

    > > JERD

    > Dr Sir etc
    >
    > The site I mean is the Thomson site:http://192.168.1.254/helpfiles/
    >
    > It is helpful as a learning site but I still can't find a password
    > option. If you have iPhone this is what is happening:
    > settings/wifi/(then wait for your network name) click on it/ the
    > problem seems to strike here because I enter my IP and Subset Mask/
    > then there is nowhere to go. There is no save. I found the notes for
    > the Thomson and that enabled me to change the channel as someone
    > suggested. Telecom print out pages from: telecom.custhelp.com/ are
    > well detailed.
    >
    > All I want for Christmas is for iphone to be wifi
    >
    > nof

    Here is another episode: thomson site is 192.168.1.254

    It does have a facility to change the password - click toolbox then
    user management then change the password. Clicking on there it
    obviously asks for present password which is where the problem lies. I
    have put the modem through returning to factory defaults which may or
    may not be useful so I have gone through printed papers I have. I have
    found these settings:

    Network name
    Network key (WEP/WPA key)
    cdec481847824016b6d39409af822ed3blec97483681084c5edle001f0bdb745 -
    could this be the password?
    Key provided automatically (802.1x): 0
    Network authentication type: WPAPSK
    Data encryption Type:WPAPSK
    Data encryption Type: TKIP
    Connection Type: ESS
    Key Index:

    Do you think that the long string is the password?

    Thanks to all

    Hope you are having a great time. Be careful on the roads

    nof
    nof, Dec 25, 2009
  7. nof

    David Empson Guest

    nof <> wrote:

    > Well folks here I am with the new episode for Boxing Day:
    >
    > On Dec 25, 5:40 pm, basil <> wrote:
    > > On Dec 24, 12:33 pm, "JERD" <> wrote:
    > >

    > > > "basil" <> wrote in message

    > > > Thank you all for your suggestions.

    > > > I have done all the reset buttons. Com, I have done that series of
    > > > buttons and been blocked every time - it's when I put the password in,
    > > > it isn't accepted and I get the message: unable to join name of my
    > > > net. I have been through the security settings also. I went to
    > > > Vodafone this morning for the 3rd time this week. I learn something
    > > > from each person or post. Vodafone thinks I should change the password
    > > > on the router. It is a Thomson TG 585 v 7. I have emailed them just
    > > > now because there is nothing on the site that works, for me, to change
    > > > the password. Quite right about W 7 - it's not that.

    > > > I trust you have done a serious Google search using keyword 'iPhone
    > > > xxxx xxxx'?

    > > > JERD

    > > Dr Sir etc
    > >
    > > The site I mean is the Thomson site:http://192.168.1.254/helpfiles/
    > >
    > > It is helpful as a learning site but I still can't find a password
    > > option. If you have iPhone this is what is happening:
    > > settings/wifi/(then wait for your network name) click on it/ the
    > > problem seems to strike here because I enter my IP and Subset Mask/
    > > then there is nowhere to go. There is no save. I found the notes for
    > > the Thomson and that enabled me to change the channel as someone
    > > suggested. Telecom print out pages from: telecom.custhelp.com/ are
    > > well detailed.
    > >
    > > All I want for Christmas is for iphone to be wifi
    > >
    > > nof

    > Here is another episode: thomson site is 192.168.1.254

    Just to avoid further confusion with terminology: that is not the
    Thomson web site. It the address of your router. Accessing that address
    with your web browser shows you the built-in configuration web pages
    presented by your router, which allow you to configure your router. One
    of its features is that it provides access to online help.

    Nobody else can access your router configuration - it is entirely
    private to your router and local network (unless you turned on an option
    to allow remote management, which would be a bad idea; even in that
    case, nobody can access it using that IP address).

    Everyone else who has the same model of Thomson router can access the
    configuration of their own router using the same IP address (assuming
    they haven't changed its configuration to use a different address).

    Calling it the "Thomson site" is not helpful - it is not the Thomson web
    site (which is at the address I mentioned in an earlier post). Everyone
    without a Thomson router (such as me) only has access to the publically
    available documentation on the Thomson web site.

    > It does have a facility to change the password - click toolbox then
    > user management then change the password. Clicking on there it
    > obviously asks for present password which is where the problem lies.

    That is probably the wrong password. The router has at least two
    passwords:

    1. The password required to access the configuration of the router. This
    is always set to something simple by default, but it varies between
    brands. It is often something like "admin" or "password" unless you
    changed it. It has nothing to do with accessing the WiFi network.

    2. The WiFi network created by the router optionally has a password,
    passphrase or access key (teminology varies) which must be entered on
    all computers or other devices which are allowed to access the network.

    > I have put the modem through returning to factory defaults which may or
    > may not be useful so I have gone through printed papers I have. I have
    > found these settings:
    >
    > Network name
    > Network key (WEP/WPA key)
    > cdec481847824016b6d39409af822ed3blec97483681084c5edle001f0bdb745 -
    > could this be the password?
    > Key provided automatically (802.1x): 0
    > Network authentication type: WPAPSK
    > Data encryption Type:WPAPSK
    > Data encryption Type: TKIP
    > Connection Type: ESS
    > Key Index:
    >
    > Do you think that the long string is the password?

    Yes. It is the encoded form of the passphrase that would have been
    specified for the WiFi network. If you have restored factory defaults it
    may be a default one.

    When you set up a WiFi network using WPA-PSK (which is what you are
    using here), you normally get to specify a "password" or "passphrase"
    which must be a minimum of 8 characters long. This gets encoded into a
    fixed length key as a very big number. It appears your router is only
    showing you the encoded key rather than the human-readable password.

    I just tested this with my own WiFi network (created by an Apple Airport
    base station). Its management utility can show the equivalent network
    password, which displays it as the human-readable form I entered and the
    encoded form, which in my case is a string of 72 letters and numbers
    (actually a very big number in base 16, also known as hexadecimal, which
    is written out using the digits 0-9 and the letters A-F).

    I was able to join my WiFi network from my iPhone by entering the
    encoded form (very carefully).

    Now that you have posted it publically, you should change it, because
    anyone who knows where you live and finds this post will be able to get
    onto your WiFi network and borrow your Internet connection while sitting
    in a car outside.

    The procedure to change the WiFi password is described starting on page
    25 of the "TG585-v7_SetupUserGuide_en.pdf" document.

    It says you need to do the following. I've interleaved my comments in
    square brackets.

    1. Open the Thomson Gateway Web Interface (192.168.1.254).
    2. On the left menu, click Home Network.
    3. Under Wireless, click your access point.

    Your access point will be listed in the following format: "WLAN:<Network
    Name> (<Actual Speed>)". For example, WLAN: Thomson83C7C7 (54Mbps).

    4. The Wireless Access Point page appears.
    5. In the Location bar, click Configure.
    6. Under Security, you can change the Encryption.

    [You should use WPA-PSK encryption, so the steps for that are:]

    7. Select Use WPA-PSK Encryption.

    8. In the WPA-PSK Encryption Key box, type a pass phrase (also known as
    Pre-shared key) of your choice. The pass phrase must consist of 8 to 63
    alphanumeric characters or 64 hexadecimal characters (characters from 0
    to 9 and from A to F).

    [I suggest entering a human-readable pass phrase which you can remember,
    i.e. 8 to 63 alphanumeric characters. This will be easier to type in
    than the 64 hexadecimal digits encoded key.]

    9. In the WPA-PSK Version list, click the WPA-version of your choice.

    [I suggest using WPA+WPA2 for maximum compatibility, but if all your
    devices and computers are new enough you can select WPA2 only as that is
    more secure.]

    10. Click Apply.

    11. Configure your wireless client(s) with the same settings.

    [In the case of the iPhone, you will just need to type in the same
    passphrase you entered in step 8.]

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Dec 26, 2009
  8. nof

    nof Guest

    On 26 Dec, 14:11, (David Empson) wrote:
> [...]

    > 8. In the WPA-PSK Encryption Key box, type a pass phrase (also known as
    > Pre-shared key) of your choice. The pass phrase must consist of 8 to 63
    > alphanumeric characters or 64 hexadecimal characters (characters from 0
    > to 9 and from A to F).
    >
    > [I suggest entering a human-readable pass phrase which you can remember,
    > i.e. 8 to 63 alphanumeric characters. This will be easier to type in
    > than the 64 hexadecimal digits encoded key.]
    >
    > 9. In the WPA-PSK Version list, click the WPA-version of your choice.
    >
    > [I suggest using WPA+WPA2 for maximum compatibility, but if all your
    > devices and computers are new enough you can select WPA2 only as that is
    > more secure.]
    >
    > 10. Click Apply.
    >
    > 11. Configure your wireless client(s) with the same settings.
    >
    > [In the case of the iPhone, you will just need to type in the same

    I have no joy here. I can't get into the router's IP site because a
    window pops up asking for user name and password. I haven't got a
    password. The long string which all the world now knows doesn't work
    for me. Tomorrow a few people will be back at work so I'll see whom I
    can find to start this network again from scratch.

    Thanks everyone for the help and all the suggestions were useful in
    one way or another.

    nof
    nof, Dec 28, 2009
  9. nof

    EMB Guest

    nof wrote:

    > I have no joy here. I can't get into the router's IP site because a
    > window pops up asking for user name and password. I haven't got a
    > password. The long string which all the world now knows doesn't work
    > for me. Tomorrow a few people will be back at work so I'll see whom I
    > can find to start this network again from scratch.

    The default username is 'Administrator' (without the quotes).
    The default password is blank, so entering just the username and hitting
    the logon button will work if nothing has been changed from default.

    If they have been changed, then reset the router in its entirety by
    following the instructions on the below link, then set it back up from
    scratch again.

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/takeme2/ScreenShot051.png
    EMB, Dec 28, 2009
  10. nof

    nof Guest

    On 29 Dec, 09:41, EMB <> wrote:
    > nof wrote:
    > > I have no joy here. I can't get into the router's IP site because a
    > > window pops up asking for user name and password. I haven't got a
    > > password. The long string which all the world now knows doesn't work
    > > for me. Tomorrow a few people will be back at work so I'll see whom I
    > > can find to start this network again from scratch.

    > The default username is 'Administrator'  (without the quotes).
    > The default password is blank, so entering just the username and hitting
    > the logon button will work if nothing has been changed from default.
    >
    > If they have been changed, then reset the router in its entirety by
    > following the instructions on the below link, then set it back up from
    > scratch again.
    >
    > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/takeme2/ScreenShot051.png

    Just a quick answer. Yesterday everything went berserk however I
    looked at the router this morning and found that the wireless light on
    the router was off. I reset the router as above and I am back in
    business. The iPhone didn't recognise my network yet there was also
    progress in that a new network was recognised - coincidentally is the
    Thomson4B754E maybe there is something I can utilise?

    nof
    nof, Dec 28, 2009
  11. nof

    nof Guest

    On 29 Dec, 11:12, nof <> wrote:
    > On 29 Dec, 09:41, EMB <> wrote:
    >

    > > nof wrote:
    > > > I have no joy here. I can't get into the router's IP site because a
    > > > window pops up asking for user name and password. I haven't got a
    > > > password. The long string which all the world now knows doesn't work
    > > > for me. Tomorrow a few people will be back at work so I'll see whom I
    > > > can find to start this network again from scratch.

    > > The default username is 'Administrator'  (without the quotes).
    > > The default password is blank, so entering just the username and hitting
    > > the logon button will work if nothing has been changed from default.

    > > If they have been changed, then reset the router in its entirety by
    > > following the instructions on the below link, then set it back up from
    > > scratch again.

    > >http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/takeme2/ScreenShot051.png

    > Just a quick answer. Yesterday everything went berserk however I
    > looked at the router this morning and found that the wireless light on
    > the router was off. I reset the router as above and I am back in
    > business. The iPhone didn't recognise my network yet there was also
    > progress in that a new network was recognised - coincidentally is the
    > Thomson4B754E maybe there is something I can utilise?
    >
    > nof

    Hello everyone

    I contacted Apple helpline and I now have a wireless connection. Maybe
    I can help others.

    nof
    nof, Dec 29, 2009