WiFi VOIP

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Jono, Dec 11, 2005.

  1. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Jono, Dec 11, 2005

  2. Jono

    John Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    news:_ZVmf.6645$...
    > Fancy getting one of these: http://www.provu.co.uk/utstar_f1000.html
    >
    > Recommendations for & against, please.

    A nice I idea, but I would take the option would be to buy a standard SIP
    unit and just hook up a standard cordless phone to it. That way you have
    the choice of many cheaper cordless phones to use and multiple handsets too
    (for much less cost). It also means that you could replace a broken handset
    for little cost (should you damage the handset).

    802.11b is becoming less popular for use on WiFi and this unit doesn't
    appear to support 802.11g

    I have read somewhere that the WPA support on this unit is bad and doesn't
    work very well, so you might be forced to use WEP to protect your network in
    order to get this working properly.

    Its expensive compared to other options that achieve similar goals (mobile
    SIP phone, see my option above)
    John, Dec 11, 2005

  3. "John" <> wrote in message

    > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    >> Fancy getting one of these: http://www.provu.co.uk/utstar_f1000.html
    >>
    >> Recommendations for & against, please.

    > A nice I idea, but I would take the option would be to buy a standard SIP
    > unit and just hook up a standard cordless phone to it. That way you have
    > the choice of many cheaper cordless phones to use and multiple handsets
    > too
    > (for much less cost). It also means that you could replace a broken
    > handset
    > for little cost (should you damage the handset).
    >
    > 802.11b is becoming less popular for use on WiFi and this unit doesn't
    > appear to support 802.11g
    >
    > I have read somewhere that the WPA support on this unit is bad and doesn't
    > work very well, so you might be forced to use WEP to protect your network
    > in
    > order to get this working properly.
    >
    > Its expensive compared to other options that achieve similar goals (mobile
    > SIP phone, see my option above)

    Thanks for your thoughts John.

    I already have a number of ATAs and thought this might be fun on the move as
    well as at home.
    The Cable Guy, Dec 11, 2005
  4. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Jono, Dec 11, 2005
  5. Jono

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Fancy getting one of these:
    > http://www.provu.co.uk/utstar_f1000.html
    > Recommendations for & against, please.

    Sipgate have them for £119 inc. VAT, they're £139 + VAT on that site.
    Still a bit pricey for me though.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 11, 2005
  6. Jono

    stephen Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > Fancy getting one of these: http://www.provu.co.uk/utstar_f1000.html
    >
    > Recommendations for & against, please.

    cisco have had voip 802.11 phones for a while (i deal with their IP
    telephony at work sometimes) - say what you like about costs etc, cisco do
    put a lot of effort into support.....

    if you look here, there is a bunch of info and deployment recommendations,
    which may help you (or put you off of course)
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/ps5056/index.html

    big issue is that to share the air waves effectively when there is other
    traffic you need QoS, and the standards for QoS on 802.11 dont seem to be
    mature, or widely implemented.

    given that at home i need 2 802.11 APs to cover 2 floors + a loft, but the
    DECT phone works everywhere off 1 base station, i would stick with DECT for
    now.
    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Dec 11, 2005

  7. >
    > A nice I idea, but I would take the option would be to buy a standard SIP
    > unit and just hook up a standard cordless phone to it. That way you have
    > the choice of many cheaper cordless phones to use and multiple handsets
    > too
    > (for much less cost). It also means that you could replace a broken
    > handset
    > for little cost (should you damage the handset).
    >
    > 802.11b is becoming less popular for use on WiFi and this unit doesn't
    > appear to support 802.11g
    >
    > I have read somewhere that the WPA support on this unit is bad and doesn't
    > work very well, so you might be forced to use WEP to protect your network
    > in
    > order to get this working properly.
    >
    > Its expensive compared to other options that achieve similar goals (mobile
    > SIP phone, see my option above)

    Will this work with out the need to contect it to a laptop or pc?

    Ta

    --

    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk Will post worldwide.
    www.simcard.me.uk Local Pre Pay Sim Cards. Mobile Phones - Satellite Phones
    www.payasyougo.me.uk, Dec 11, 2005
  8. Jono

    Jono Guest

    www.payasyougo.me.uk wrote:
    ||| A nice I idea, but I would take the option would be to buy a standard
    ||| SIP unit and just hook up a standard cordless phone to it. That way
    ||| you have the choice of many cheaper cordless phones to use and
    ||| multiple handsets too
    ||| (for much less cost). It also means that you could replace a broken
    ||| handset
    ||| for little cost (should you damage the handset).
    ||| 802.11b is becoming less popular for use on WiFi and this unit doesn't
    ||| appear to support 802.11g
    ||| I have read somewhere that the WPA support on this unit is bad and
    ||| doesn't work very well, so you might be forced to use WEP to protect
    ||| your network in
    ||| order to get this working properly.
    ||| Its expensive compared to other options that achieve similar goals
    ||| (mobile SIP phone, see my option above)
    || Will this work with out the need to contect it to a laptop or pc?
    || Ta

    That's the idea, yes.

    It connects to a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Router
    Jono, Dec 11, 2005
  9. www.payasyougo.me.uk, Dec 11, 2005
  10. Jono

    Martin² Guest

    stephen:
    >big issue is that to share the air waves effectively when there is other
    >traffic you need QoS, and the standards for QoS on 802.11 dont seem to be
    >mature, or widely implemented.

    QoS is available on some VOIP enabled routers e.g Draytek , Zyxel2602HWL,
    but as you already have VoIP ports a WiFi phone seems to be an overkill.

    Personally I am waiting for WiFi VoIP function on mobile phones, some new
    Nokia's are already available,
    but not cheap enough yet.

    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Dec 12, 2005
  11. On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:11:54 -0000, "www.payasyougo.me.uk"
    <webmaster@(remove_the_spam)pocket.me.uk> wrote:

    >Yup thats what i thourt but thourt i check.

    Is there an English translation of this available?
    English please, Dec 17, 2005
  12. Jono

    Mike Guest

    On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:32:44 +0000, English please <q.@.invalid>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:11:54 -0000, "www.payasyougo.me.uk"
    ><webmaster@(remove_the_spam)pocket.me.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Yup thats what i thourt but thourt i check.

    >Is there an English translation of this available?

    "I really am most grateful to you for confirming that my understanding
    in this matter was correct. I was fairly sure that I hadn't committed
    some elementary faux pas in my comprehension, but one can never be too
    sure, so I thought it would be eminently sensible to check that my
    appreciation was not too divergent from the truth."

    Alternatively,

    "Yous the man. Respect."

    HTH.

    Mike.

    --
    Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
    Mike, Dec 17, 2005
  13. Jono

    news Guest

    In message
    <>,
    English please <q.?@?.invalid> writes
    >On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:11:54 -0000, "www.payasyougo.me.uk"
    ><webmaster@(remove_the_spam)pocket.me.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Yup thats what i thourt but thourt i check.

    >Is there an English translation of this available?

    Just to see what would happen, I put it through Babelfish, translating
    from English into German. The German rendition is:

    Yup thats was i thourt aber thourt, die ich überprüfe

    So my guess is that the original was a mixture of English and German

    :))

    --
    Ian
    news, Dec 18, 2005