Wifi to wired networking.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Caretaker, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Situation is in my sisters house and is a desktop with XP home connected
    by wired LAN to BT Voyager 2100, then to NTL ADSL Broadband on a BT
    telephone line. This computer 'desktop' has a HP Laser attached to it
    and a folder set for sharing to all other users on 'home' workgroup.
    All works absolutely fine.

    Laptop with XP home, can connect to the Internet and to the desktop via
    LAN wired connection from laptop to Voyager router and to printer and
    shared folder and all works hunky-dory. All computers can be seen in
    'My Network Places' and all can speak, transfer and generally work with
    each other.

    However, when laptop is running using the BT 1040 Wifi adaptor it can
    connect to internet OK, but not to desktop shared folder or printer. It
    doesn't even 'see' the desktop and it's shared folder or printer. To
    print anything she has to connect it to the wired LAN connector, then it
    all works fine.

    We know the Wifi connection _has_ worked in the past, but apparently it
    hasn't for a month or so, and no, she doesn't know what she did before
    the situation changed. There are no viruses/trojans/spyware on her
    systems (Checked using Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG, EZ-trust and online
    scanners/spyware checkers.)

    I think we're missing something simple here, but can't sort it myself as
    I don't have a lot of time at sis' and could do with her having a go
    herself, to be truthful. :)

    Anyone if anyone has any clues it'd be much appreciated. It's all at my
    sisters house so any explanations need to be in newbie speak. :)

    --
    The Caretaker .........

    The Caretaker, Apr 7, 2005

  2. The Caretaker

    carson Guest

    "The Caretaker" <> wrote in message
    > Situation is in my sisters house and is a desktop with XP home connected
    > by wired LAN to BT Voyager 2100, then to NTL ADSL Broadband on a BT
    > telephone line. This computer 'desktop' has a HP Laser attached to it
    > and a folder set for sharing to all other users on 'home' workgroup.
    > All works absolutely fine.
    >
    > Laptop with XP home, can connect to the Internet and to the desktop via
    > LAN wired connection from laptop to Voyager router and to printer and
    > shared folder and all works hunky-dory. All computers can be seen in
    > 'My Network Places' and all can speak, transfer and generally work with
    > each other.
    >
    > However, when laptop is running using the BT 1040 Wifi adaptor it can
    > connect to internet OK, but not to desktop shared folder or printer. It
    > doesn't even 'see' the desktop and it's shared folder or printer. To
    > print anything she has to connect it to the wired LAN connector, then it
    > all works fine.
    >
    > We know the Wifi connection _has_ worked in the past, but apparently it
    > hasn't for a month or so, and no, she doesn't know what she did before
    > the situation changed. There are no viruses/trojans/spyware on her
    > systems (Checked using Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG, EZ-trust and online
    > scanners/spyware checkers.)
    >
    > I think we're missing something simple here, but can't sort it myself as
    > I don't have a lot of time at sis' and could do with her having a go
    > herself, to be truthful. :)
    >
    > Anyone if anyone has any clues it'd be much appreciated. It's all at my
    > sisters house so any explanations need to be in newbie speak. :)
    >
    > --
    > The Caretaker .........

    could be a firewall issue
    disable the firewalls on all computers
    then try to connect
    if you can connect the firewall rules need adjustment

    carson, Apr 7, 2005

  3. The Caretaker

    Brian Guest

    "The Caretaker" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Situation is in my sisters house and is a desktop with XP home connected
    > by wired LAN to BT Voyager 2100, then to NTL ADSL Broadband on a BT
    > telephone line. This computer 'desktop' has a HP Laser attached to it
    > and a folder set for sharing to all other users on 'home' workgroup.
    > All works absolutely fine.
    >
    > Laptop with XP home, can connect to the Internet and to the desktop via
    > LAN wired connection from laptop to Voyager router and to printer and
    > shared folder and all works hunky-dory. All computers can be seen in
    > 'My Network Places' and all can speak, transfer and generally work with
    > each other.
    >
    > However, when laptop is running using the BT 1040 Wifi adaptor it can
    > connect to internet OK, but not to desktop shared folder or printer. It
    > doesn't even 'see' the desktop and it's shared folder or printer. To
    > print anything she has to connect it to the wired LAN connector, then it
    > all works fine.
    >
    > We know the Wifi connection _has_ worked in the past, but apparently it
    > hasn't for a month or so, and no, she doesn't know what she did before
    > the situation changed. There are no viruses/trojans/spyware on her
    > systems (Checked using Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG, EZ-trust and online
    > scanners/spyware checkers.)
    >
    > I think we're missing something simple here, but can't sort it myself as
    > I don't have a lot of time at sis' and could do with her having a go
    > herself, to be truthful. :)
    >
    > Anyone if anyone has any clues it'd be much appreciated. It's all at my
    > sisters house so any explanations need to be in newbie speak. :)
    >
    > --
    > The Caretaker .........

    for the win xp firewall read this:
    http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/icf.htm

    the ports (nearly bottom of page) go for any other third party firewalls or
    routers installed aswell.

    also:

    guide to simple/professional file sharing
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

    also:

    printer/file sharing check list/trouble shooter:
    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsnetworking/tp/winfilesharing.htm

    Brian, Apr 7, 2005
  4. The Caretaker wrote:

    > Anyone if anyone has any clues it'd be much appreciated. It's all at my
    > sisters house so any explanations need to be in newbie speak. :)

    Hmmmmmmm, pretty weird, but all is sorted now and the laptop does work
    with either hard wired or wifi connections.

    However, there was nothing wrong with the protocols, the firewalls,
    ports, shares etc all it needed was to turn everything off for a while
    and re-start. I guess something had got 'stuck' somewhere and a re-boot
    of the router cured it.

    The wifi connection sometimes just doesn't 'see' the rest, but hey, it
    isn't meant to be easy, right. :)

    Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

    --
    The Caretaker .........