    Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

    --
    Brian

    Brian Reay, Oct 2, 2009

  2. Brian Reay

    Graham. Guest

    "Brian Reay" <> wrote in message
    news:bbqxm.121462$2...
    > I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
    > make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

    Assuming you have a usable "3" signal at home you may like to consider
    getting a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG handset which will make and receive
    Skype calls without any need of "3" credit, and of course you won't
    be limited to using it at home or where there is a hotspot.

    If you are keen to embark on a small VoIP project , there are ways you
    can extend this to call landlines and mobiles at VoIP rates, I have put
    some notes here www.skypegateway.webs.com

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Oct 2, 2009

  3. Brian Reay

    Brian Reay Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "Brian Reay" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
    >> make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

    > Assuming you have a usable "3" signal at home you may like to consider
    > getting a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG handset which will make and receive
    > Skype calls without any need of "3" credit, and of course you won't
    > be limited to using it at home or where there is a hotspot.

    Sadly, we don't have "3" coverage (or most other mobiles) but, otherwise, a
    good idea.

    I've an E71 on 3 with free Skype and it won't work here on the 3 network
    and, of course, the Skype on the E71 doesn't work on WiFi. I can't get Gizmo
    to work.

    --
    Brian

    Brian Reay, Oct 2, 2009
  4. Brian Reay

    Guest

    On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 17:50:13 +0100, "Brian Reay" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
    >make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >
    >Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

    I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
    added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
    line once the contact comes to an end in January .

    , Oct 2, 2009
  5. Brian Reay

    Graham. Guest

    >>I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
    >>make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

    > I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
    > added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
    > line once the contact comes to an end in January .

    Ouch! £40.25 per year for the number and
    14p/min to call a UK mobile? forgive me but I am not impressed.

    Compare that to the Sipgate/Betamax combination that many of us here
    use, free geographic numbers for people to call you, and calls to UK
    mobiles can be had for 5p/min.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Oct 3, 2009
  6. Brian Reay

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Brian Reay" <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
    > make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations, please?
    > Brian

    Try echolink instead

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Oct 3, 2009
  7. Brian Reay

    Graham. Guest

    "Steve Terry" <> wrote in message

    > "Brian Reay" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
    >> make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations, please?
    >> Brian
    >>

    > Try echolink instead

    Kewarzed?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Oct 3, 2009
  8. Brian Reay

    Guest

    On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 00:32:23 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >>>I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
    >>>make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

    >> I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
    >> added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
    >> line once the contact comes to an end in January .

    >Ouch! £40.25 per year for the number and
    >14p/min to call a UK mobile? forgive me but I am not impressed.

    I am sorry Graham but what is 40 a year in this age of high prices
    many people will spend more than that in pubs and clubs over this
    weekend and every other weekend.
    >Compare that to the Sipgate/Betamax combination that many of us here
    >use, free geographic numbers for people to call you, and calls to UK
    >mobiles can be had for 5p/min.

    If I have need to call a mobile I use the free minutes on the mobile I
    refuse and have refused for many years now to call any numbers other
    than geographical numbers via land line.Saynoto0870.com must have
    saved me pounds over the last few years.
    Sipgate no thanks but I do have a Betamax account voipcheap.com had it
    for quite a few years now.

    , Oct 3, 2009
  9. Brian Reay

    brian Guest

    On Fri, 02 Oct 2009 19:10:21 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

    > "Graham." <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "Brian Reay" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network
    >>> to make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

    >> Assuming you have a usable "3" signal at home you may like to consider
    >> getting a 3 Skypephone S2 PAYG handset which will make and receive
    >> Skype calls without any need of "3" credit, and of course you won't be
    >> limited to using it at home or where there is a hotspot.

    > Sadly, we don't have "3" coverage (or most other mobiles) but,
    > otherwise, a good idea.
    >
    > I've an E71 on 3 with free Skype and it won't work here on the 3 network
    > and, of course, the Skype on the E71 doesn't work on WiFi. I can't get
    > Gizmo to work.

    Perhaps you could try some different settings in order to get Gizmo, or
    another SIP provider, working on your phone. I posted some setting for
    the N95 that might be useful for you.
    http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t690823-re-voip-amp-sip-on-nokia-n-
    series.html

    brian, Oct 6, 2009
  10. Brian Reay

    brian Guest

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 05:35:50 +0100, Steve Terry wrote:

    > "Brian Reay" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network
    >> to make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any recommendations, please? Brian
    >>

    > Try echolink instead
    >
    > Steve Terry

    Hmmm interesting Terry, I didn't know about this. I've been off the air
    for years now and got rid of most of my gear, but this sounds interesting
    except that it operates on Windows and I don't have that. Pity we still
    aren't allowed to speak to non-licenced people too.

    brian, Oct 6, 2009
  11. Brian Reay

    simon Guest

    On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:41:37 GMT, said:

    >If I have need to call a mobile I use the free minutes on the mobile I
    >refuse and have refused for many years now to call any numbers other
    >than geographical numbers via land line.Saynoto0870.com must have
    >saved me pounds over the last few years.
    >Sipgate no thanks but I do have a Betamax account voipcheap.com had it
    >for quite a few years now.

    Ron, you change email addresses more often than my dog lifts his leg
    against a tree.

    simon, Oct 26, 2009
  12. Brian Reay

    Ivor Jones Guest

    On 26/10/09 20:38, simon wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:41:37 GMT, said:
    >
    >> If I have need to call a mobile I use the free minutes on the mobile I
    >> refuse and have refused for many years now to call any numbers other
    >> than geographical numbers via land line.Saynoto0870.com must have
    >> saved me pounds over the last few years.
    >> Sipgate no thanks but I do have a Betamax account voipcheap.com had it
    >> for quite a few years now.

    > Ron, you change email addresses more often than my dog lifts his leg
    > against a tree.

    He's making progress though, at least he included the word Sipgate in a
    message without going off on one.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Oct 26, 2009
  13. Brian Reay

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    >>>I'm looking to buy a "Skype phone" I can use via my home WiFi network to
    >>>make and receive Skype calls without a PC.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any recommendations, please?

    >> I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
    >> added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
    >> line once the contact comes to an end in January .

    > Ouch! £40.25 per year for the number and
    > 14p/min to call a UK mobile? forgive me but I am not impressed.
    >
    > Compare that to the Sipgate/Betamax combination that many of us here
    > use, free geographic numbers for people to call you, and calls to UK
    > mobiles can be had for 5p/min.
    > Graham.

    Yes, but that's offset by the free Skype on Three using a Three Skype
    compatible phone.

    To use Sipgate on a mobile phone you would have to load a suitable app
    set it up and and pay for the data used

    A Three Skype compatible phone is a lot less messing around

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Oct 27, 2009
  14. Brian Reay

    Graham. Guest

    >>> I have just bought a "TECO" phone from Solwise and so far so good
    >>> added a skype in number and out service now all set to get rid of BT
    >>> line once the contact comes to an end in January .

    >> Ouch! £40.25 per year for the number and
    >> 14p/min to call a UK mobile? forgive me but I am not impressed.
    >>
    >> Compare that to the Sipgate/Betamax combination that many of us here
    >> use, free geographic numbers for people to call you, and calls to UK
    >> mobiles can be had for 5p/min.
    >> Graham.
    >>

    > Yes, but that's offset by the free Skype on Three using a Three Skype
    > compatible phone.
    >
    > To use Sipgate on a mobile phone you would have to load a suitable app
    > set it up and and pay for the data used
    >
    > A Three Skype compatible phone is a lot less messing around
    >
    > Steve Terry

    You're preaching to the converted Steve :)
    http://skypegateway.webs.com

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Oct 28, 2009
  15. Brian Reay

    Steve Terry Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    >>> Ouch! £40.25 per year for the number and
    >>> 14p/min to call a UK mobile? forgive me but I am not impressed.
    >>>
    >>> Compare that to the Sipgate/Betamax combination that many of us here
    >>> use, free geographic numbers for people to call you, and calls to UK
    >>> mobiles can be had for 5p/min.
    >>> Graham.
    >>>

    >> Yes, but that's offset by the free Skype on Three using a Three Skype
    >> compatible phone.
    >>
    >> To use Sipgate on a mobile phone you would have to load a suitable app
    >> set it up and and pay for the data used
    >>
    >> A Three Skype compatible phone is a lot less messing around
    >> Steve Terry

    > You're preaching to the converted Steve :)
    > http://skypegateway.webs.com
    > Graham.

    What a good idea, Skype though SIPtoSIS and using a cheap voip like
    smslisto,
    although Smartvoip.com now looks the cheapest for UK calls

    Steve Terry

    Steve Terry, Oct 28, 2009