    good price?
    Thanks
    Roger.

    Roger, Aug 20, 2005

  2. Roger

    RH Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anyone use one of these? Is the quality any worse than with a DECT
    > and ATA (which I currently have). Also where's the best place to get one
    > at a good price?
    > Thanks
    > Roger.

    I sell SIP phones and looking at some for possible resale. I have to say I
    was pretty impressed by the sound quality, had mine hooked
    up to voiptalk / gossiptel and sound quaility was very good at my end, no
    extra latency or break up in sound. only downside is battery life
    with people used to x amount of standby days on mobiles and dects the wifi
    phone needed much more recharging.

    I can't not really see the benefit unless you have maybe a large office with
    multiple access point to roam around, You can not typically
    use them incommerical hotspots as there is way of logging in like you do
    with with a laptop

    RH, Aug 20, 2005

  3. Roger

    Nick Guest

    "RH" <> wrote in message
    > "Roger" <> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone use one of these? Is the quality any worse than with a DECT
    > > and ATA (which I currently have). Also where's the best place to get one
    > > at a good price?
    > > Thanks
    > > Roger.

    > I sell SIP phones and looking at some for possible resale. I have to say I
    > was pretty impressed by the sound quality, had mine hooked
    > up to voiptalk / gossiptel and sound quaility was very good at my end, no
    > extra latency or break up in sound. only downside is battery life
    > with people used to x amount of standby days on mobiles and dects the wifi
    > phone needed much more recharging.
    >
    > I can't not really see the benefit unless you have maybe a large office

    with
    > multiple access point to roam around, You can not typically
    > use them incommerical hotspots as there is way of logging in like you do
    > with with a laptop

    Don't the NG cops work on Sunday? Come on, the above IS advertising yet
    nothing is said. You're happy to knock those who are willing to help and
    advise though.

    My input, forget WiFi SIP phones. More trouble than they're worth, very
    expensive for what they are and very difficult to set up.

    Nick, Aug 21, 2005
  4. Roger

    Guest

    On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:39:36 GMT, "Nick" <>
    wrote:

    >My input, forget WiFi SIP phones. More trouble than they're worth, very
    >expensive for what they are and very difficult to set up.

    And mine wouldn't have anything WiFi in the house technology gets more
    complicated with every day that passes I am sure that the wizkids that
    think of and build all the wonderful things that are about today
    expect every end user to have a uni degree in all subjects going .

    , Aug 21, 2005
  5. Roger

    Roger Guest

    > My input, forget WiFi SIP phones. More trouble than they're worth, very
    > expensive for what they are and very difficult to set up.

    its more from a practical point of view - I need another line and the phone
    wont be next to the router so I cant just plug in another ATA/phone.

    Roger, Aug 21, 2005
  6. Roger

    Nick Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message

    > > My input, forget WiFi SIP phones. More trouble than they're worth, very
    > > expensive for what they are and very difficult to set up.
    > >

    > its more from a practical point of view - I need another line and the

    phone
    > wont be next to the router so I cant just plug in another ATA/phone.

    ????? Your using a DECT, then stick with what you know. Another Dect unit
    isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg whereas a WiFi phone will.

    Nick, Aug 21, 2005
  7. Roger

    Roger Guest

    > ????? Your using a DECT, then stick with what you know. Another Dect unit
    > isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg whereas a WiFi phone will.

    Yes but how do I connect a DECT to a router thats not local to the DECT base
    station? If I've got to buy an ATA, a wireless ethernet adapter(to connect
    the DECT to the router) and a new DECT phone the cost is going to be up
    there or more than a WIFI SIP phone hence the original question.

    Roger, Aug 21, 2005
  8. Roger

    Peter Watson Guest

    Roger wrote:
    > Does anyone use one of these? Is the quality any worse than with a DECT and
    > ATA (which I currently have). Also where's the best place to get one at a
    > good price?
    > Thanks
    > Roger.

    I'm waiting to see what the Solwise VOIP DECT phone is like before I
    commit to buying an ATA. WiFi seems a bit of overkill for a cordless
    VOIP phone!

    Peter

    Peter Watson, Aug 21, 2005
  9. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:25:23 +0100, "Roger" <>
    wrote:

    >Yes but how do I connect a DECT to a router thats not local to the DECT base
    >station?

    at risk of sounding silly, why not move the base station close to the
    router ?

    I can't remember where one of my DECT base stations is, its upstairs
    somewhere and the handsets are charged on separate charger bases
    downstairs.

    Unless WiFi phones address their battery life so they run for several
    days like DECT phones I think the latter is more practical.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Aug 21, 2005
  10. Roger

    Roger Guest

    "Peter Watson" <> wrote in message
    > Roger wrote:
    >> Does anyone use one of these? Is the quality any worse than with a DECT
    >> and ATA (which I currently have). Also where's the best place to get one
    >> at a good price?
    >> Thanks
    >> Roger.

    > I'm waiting to see what the Solwise VOIP DECT phone is like before I
    > commit to buying an ATA. WiFi seems a bit of overkill for a cordless VOIP
    > phone!
    >
    > Peter

    from the picture on the website it looks like this is a combined dect/ata
    base station but crucially the handset charger is separate - can anyone
    confirm this? If this is the case it will do what I need i.e. be able to
    keep the phone away from the router.

    Roger, Aug 21, 2005
  11. Roger

    Roger Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:25:23 +0100, "Roger" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yes but how do I connect a DECT to a router thats not local to the DECT
    >>base
    >>station?

    > at risk of sounding silly, why not move the base station close to the
    > router ?
    >
    > I can't remember where one of my DECT base stations is, its upstairs
    > somewhere and the handsets are charged on separate charger bases
    > downstairs.
    >
    > Unless WiFi phones address their battery life so they run for several
    > days like DECT phones I think the latter is more practical.
    >
    > Phil
    > --
    > Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    because then I've got to buy a new DECT phone, a new ATA and a new charger -
    why have 3 bits of kit if one will do? (cost is an obvious answer to that
    ;-) )

    Roger, Aug 21, 2005
  12. On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 21:01:21 +0100, "Roger" <>
    wrote:

    >because then I've got to buy a new DECT phone, a new ATA and a new charger -
    >why have 3 bits of kit if one will do? (cost is an obvious answer to that
    >;-) )

    the DECT phone including charger and an ATA would probably come in
    well short of the price of a WiFi phone.

    the WiFi phone would need a charger too :)

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Aug 21, 2005
  13. Roger

    Ian Guest

    "Roger" <> wrote in message

    > "Peter Watson" <> wrote in message
    > > Roger wrote:
    > >> Does anyone use one of these? Is the quality any worse than with a DECT
    > >> and ATA (which I currently have). Also where's the best place to get

    one
    > >> at a good price?
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Roger.

    > > I'm waiting to see what the Solwise VOIP DECT phone is like before I
    > > commit to buying an ATA. WiFi seems a bit of overkill for a cordless

    VOIP
    > > phone!
    > >
    > > Peter

    > from the picture on the website it looks like this is a combined dect/ata
    > base station but crucially the handset charger is separate - can anyone
    > confirm this? If this is the case it will do what I need i.e. be able to
    > keep the phone away from the router.

    Having read the specs its seems so, The phone is based on a Philips and the
    ATA has an FXO which in the limited spec does say it supports connection to
    a softswitch.
    Price seems very reasonalble I will wait an see a few weeks after launch
    before I buy any for stock.

    Personally I have found VOIP over Wifi rather disapointing, It may be due to
    the house and office being solid stone so Wifi signals have limited success
    getting through the walls.

    Ian

    Ian, Aug 21, 2005
  14. Roger

    Nick Guest

    "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Roger" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Peter Watson" <> wrote in message

    DECT

    > one
    > > > I'm waiting to see what the Solwise VOIP DECT phone is like before I
    > > > commit to buying an ATA. WiFi seems a bit of overkill for a cordless

    > VOIP
    > > > phone!
    > > >
    > > > Peter

    > > from the picture on the website it looks like this is a combined

    dect/ata
    > > base station but crucially the handset charger is separate - can anyone
    > > confirm this? If this is the case it will do what I need i.e. be able to
    > > keep the phone away from the router.
    > >

    > Having read the specs its seems so, The phone is based on a Philips and

    the
    > ATA has an FXO which in the limited spec does say it supports connection

    > a softswitch.
    > Price seems very reasonalble I will wait an see a few weeks after launch
    > before I buy any for stock.
    >
    > Personally I have found VOIP over Wifi rather disapointing, It may be due

    > the house and office being solid stone so Wifi signals have limited

    success
    > getting through the walls.
    >
    > Ian

    Seems common sense has limited success getting through?

    Nick, Aug 21, 2005
  15. Roger

    RH Guest

    > Don't the NG cops work on Sunday? Come on, the above IS advertising yet
    > nothing is said. You're happy to knock those who are willing to help and
    > advise though.
    >
    > My input, forget WiFi SIP phones. More trouble than they're worth, very
    > expensive for what they are and very difficult to set up.

    Sorry I think you are talking tosh, In what way was it advertising? I see no
    link to any products I sell
    or even any indication of business the I run, I don't even sell wifi phones
    at the moment. I answered purely As someone who is very much interested in
    VOIP

    I hate advertising on newsgroups which is why i do not do it. I am on the
    newsgroup purley as I have an interested in VOIP of all kind
    SIP/H323/SKYPE/The next big thing

    I don't know what kind of industry you work in and which products you use in
    your day to day live, but if you are for example a plumber
    I would not exclude your advice on something related to a dripping tap just
    because you are a plumber and maybe able to help

    My comments were based on the fact I had been testing then both as a user
    and in a commerical sense with feedback from others, as you say they are too
    expensive at the moment, but they are no more difficult to set up than a lot
    of the the hardphones around, Like most hardphones configuration of the SIP
    servers etc is done via the webserver. which makes configuration quite
    simple. And I actually was amazed by the sound quality, I had previously
    used a
    VOIP client (SKYPE) on a IPAQ and found that naff, but VOIP Wifif technology
    has progressed a alot

    RH, Aug 22, 2005