    --
    thanks in advance

    Vern

    =?Utf-8?B?dmVybg==?=, Jun 1, 2006

  2. I was hoping someone with a sure fire experience would answer this, but

    So, I'll give you the answer you don't want to hear - maybe.

    Theoretically, there is no particular reason that your proposed setup would
    not work, and Windows XP SP2 wireless zero supports two simultaneous
    wireless connections. In practice the only time I tried this I was able to
    establish a wireless connection to both networks using XP's native
    capability. But, performance was flaky with multiple dropped connections,
    reconnects, etc. I was finally able to get good results by disabling
    wireless zero and using the connection software provided by the adapter
    manufacturers - having two different manufacturers is probably an advantage
    here.

    Make sure your ad hoc network uses a different channel from the marina's
    Internet service. You should have little problem distinguishing between the
    two adapters or identifying the two networks. Most software including XP
    provides settings to allow you to control auto connection, preferred
    networks, etc on per adapter basis.

    Also, if you get this working, you might want to consider enabling Internet
    Connection Sharing (ICS) on the new adapter. This would allow a partner or
    guests with laptops on your boat to connect to your ad hoc network and share
    the Internet connection. Also, a boat is an ideal platform for an external
    high gain antenna, but like all boat stuff this usually winds up being a
    custom installation with extra hardware expenses.

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "vern" <> wrote in message
    > I have a built in wifi card in my laptop that I used to set up an adhoc
    > network with my printer. I will be buying another wifi card, more

    powerful
    > and with antenna to be able to use the wifi interent service in our

    marina.
    > My current wifi card is not sensitive enough inside the boat for good
    > connections to the interent. How can I set it up so that the new card
    > connects to the local wifi provider while my original wifi card only

    connects
    > to the printer.
    >
    > Is this even possible. I don't have a router or other access point and

    have
    > no plans to buy any. I have very limited networking knowledge to begin

    with.

    Doug Sherman [MVP], Jun 7, 2006

  3. Thanks Doug, I actually got it to work with only a few headaches during the
    process.

    =?Utf-8?B?dmVybg==?=, Jun 8, 2006
  4. Go get 'em, Vern!

    Doug Sherman