    Is it likely a synch signal, or other housekeeping is always going to
    be on Ch SIX?

    TBerk
    TBerk, Apr 22, 2008

  2. TBerk

    smlunatick Guest

    All router mainly default to channel 6 and most wireless adapters (on Windows
    PCs -- your nodes) will always scan all available channels. It is possible
    that you have additional "wireless" networks in your area now and they may be
    using the "standard" channel (6) and your wireless adapter will show all
    available networks over all channels.

    smlunatick, Apr 22, 2008

  3. TBerk

    Lem Guest

    TBerk wrote:
    > Changed the default channel to SEVEN but when my remote node is used
    > to scan for local networks it looks like both SIX _and_ SEVEN are
    > showing up.
    >
    > The built in web based config screens don't show SIX as being
    > available, now that SEVEN has been selected. (It's a choose ONE kind
    > of setup.)
    >
    > Is it likely a synch signal, or other housekeeping is always going to
    > be on Ch SIX?
    >

    > TBerk

    A propos of smlunatick's observation that you may be seeing a nearby
    router broadcasting on channel 6, you should also bear in mind that
    although there are 13 channels (only 11 permitted in the US) in the
    802.11b/g band spaced at 5 MHz intervals, the spec permits an effective
    channel width of about 22 MHz. This means that to minimize problems
    between nearby stations one should use (again in the US) channels 1, 6,
    or 11.

    That is, if the reason you set your router to channel 7 is because you
    thought you were avoiding interference from someone nearby on channel 6,
    think again; use channel 1 or 11 instead.

    If you're interested in a discussion that beats this issue to death, see
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/channel/deployment/guide/Channel.html#wp134263
    (or http://tinyurl.com/246g7r)

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Apr 22, 2008
  4. Client Wireless (the one on the computer) can change its working channels in
    the middle of its work as needed.
    Source Wireless (Wireless Router/Access Point) is set to one channel and
    stays there. It only changes when you log to the Router and manually change
    it.
    If you have Windows XP you can install this free utility and see how your
    environment looks like.
    http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/
    Follow Lem's advise and choose 1, 6, or 11, depending on which one shows in
    Netstumbler the lowest signal that is generated by other Wireless that are
    not yours.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 22, 2008