    a wireless router make my life any easier or would it just be accepting
    defeat

    Thanks
    Veritech, Sep 7, 2004

  2. Veritech

    Commander Q Guest

    "Veritech" <> wrote in message
    news:Rpm%c.444$...
    > couple of questions, any answers welcome.
    >
    > 1) Are there any and third party applications that would allow me to
    > better
    > configure my network or lack of a network.
    >
    > 2) Has anyone actually got a ad-hoc network to work on a Win Me laptop
    > using
    > a Wifi b pcmcica card, cause i'm close to smashing mine to bits
    >
    > 3) I have've had it up to about here with the ad- hoc crap now, would
    > buying
    > a wireless router make my life any easier or would it just be accepting
    > defeat
    >
    > Thanks

    I'm not sure if i should mention this (my computer might get arsey and cause
    me more wifi hell...) but here goes!

    I have a winXP desktop (inc SP2), with a belkin usb wifi 802b adapter. This
    connects to my windows me laptop with it's belkin 802b pcmcia card. Network
    is ad-hoc mode - theres no access point, and i just use the windows internet
    connection sharing stuff to share the adsl line which my desktop's connected
    to.

    It's not all been plain sailing, and has taken a while to get set up
    properly. Perhaps because one of my failings is that i'm impatient and so i
    dont read any manuals - its all been a bit trial and errorish, but
    surprisingly XP Service pack 2's 'wireless network setup wizard' has done
    the business for me - it's worth a shot. I'm using XP to configure the
    desktop adapter, and the belkin software for the laptop (winme)

    I have recently toyed with the idea of getting a wifi router / modem, i
    think it would make life simpler, but for the time being it's working ok...

    Though now, you must understand that i've done a 'murray walker' and its all
    going to fall on its arse!!
    Commander Q, Sep 10, 2004