Wifi on Toshiba 1800 with Win2k

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ron S, Apr 13, 2007.

  1. Ron S

    Ron S Guest

    I'm trying to get the wifi working on a Toshiba Satellite 1800. This is
    one that had no HD. I installed an HD and installed Win2k SP4 on it. I
    downloaded the drivers from the web and got everything working except
    the wifi. I can successfully connect to my LAN if I plug in the ethernet
    cable. I know my wifi access point is working because I can connect
    using my other laptops and PDA. The Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager
    sees my wireless network ok, shows a good signal, and even shows the
    right MAC address of the access point. It passes all of its diagnostics.
    All the hardware seems to be working fine. I guess this is a Windows
    networking configuration issue. I can't get Windows to connect to the
    network using the wifi connection. In Network and Dial-up Connections I
    have two entries. One is "Local Area Connection". This is the ethernet
    connection. This works fine. The second one is "Local Area Connection
    2", which says Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card under Device Name.
    This does appear to be the correct device that Wireless LAN Client
    Manager is connected with. (If I disable that device in Device Manager,
    the signal in LAN Client Manager disappears.) but the status is always
    Network Cable Unplugged and I can't access the LAN or the Web or
    anything. What I am I missing here?

    Ron S, Apr 13, 2007

  2. Hi
    Some where, some thing, is misconfigured.
    There is not enough info to pinpoint where. Read the following pages and
    check evry thing as suggeted.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 13, 2007

  3. Ron S

    Ron S Guest

    I've looked at all this stuff. I actually found it kinda frustrating
    looking at this stuff. Everything looks like what it's supposed to look
    like, except for the "Network Cable Unplugged" thing, which I think is
    the symptom I'm trying to troubleshoot.

    I don't see anything that appears out of the ordinary. Devices shows it
    to be operational. Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager shows it to be
    operational. Network and Dial-up Connections says "Network Cable
    Unplugged". What would cause this?

    Ron S, Apr 18, 2007
  4. Hi
    If there was only one simple thing that causes the error, the answer would
    be simple. However many problems that does not produce a solid connection
    between the computer and the Router can cause such a display.
    So you have to read and check all the settings as mentioned in the pages, if
    you can not find any thing or fell that this is not your "cup of tea" try to
    seek local professional advice.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Apr 18, 2007
  5. Ron S

    Ron S Guest

    I AM a professional. I've worked in IT for 27 years and I've resurrected
    several PCs with no HDs as a hobby/side job. >>read and check all the
    settings as mentioned in the pages<< isn't helping. All the settings on
    these pages are correct. I think I may have missed installing some
    Toshiba-specific or mini-pci-wireless-lan-card-specific piece of
    software, or I have the wrong driver version, or something like that. I
    was hoping someone out there might be able to give me something more
    specific to check for.

    Ron S, Apr 18, 2007
  6. Ron S

    Lem Guest

    Ron S wrote:
    > I AM a professional. I've worked in IT for 27 years and I've resurrected
    > several PCs with no HDs as a hobby/side job. >>read and check all the
    > settings as mentioned in the pages<< isn't helping. All the settings on
    > these pages are correct. I think I may have missed installing some
    > Toshiba-specific or mini-pci-wireless-lan-card-specific piece of
    > software, or I have the wrong driver version, or something like that. I
    > was hoping someone out there might be able to give me something more
    > specific to check for.
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> If there was only one simple thing that causes the error, the answer
    >> would be simple. However many problems that does not produce a solid
    >> connection between the computer and the Router can cause such a display.
    >> So you have to read and check all the settings as mentioned in the
    >> pages, if you can not find any thing or fell that this is not your
    >> "cup of tea" try to seek local professional advice.
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>
    >> "Ron S" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've looked at all this stuff. I actually found it kinda frustrating
    >>> looking at this stuff. Everything looks like what it's supposed to
    >>> look like, except for the "Network Cable Unplugged" thing, which I
    >>> think is the symptom I'm trying to troubleshoot.
    >>>
    >>> I don't see anything that appears out of the ordinary. Devices shows
    >>> it to be operational. Toshiba Wireless LAN Client Manager shows it to
    >>> be operational. Network and Dial-up Connections says "Network Cable
    >>> Unplugged". What would cause this?

    Ron, although the name of this ng is "windows.networking.wireless" most
    posters -- by far -- use some flavor of WinXP rather than Win2k. You
    might get more relevant knowledge if you post in
    microsoft.public.win2000.networking, and I'd use a topic like, "Wifi
    shows Network Cable Unplugged but it isn't" or something like that.

    For further diagnostic info, try running ipconfig /all from a command
    prompt.

    I'm not familiar enough with Win2k to tell you what's wrong, although it
    does sound as if the wrong driver could be the issue. Double check that
    you downloaded the correct Win2k driver. While you're waiting for a
    response from the Win2k networking folks, you might try the procedure in
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239924/en-us but back up the registry
    first. And I suspect that it won't cure the underlying problem.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Apr 18, 2007
  7. Toshiba Mini PCI wifi Adaptor and W2K

    I had the same problem with a Satellite 1405-S151.
    After hours of looking around I found this patch for the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pcmcia\Parameters

    "DisableIsaToPciRouting"=dword:00000000

    Worked like a charm for me...

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Daniel Thomas, May 19, 2007
  9. Toshiba Mini PCI wifi Adaptor and W2K

    I had the same problem with a Satellite 1405-S151.
    After hours of looking around I found this patch for the registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\
    Pcmcia\Parameters

    "DisableIsaToPciRouting"=dword:00000000

    Worked like a charm for me...

    Sorry about the multi posts, but the data went missing for some reason

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Daniel Thomas, May 19, 2007
  10. RE: Toshiba Mini PCI wifi Adaptor and W2K

    I can't believe this actually worked! Worked for my Toshibe Portege 4000 - I
    was having the same problems - been fighting with it for days! Cheers Daniel!

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmsgUXVpbm4=?=, Jun 2, 2007
  11. Ron S

    Ron S Guest

    Re: Toshiba Mini PCI wifi Adaptor and W2K

    Thanks for the tip, but that one didn't work for me. However I did
    finally find the solution that worked for me in this thread:

    http://www.techimo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122517

    This is probably also applicable to other Mini-PCI Wi-Fi with Windows
    2000. Text repeated here for your convenience:

    WIFI connection good but icon says unplugged
    Problem: Toshiba laptop with Wireless LAN mini PCI card kept showing
    "unplugged" state even though wireless connection was Excellent and all
    encryption settings were correct.

    Solution: I found a utility linked to from Dell's site which fixed the
    problem... http://ftp.us.dell.com/network/w2kroute.exe

    Here's a link to the Dell website that has more info about the
    w2kroute.EXE patch:

    http://support.us.dell.com/support/...aseid=R22540&formatcnt=1&libid=0&fileid=23139

    Ron S, Dec 11, 2007