    wireless connection. I have read here and there that I should see wireless
    in my newworking places but see nothing.

    Thanks for any help.
    MO, Sep 6, 2007

  2. MO

    MO Guest

    Re: wifi newbie question - please help

    Please can someone help me with this ...

    thanks

    MO, Sep 6, 2007

  3. Hi
    To have a Wireless connection you need a Wireless source.
    Wireless source is usually a Wireless Cable/DSL Router or an Access Point.
    Its connected to your Mode, or your Router and provides the Internet through
    a Wireless Signal.
    Such a device can be bought in stores that sell computers, and usually cost
    $30 to $100.
    The whole system would look like this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.html
    May be this can Help, in configuring your Wireless computer.
    http://www.ezlan.net has a lot of other pages that can help more about
    issues of Networking in general, and Wireless in particular.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 6, 2007
  4. MO

    Lem Guest

    MO wrote:
    > I have Win XP and Sony Vaio laptop with WLAN 802.11 b/g.
    >
    > Firstly, I have a broadband/ADSL connection with Free.Fr which works fine
    > but would like to try connecting from my house but without the wires! Do I
    > need to get another card, I am now sure if the ADSL Freebox is enough or if
    > I need to buy a card from them? They are impossible to get on the phone.
    >
    > Secondly, is there somewhere in WinXP where I have to go to 'enable'
    > wireless connection. I have read here and there that I should see wireless
    > in my newworking places but see nothing.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    In order to have a wireless connection to the Internet, you need two
    pieces of hardware (in addition to the software that supports them):

    1. something physically connected to the Internet that also
    incorporates a wireless transmitter/receiver, and

    2. something physically connected to your computer that also
    incorporates a wireless transmitter/receiver.

    Your Sony Vaio has item 2. I don't know whether the "Freebox" you have
    incorporates wireless capability or not. If it is this one
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebox) then the answer is no, it does not.

    The item you need to get is a "wireless router." There are various
    manufacturers who sell these: Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, Buffalo
    Technologies, Belkin, to name a few. I don't have any idea what models
    are available in France (assuming that's where you are). You do not
    need to get this from Free.Fr. Although "no-name" devices may be less
    expensive, if you buy one of the "name brands" you will be able to get
    help from many users -- whether or not the manufacturer itself provides
    support.

    There are many web sites that explain how to setup a wireless router to
    provide Internet connectivity -- if the setup guide/user manual that
    comes with the router itself doesn't explain it adequately for you.
    Here's one from Microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx

    Finally, the reason why you do not see your wireless connection in
    "Network Connections" probably is because the wireless adapter in your
    Vaio is turned off. I believe that Vaio's have a small switch, probably
    on the front of the laptop, that turns the wifi adapter on and off.
    Check the User's Guide for exact location.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Sep 6, 2007
  5. MO

    MO Guest

    Thanks for your reply to you and also Jack, however, I am so confused still.

    You are right about the little switch on the front of the VAIO, it is on and
    yet I see no icon for Wireless anywhere under Network Connections. Sony say
    to turn on the Wireless LAN switch (which I've done) and right click on the
    network icon on the taskbar displaying the Wireless Netowrk Connection
    message: that's the problem, I don't seem to have that!

    When I first got my VAIO I constantly got little notifications saying
    Wireless on or off or something to that effect and it seems to me I disabled
    that. Now, I cannot see anywhere in the computer a way to turn that
    notification back on.

    As for the Freebox, Mine does look like the one in the website link you sent
    me. I got it just over a year ago and they told me that I would be able to
    connect 'wireless'. I see no version numbers anywhere as those referred to
    in your link but I have the model number from the bottom of the box; it is:
    C0616-FBX-ADSL04R

    Should I see an icon in Network Connections for Wireless?

    Thanks for any help, I am lost here.

    Mo

    MO, Sep 6, 2007
  6. MO

    MO Guest

    Thank you.
    I am trawling through the websites you gave me but seem to be missing a
    Wireless Connection Icon in the computer in Win XP.
    Mo

    MO, Sep 6, 2007
  7. MO

    Lem Guest

    Right-click on My Computer. Select Properties. Click the Hardware tab.
    Click the Device Manager button. Click on the + next to Network adapters.

    Do you see an entry for your wireless adapter? Double-click on that
    entry. At the bottom of the page that opens, make sure that the
    drop-down box says "Use this device (enable)." OK your way out.

    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Sep 6, 2007
  8. "MO" wrote:

    > I have Win XP and Sony Vaio laptop with WLAN 802.11 b/g.
    >
    > Firstly, I have a broadband/ADSL connection with Free.Fr which works fine
    > but would like to try connecting from my house but without the wires! Do I
    > need to get another card, I am now sure if the ADSL Freebox is enough or if
    > I need to buy a card from them? They are impossible to get on the phone.
    >
    > Secondly, is there somewhere in WinXP where I have to go to 'enable'
    > wireless connection. I have read here and there that I should see wireless
    > in my newworking places but see nothing.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Hi MO,
    Do you have a Wireless Device Switch manger Icon on your Notification area?.
    If you do, double click it. It will open a windows having two option/check
    boxes, one of them the wireless LAN and the other is the Bluetooth, select
    the Wireless LAN check box and click [OK].
    You have also the VAIO Hardware Diagnostics Wizard, run this to see if the
    wireless having trouble or not, by clicking Start >> All programs >> VAIO
    Hardware Diagnostics >> Click Run Test and see what will come up.
    Also click on Tools Tab at the top, then click on Device manger Button.
    On Device manager Expand the plus [+] beside the :
    [+] Network Adapters
    - 1394 Net Adapter
    - Intel(r)~~~~
    - Intel(R) Pro/Wireless 3935~~Network Connection <- Right click on that
    and select properties.
    Read the info there and dos it conflict or malfunctioning?, it been
    Disabled, try to Enable it and you should be ready for the next phase, which
    setting up wireless:
    Wireless by Barb Bowman:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/expert/bowman_wirelesssecurity.mspx
    Set up a wireless network
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx
    HTH.
    nass
    ----
    www.nasstec.co.uk
    =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=, Sep 6, 2007
  9. MO

    MO Guest

    ok, under Network Adapters there are two entries (both say 'use this
    device'):
    1394 Net Adapter
    and
    Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

    but I still don't seem to have the Network icon on the taskbar displaying
    Wireless Network Connection?

    MO, Sep 7, 2007
  10. MO

    Lem Guest

    Your wireless adapter is either turned off or broken. Try again with
    the switch in the other position. Otherwise, consult Sony.

    Lem, Sep 7, 2007
  11. MO

    Mo Guest

    I did consult Sony and they are puzzled as, although my specs have a Wifi
    card, there is no sign of it working or otherwise in the devices (no wonder
    I could not find the icon!). They asked me to do a full system recovery
    which I did (took me a day to back up my data and then re-install all the
    Windows and Vaio updates), but no change: still no sign of WiFi on my Vaio
    except the little light comes on when the WLAN switch is on.

    It was only 2 years old in February and I never did get to use the Wireless
    capability. Don't know if Sony will help me with this. Perhaps someone
    will have an idea?

    Mo

    Mo, Sep 9, 2007
  12. MO

    Lem Guest

    At this point the only options I can think of for you are:

    1. Take the laptop to a qualified computer repair shop. I don't know
    what's available where you live, but I would suggest not going to a big
    chain store or similar operation. If you in fact have missing or
    defective hardware (and it seems likely that you do), you can only
    confirm that by opening the laptop case and swapping in a known-good
    component. Based on your previous posts, you probably don't want to do
    that yourself.

    2. Forget about the built-in wifi and buy an external wifi adapter.
    These come in several varieties. Using Linksys for example only (all of
    the major wireless networking manufacturers sell these), you can get
    (all links are to the Linksys web site):

    a "pc card" -- http://tinyurl.com/2ftxfp
    a USB "thumb drive" type -- http://tinyurl.com/2g97yj
    a larger USB adapter (with a better antenna) -- http://tinyurl.com/35nk2y

    If you get a USB adapter, and if it comes with or you buy a USB
    extension cable, you have greater flexibility on locating the adapter
    and its antenna. This is perhaps more important for desktop computers
    than laptops, because you usually can just move the laptop to get better
    reception.

    Lem, Sep 9, 2007
  13. My Daughter has the same LAPTOP, but her WLAN does not do any searches for
    available connections. It shows straight away that there is none available
    without completing a search. One is available, mine and jsut a few feet
    away.

    Anyone know what could be the problem?.. Drivers. etc show the WLAN is
    working properly but just does not search.....

    regards all...Rob

    The

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9i?=, Oct 6, 2007
  14. In article <>, Rob
    <> writes
    >My Daughter has the same LAPTOP, but her WLAN does not do any searches
    >for available connections. It shows straight away that there is none
    >available without completing a search. One is available, mine and jsut
    >a few feet away.
    >
    >Anyone know what could be the problem?.. Drivers. etc show the WLAN is
    >working properly but just does not search.....
    >
    >regards all...Rob

    I've only just gone wireless so I'm no expert but have you your SSID set
    to broadcast?

    #3 son called to borrow my internet with his laptop and could not see my
    wireless router as I have it hidden. I gave him my SSID and WPA pass
    phrase and he logged on OK.

    Mike

    Yorkshire Halvard Lange
    Michael Swift, Oct 6, 2007