wifi mystery

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Txl, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Txl

    Txl Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a desktop (SP2), a laptop (SP2) and an AP/router to set up.

    Both laptop and AP have the same SSID, channel number....

    Right now firewall and antivirus are disabled on all machines and the AP
    is set to accept all connections from all Wireless machines without WEP or
    WPA.

    On the laptop the broadcom util (3.70.17.0) tells me that I am connected,
    I can see packets moving back and forth but I can't ping the machines or
    the router from the laptop.

    The AP is 192.168.0.1 and the other machines have fixed IPs 192.168.0.2
    and 192.168.0.13.

    I really don't know why it tells me it's connected and nothing works, not
    even ping on "wide opened" machines without firewall or anything (meaning
    no windows fiurewall and the "real" one is disabled for the time being).

    What could it be ?

    Thanks.

    --
    Email contact

    http://cerbermail.com/?ltQ8eCFmRa
    Txl, Mar 11, 2005

  2. On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:50:36 +0100, Txl <> wrote:

    >I have a desktop (SP2), a laptop (SP2) and an AP/router to set up.

    Any reason you didn't bother to disclose the make and model of the
    router? Unreleased product or too small type size?

    >Both laptop and AP have the same SSID, channel number....
    >
    >Right now firewall and antivirus are disabled on all machines and the AP
    >is set to accept all connections from all Wireless machines without WEP or
    >WPA.

    Which firewalls and anti-virus programs? I've had far too much
    entertainment value trying to convince Norton's Internet Security
    Firewall to turn off and stay off. The Windoze XP SP2 firewall turns
    off nicely but do check the Exceptions tab and make sure ping is
    enabled.

    >On the laptop the broadcom util (3.70.17.0) tells me that I am connected,
    >I can see packets moving back and forth

    I wish I could do that. For some reason, my eyes can't see 2.4Ghz.
    I'll ask the optometrist if he has a fix.

    >but I can't ping the machines or
    >the router from the laptop.

    Can't ping usually returns some kind of error message such as "no
    route to host", "interface down", or some configuration error message.
    What error are you getting when you try ping?

    >The AP is 192.168.0.1 and the other machines have fixed IPs 192.168.0.2
    >and 192.168.0.13.

    Do these "other machines" have an ethernet wired port? If so, forget
    about wireless for the moment and see if they work via a wired
    connection. That will eliminate any firewall, anti-virus, or parental
    control issues. If it works, unplug and continue troubleshooting the
    wireless. If not, fix the XP SP2 configuration.

    Any chance you have MAC address or IP address filtering enabled in
    your unspecified wireless router? Is so, turn it off for now. If you
    feel ambitious, just do a grand reset and start over on the router.

    You've apparently used fixed IP address on the clients. What did you
    use for a gateway? Hopefully, it's 192.168.0.1. Make sure by
    running:
    Start -> Run -> cmd <enter>
    ipconfig
    Strictly speaking, you don't need a default gateway for ping to work,
    but it does help in getting to the internet via the router.

    Also run:
    ping 192.168.0.1
    arp -a
    and see if it returns a proper MAC address and IP address pair.

    Other useful commands are:
    tracert 192.168.0.1 (where are my packets going?)
    route print (where are my packets suppose to go?)
    netstat -rn (same as above)

    --
    Jeff Liebermann -cruz.ca.us
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
    Jeff Liebermann, Mar 12, 2005

  3. Some of those machines (ap) can't manage IP ranges bigger than 8 or so. Just
    try to configure the laptop IP into that values.

    Mario Valladares, Mar 18, 2005
  4. Txl

    news Guest

    You didn't mention the IP of the laptop. Is the laptop's TCP settings
    configued for DHCP? Is the APs DHCP server turned on?

    news, Mar 19, 2005
  5. Some routers are set to deny ping requests by default.
    But it sounds like you have tcp/ip config issues. Hard to tell without more
    info

    -Brian

    Brian McMullen, Mar 25, 2005