    cable. Does anyone know how to share a wireless(Wi-Fi) connection and what
    hardware would be needed to accomplish this?

    Thanks in advance!

    =?Utf-8?B?Qy4gU2hhcnA=?=, Nov 10, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Qy4gU2hhcnA=?=

    __spc__ Guest

    "C. Sharp" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I travel a lot with 2 laptops with built in wirelss adapters but I always
    > have to purchase 2 connections at hotels when I know htere has to be a way
    > share one internet connection. I also travel with a wireless travel
    > router
    > but it requires an internet connection to be physically attached via a
    > CAT5
    > cable. Does anyone know how to share a wireless(Wi-Fi) connection and
    > what
    > hardware would be needed to accomplish this?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    The Laptop that connects to the internet needs two NICs. You then enable
    ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the internet connection NIC and the
    second NIC relays that connection to whatever it's connected to.

    So, two examples:

    internet via CAT5 to the first laptop, then ad hoc WiFi network connection
    between the two laptops.

    or

    internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network connection between
    the two laptops.

    You could also do:

    internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network connection to the
    WAN port of the router. The second laptop then connects to the WLAN of the
    router...

    __spc__, Nov 10, 2005

  3. I don't want to use ICS and from what you are saying this is the best
    scenario: internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network
    connection to the
    WAN port of the router. The second laptop then connects to the WLAN of the
    router... Is there any settings I need to change to create this bridge on
    the first laptop?

    =?Utf-8?B?Qy4gU2hhcnA=?=, Nov 10, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Qy4gU2hhcnA=?=

    __spc__ Guest

    "C. Sharp" <> wrote in message
    >I don't want to use ICS and from what you are saying this is the best
    > scenario: internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network
    > connection to the
    > WAN port of the router. The second laptop then connects to the WLAN of
    > the
    > router... Is there any settings I need to change to create this bridge on
    > the first laptop?

    [snip]

    Any reason why not CAT5 cable to the LAN port on the second laptop (skip the
    router)?

    __spc__, Nov 11, 2005