WiFi icon shows connected but actually no network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by EvitaVie, Dec 12, 2008.

  1. EvitaVie

    EvitaVie Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a laptop running Win XP with SP3 installed.

    Recently, for some reason (I still can't figure out why - MS Upgrade or
    MacAfee antivirus update or anything else), the laptop cannot connect to the
    network. When I start the laptop and login to my account, there is no error
    message and the bootup is apparently OK. At the bottom right, the icon for
    the WiFi appears connected with Excellent signal strength - everything in the
    normal way. However, when I try to browse or download emails I realise that
    there is no network connection.

    I checked for necessary services and they are running:
    - Netman
    - WZCSVC
    - Tapisrv
    - Rasman
    - Dnscache
    - Nla
    - Dhcp
    Are there any other services (including dependent services) that need to be
    started?

    At the command prompt, when I do: ipconfig /all I get no output. Also, no
    IP address is assigned (I am using dynamic IP configuration with my Broadband
    router).

    So something is quite wrong. Are there any services on which the above
    depend, not starting correctly? Please help.

    Thanks in advance,
    Christine

    EvitaVie, Dec 12, 2008

  2. EvitaVie

    Pavel A. Guest

    Unfortunately it's hard to tell from your description what's wrong.
    This may be caused by security settings.
    Check that the crypto type and key match these of your router.

    --PA

    Pavel A., Dec 12, 2008

  3. EvitaVie

    EvitaVie Guest

    Hi Pavel,

    Thanks for your reply. I checked this already. I logged in on the router
    admin (with another comp) and even changed to free access (without any key).
    Still it does not work.

    Even more to add, I also tried to connect using a Ethernet connection to the
    router (it has 4 Ethernet ports also). Though the router detected the
    Ethernet connection (update on admin panel), my laptop could not detect it.

    So maybe the problem is not at the bearer network level but with some
    service(s) inside the computer.

    Any help / advice in this direction would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Christine

    EvitaVie, Dec 12, 2008
  4. EvitaVie

    smlunatick Guest

    On Dec 12, 2:35 pm, EvitaVie <> wrote:
    > Hi Pavel,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I checked this already. I logged in on the router
    > admin (with another comp) and even changed to free access (without any key).
    > Still it does not work.
    >
    > Even more to add, I also tried to connect using a Ethernet connection to the
    > router (it has 4 Ethernet ports also).  Though the router detected the
    > Ethernet connection (update on admin panel), my laptop could not detect it.
    >
    > So maybe the problem is not at the bearer network level but with some
    > service(s) inside the computer.
    >
    > Any help / advice in this direction would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Christine
    >
    > "Pavel A." wrote:
    > > Unfortunately it's hard to tell from your description what's wrong.
    > > This may be caused by security settings.
    > > Check that the crypto type and key match these of your router.

    > > --PA

    > > EvitaVie wrote:
    > > > Hello all,

    > > > I have a laptop running Win XP with SP3 installed.

    > > > Recently, for some reason (I still can't figure out why - MS Upgrade or
    > > > MacAfee antivirus update or anything else), the laptop cannot connect to the
    > > > network. When I start the laptop and login to my account, there is no error
    > > > message and the bootup is apparently OK. At the bottom right, the icon for
    > > > the WiFi appears connected with Excellent signal strength - everything in the
    > > > normal way. However, when I try to browse or download emails I realise that
    > > > there is no network connection.

    > > > I checked for necessary services and they are running:
    > > > - Netman
    > > > - WZCSVC
    > > > - Tapisrv
    > > > - Rasman
    > > > - Dnscache
    > > > - Nla
    > > > - Dhcp
    > > > Are there any other services (including dependent services) that need to be
    > > > started?

    > > > At the command prompt, when I do:  ipconfig /all I get no output. Also, no
    > > > IP address is assigned (I am using dynamic IP configuration with my Broadband
    > > > router).

    > > > So something is quite wrong. Are there any services on which the above
    > > > depend, not starting correctly? Please help.

    > > > Thanks in advance,
    > > > Christine

    I also had problems with my wifi set-up. My wifi signals were great
    but I had no network or Internet access. I then tried to restart the
    wifi adapter and got network / Internet access of a few minutes before
    I lost access. I then discovered that my wifi router was getting a de-
    authentication request, which told the router to "hang up" the network
    access. Turned out my enhanced firewall software was forcing my PC
    off the wifi network. I found out that I must tell my firewall module
    to "trust" my wifi SSID before it would let my wifi network to work.

    smlunatick, Dec 12, 2008
  5. Hi
    Disable temp. the security of the Wireless in the Router and follow this
    process it.
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MS, MVP-Networking\), Dec 12, 2008
  6. EvitaVie

    Pavel A. Guest

    smlunatick wrote:
    > On Dec 12, 2:35 pm, EvitaVie <> wrote:
    >> Hi Pavel,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your reply. I checked this already. I logged in on the router
    >> admin (with another comp) and even changed to free access (without any key).
    >> Still it does not work.
    >>
    >> Even more to add, I also tried to connect using a Ethernet connection to the
    >> router (it has 4 Ethernet ports also). Though the router detected the
    >> Ethernet connection (update on admin panel), my laptop could not detect it.
    >>
    >> So maybe the problem is not at the bearer network level but with some
    >> service(s) inside the computer.
    >>
    >> Any help / advice in this direction would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Christine
    >>
    >> "Pavel A." wrote:
    >>> Unfortunately it's hard to tell from your description what's wrong.
    >>> This may be caused by security settings.
    >>> Check that the crypto type and key match these of your router.
    >>> --PA

    > I also had problems with my wifi set-up. My wifi signals were great
    > but I had no network or Internet access. I then tried to restart the
    > wifi adapter and got network / Internet access of a few minutes before
    > I lost access. I then discovered that my wifi router was getting a de-
    > authentication request, which told the router to "hang up" the network
    > access. Turned out my enhanced firewall software was forcing my PC
    > off the wifi network. I found out that I must tell my firewall module
    > to "trust" my wifi SSID before it would let my wifi network to work.

    How have you found that your router received de-auth request?
    Was it sent from your own machine?

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., Dec 14, 2008
  7. EvitaVie

    EvitaVie Guest

    Hi Jack,

    I followed all the instructions on the ezlan website, including all
    necessary checks. Where it stops is the following:
    1. The first time my laptop boots up and I login to my profile, I see the
    WLAN network connection on and soon after I get a message indicating
    excellent signal strength from my router, etc. (which is the normal scenario).
    2. Then I open the Network connections and double-click on the WLAN
    connexion (which is still indicating connected). I then go to the Support tab
    and find that there are NO IP addresses (neither for router, nor for my
    laptop). Even the MAC address field is blank.

    This is where it stops in the steps on ezlan. In addition, I right-click on
    the WLAN network icon and try to repair the connection. The pop-up message
    stating the steps of the operation finally stops at a yellow exclamation (!)
    saying connection to WLAN not possible.

    After this stage, the WLAN connection icon at the tray continues to show
    disconnected. I used WZC only all the time.

    I tried to get a connection using a wire
    line network - connecting my laptop to a Ethernet port of the router. On
    connection, the router port LED glows green indicating connection at physical
    layer. However, no connection is detected on my laptop side and the Ethernet
    network icon on the tray still shows disconnected.

    In addition, when I do ipconfig /all on the DOS command prompt, it gives NO
    result, NO output (not even any error message) and returns to the command
    prompt.

    So I am still searching in the blind, what could be the source of the
    problem. Any help suggested would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,
    Christine

    EvitaVie, Dec 16, 2008
  8. EvitaVie

    EvitaVie Guest

    Jack,

    Another thing to mention.

    Nevertheless, I tried to connect using a dialup connection and then it works
    - I can connect to the Internet, browse, download emails from a POP3 server
    or even chat (though slow).

    Thanks in advance for helping me with this issue!

    EvitaVie, Dec 16, 2008
  9. EvitaVie

    smlunatick Guest

    On Dec 14, 9:43 am, "Pavel A." <> wrote:
    > smlunatick wrote:
    > > On Dec 12, 2:35 pm, EvitaVie <> wrote:
    > >> Hi Pavel,

    > >> Thanks for your reply. I checked this already. I logged in on the router
    > >> admin (with another comp) and even changed to free access (without any key).
    > >> Still it does not work.

    > >> Even more to add, I also tried to connect using a Ethernet connection to the
    > >> router (it has 4 Ethernet ports also).  Though the router detected the
    > >> Ethernet connection (update on admin panel), my laptop could not detect it.

    > >> So maybe the problem is not at the bearer network level but with some
    > >> service(s) inside the computer.

    > >> Any help / advice in this direction would be appreciated.

    > >> Thanks in advance,
    > >> Christine

    > > I also had problems with my wifi set-up.  My wifi signals were great
    > > but I had no network or Internet access.  I then tried to restart the
    > > wifi adapter and got network / Internet access of a few minutes before
    > > I lost access.  I then discovered that my wifi router was getting a de-
    > > authentication request, which told the router to "hang up" the network
    > > access.  Turned out my enhanced firewall software was forcing my PC
    > > off the wifi network.  I found out that I must tell my firewall module
    > > to "trust" my wifi SSID before it would let my wifi network to work.

    > How have you found that your router received de-auth request?
    > Was it sent from your own machine?
    >
    > Regards,
    > --PA

    I read the router's log. I was trying to see why my wireless was not
    working and I got a recommendation to view the router's log from the
    manufacturer's support forums.

    smlunatick, Dec 16, 2008
  10. EvitaVie

    sbelgard Guest

    try resetting your winsockets.

    Go to download.com and download winsockfix. This should reset your IP address.

    sbelgard, Dec 24, 2008