    relatively new to this, so would welcome any suggestions and even good
    brands of cards and accesspoint/ routers.

    TIA

    John, Aug 19, 2004

  2. John

    JedMeister Guest

    I have a laptop & desktop PC, and an ADSL connection. This sounds similar to
    what you are considering, except I am using the laptop wirelessly and the
    desktop is via ethernet cable.

    So, I have purchased...

    1. Dick Smith ADSL Router (with 4 ethernet ports in the back). This plugs
    into the phone jack.
    2. Wi-fi access point (netgear WG602) - supports B/G.
    3. Netgear Wi-fi card for the laptop - supports B/G. (you don't need this).

    I've connected the desktop to 1 of the 4 ethernet ports in the back of the
    ADSL router.

    Plug the Wi-Fi access point into the 2nd port of the ADSL router using the
    supplied ethernet cable.

    Insert the wi-fi card into the laptop.

    Then, I can use wireless laptop anywhere in the house, and desktop works via
    ethernet.

    Your case is slightly different.
    You don't need a laptop wi-fi card as wi-fi is built in.
    But, you will require a wi-fi card for your desktop - I suppose an internal
    card would be best.

    Then, you would have your ADSL router, with the Wi-fi accesspoint plugged
    into the ethernet port at the back of the router.

    Whenever you switch on your laptop or desktop, the wi-fi network will be
    auto-detected and you can access the net.

    I find the wi-fi has trouble reactivating when the laptop returns from
    hibernation/suspension modes - but, this is no big deal for me.

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am looking at setting up a small home network between a 1GHZ Pentium 3
    > Desktop (windows2000), and a new Laptop 1.5GHz Centrino (windows XP Pro).
    > Currently the desktop only has a dialup internet connection, but I am
    > looking at either getting ADSL, or Woosh if it comes to my area soon (I am
    > currently slightly out of coverage)
    > Anyone know of any good sites, that have step by step instructions on
    > setting up a home wifi network. I have found some stuff on the net but

    some

    JedMeister, Aug 19, 2004

  3. John

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:23:12 +1200, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a laptop & desktop PC, and an ADSL connection. This sounds similar to
    >what you are considering, except I am using the laptop wirelessly and the
    >desktop is via ethernet cable.
    >
    >So, I have purchased...
    >
    >1. Dick Smith ADSL Router (with 4 ethernet ports in the back). This plugs
    >into the phone jack.
    >2. Wi-fi access point (netgear WG602) - supports B/G.
    >3. Netgear Wi-fi card for the laptop - supports B/G. (you don't need this).
    >
    >I've connected the desktop to 1 of the 4 ethernet ports in the back of the
    >ADSL router.
    >
    >Plug the Wi-Fi access point into the 2nd port of the ADSL router using the
    >supplied ethernet cable.
    >
    >Insert the wi-fi card into the laptop.
    >
    >Then, I can use wireless laptop anywhere in the house, and desktop works via
    >ethernet.
    >
    >Your case is slightly different.
    >You don't need a laptop wi-fi card as wi-fi is built in.
    >But, you will require a wi-fi card for your desktop - I suppose an internal
    >card would be best.
    >
    >Then, you would have your ADSL router, with the Wi-fi accesspoint plugged
    >into the ethernet port at the back of the router.
    >
    >Whenever you switch on your laptop or desktop, the wi-fi network will be
    >auto-detected and you can access the net.
    >
    >I find the wi-fi has trouble reactivating when the laptop returns from
    >hibernation/suspension modes - but, this is no big deal for me.

    Another option is to buy an ADSL router with an access point built in
    like the D-Link DSL-604+ which has a 4 port switch as well.

    Dogg, Aug 19, 2004
  4. John

    John B Guest

    JedMeister wrote:
    > I have a laptop & desktop PC, and an ADSL connection. This sounds
    > similar to what you are considering, except I am using the laptop
    > wirelessly and the desktop is via ethernet cable.
    >
    > So, I have purchased...
    >
    > 1. Dick Smith ADSL Router (with 4 ethernet ports in the back). This
    > plugs into the phone jack.
    > 2. Wi-fi access point (netgear WG602) - supports B/G.
    > 3. Netgear Wi-fi card for the laptop - supports B/G. (you don't need
    > this).
    >
    > I've connected the desktop to 1 of the 4 ethernet ports in the back
    > of the ADSL router.
    >
    > Plug the Wi-Fi access point into the 2nd port of the ADSL router
    > using the supplied ethernet cable.
    >
    > Insert the wi-fi card into the laptop.
    >
    > Then, I can use wireless laptop anywhere in the house, and desktop
    > works via ethernet.
    >
    > Your case is slightly different.
    > You don't need a laptop wi-fi card as wi-fi is built in.
    > But, you will require a wi-fi card for your desktop - I suppose an
    > internal card would be best.
    >
    > Then, you would have your ADSL router, with the Wi-fi accesspoint
    > plugged into the ethernet port at the back of the router.
    >
    > Whenever you switch on your laptop or desktop, the wi-fi network will
    > be auto-detected and you can access the net.
    >
    > I find the wi-fi has trouble reactivating when the laptop returns from
    > hibernation/suspension modes - but, this is no big deal for me.
    >

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am looking at setting up a small home network between a 1GHZ
    >> Pentium 3 Desktop (windows2000), and a new Laptop 1.5GHz Centrino
    >> (windows XP Pro). Currently the desktop only has a dialup internet
    >> connection, but I am looking at either getting ADSL, or Woosh if it
    >> comes to my area soon (I am currently slightly out of coverage)
    >> Anyone know of any good sites, that have step by step instructions
    >> on setting up a home wifi network. I have found some stuff on the
    >> net but some of it was quite difficult to understand.
    >> I know that I will need an Accesspoint/Router, and the laptop has a
    >> wifi card in it, either a G, or a B/G card. I will need a PCI wifi
    >> card for the desktop, or can I get a router that fits directly into
    >> the PC? I am relatively new to this, so would welcome any
    >> suggestions and even good brands of cards and accesspoint/ routers.
    >>
    >> TIA

    I just bought a US Robotics SureConnect ADSL Wireless Gateway. Works great.
    Wife's laptop wireless. My pc ethernet. $392 Dick Smith. Highly recommended.

    --
    John B

    John B, Aug 19, 2004
  5. John

    John Guest

    "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    > I have a laptop & desktop PC, and an ADSL connection. This sounds similar

    > what you are considering, except I am using the laptop wirelessly and the
    > desktop is via ethernet cable.
    >
    > So, I have purchased...
    >
    > 1. Dick Smith ADSL Router (with 4 ethernet ports in the back). This plugs
    > into the phone jack.
    > 2. Wi-fi access point (netgear WG602) - supports B/G.
    > 3. Netgear Wi-fi card for the laptop - supports B/G. (you don't need

    this).

    > I've connected the desktop to 1 of the 4 ethernet ports in the back of the
    > ADSL router.
    >
    > Plug the Wi-Fi access point into the 2nd port of the ADSL router using the
    > supplied ethernet cable.
    >
    > Insert the wi-fi card into the laptop.
    >
    > Then, I can use wireless laptop anywhere in the house, and desktop works

    via
    > ethernet.
    >
    > Your case is slightly different.
    > You don't need a laptop wi-fi card as wi-fi is built in.
    > But, you will require a wi-fi card for your desktop - I suppose an

    internal
    > card would be best.
    >
    > Then, you would have your ADSL router, with the Wi-fi accesspoint plugged
    > into the ethernet port at the back of the router.
    >
    > Whenever you switch on your laptop or desktop, the wi-fi network will be
    > auto-detected and you can access the net.
    >
    > I find the wi-fi has trouble reactivating when the laptop returns from
    > hibernation/suspension modes - but, this is no big deal for me.
    >

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am looking at setting up a small home network between a 1GHZ Pentium 3
    > > Desktop (windows2000), and a new Laptop 1.5GHz Centrino (windows XP

    Pro).
    > > Currently the desktop only has a dialup internet connection, but I am
    > > looking at either getting ADSL, or Woosh if it comes to my area soon (I

    am
    > > currently slightly out of coverage)
    > > Anyone know of any good sites, that have step by step instructions on
    > > setting up a home wifi network. I have found some stuff on the net but

    > some
    > > of it was quite difficult to understand.
    > > I know that I will need an Accesspoint/Router, and the laptop has a

    wifi
    > > card in it, either a G, or a B/G card. I will need a PCI wifi card for

    the
    > > desktop, or can I get a router that fits directly into the PC? I am
    > > relatively new to this, so would welcome any suggestions and even good
    > > brands of cards and accesspoint/ routers.
    > >
    > > TIA

    Thanks for that info, very useful.

    John, Aug 19, 2004
  6. John

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:17:09 +1200, John wrote:

    > Anyone know of any good sites, that have step by step instructions on
    > setting up a home wifi network. I have found some stuff on the net but some
    > of it was quite difficult to understand.

    Okay, so when you get it working, write it all down on a web page or two
    and let us know where it is.

    This assumes you want to help others, now that you need help.

    Gordon, Aug 19, 2004
  7. John

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Gordon <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:17:09 +1200, John wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know of any good sites, that have step by step instructions on
    >> setting up a home wifi network. I have found some stuff on the net
    >> but some of it was quite difficult to understand.

    > Okay, so when you get it working, write it all down on a web page or
    > two and let us know where it is.
    >
    > This assumes you want to help others, now that you need help.

    Ars Technica has a guide on securing the setup. Hookup is in the manuals
    that come with the products. Some manufacturer web sites also have quick
    guides. Dlink has some quick setup guides.
    Pretend you have bought a product, then search for some setup guides on
    the manufacturer's web site.
    Keep it simple, make it go, then lock it down as much as you can.
    The Ars guide is here:
    http://arstechnica.com/paedia/w/wireless-security-howto/home-802.11b-
    1.html

    URl wrapped, you can fix it.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 19, 2004
  8. John

    Nik Coughin Guest

    John wrote:
    > but I am looking at either getting ADSL, or Woosh if it
    > comes to my area soon (I am currently slightly out of coverage)

    Where are you? Woosh sent me an email recently saying that I can now roam
    with my modem almost as far north as Warkworth and past Pukehohe in the
    south. The new coverage radius is the same for Wellington, Christchurch and
    Invercargill as well (50km).

    Nik Coughin, Aug 19, 2004
  9. John

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Dave Taylor <> wrote in

    >> This assumes you want to help others, now that you need help.

    Found this too:
    http://www.homenethelp.com/

    Dave Taylor, Aug 19, 2004
  10. John

    John Guest

    "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message
    > John wrote:
    > > but I am looking at either getting ADSL, or Woosh if it
    > > comes to my area soon (I am currently slightly out of coverage)

    > Where are you? Woosh sent me an email recently saying that I can now roam
    > with my modem almost as far north as Warkworth and past Pukehohe in the
    > south. The new coverage radius is the same for Wellington, Christchurch

    and
    > Invercargill as well (50km).

    I'm in Upper Hutt, and have entered my address on their website, and it did
    say that it wasn't avaliable yet.

    John, Aug 20, 2004
  11. John

    EMB Guest

    John wrote:
    > "Nik Coughin" <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote in message

    >>Where are you? Woosh sent me an email recently saying that I can now roam
    >>with my modem almost as far north as Warkworth and past Pukehohe in the
    >>south. The new coverage radius is the same for Wellington, Christchurch

    > and Invercargill as well (50km).

    > I'm in Upper Hutt, and have entered my address on their website, and it did
    > say that it wasn't avaliable yet.

    Their coverage lookup function is useless - they say that my house in
    Onehunga doesn't get coverage, but the reality is that with their
    booster antenna it works fine - buy it from DSE, take it home and try
    it, and if it doesn't work get your money back.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, Aug 20, 2004