    How can I connect a router or hub so I can use this connection to network to
    another computer?
    Preferably a wireless router
    hunty, Jan 7, 2007

  2. hunty

    JANA Guest

    You need a wireless router. It is possible to have a complete home network
    using wireless. Your dealer can help you with how to get the details of
    this, if he is a good one.

    Do a Google search in how to set up a wireless home network. There is a lot
    of information out there.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    "hunty" <> wrote in message
    I have a wifi connection to my computer
    It is like this
    -gri antenna to lmr cable to pigtail then to gold card in a slot
    The slot is on a pci card in the back of my computer
    My question is:
    JANA, Jan 7, 2007

  3. hunty

    hunty Guest

    I know how to hook up a wifi router
    But they use cat 5 cables
    I have lmr 400 cable to a pigtail then a gold card
    thanks

    hunty, Jan 7, 2007
  4. hunty

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-01-07, hunty <> wrote:
    > I have a wifi connection to my computer
    > It is like this
    > -gri antenna to lmr cable to pigtail then to gold card in a slot
    > The slot is on a pci card in the back of my computer
    > My question is:
    > How can I connect a router or hub so I can use this connection to network to
    > another computer?
    > Preferably a wireless router

    Have you got a wireless router? Have you read the instruction book for
    it? Has the other computer also got a wireless card built in or installed
    or attached to it somehow? Are all those things built to use the same
    technology standard? ("802.11g" or "802.11b" are the normal standards for
    home and small office stuff, at present).

    If you have two computers both equipped with compatible wireless
    equipment, you may be able to set up an "ad hoc" network between them
    without using any sort of router. The operating system(s) will probably
    have tools for that, or instructions, or both.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 7, 2007
  5. hunty

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-01-07, hunty <> wrote:
    > "JANA" <> wrote in message
    >> "hunty" <> wrote in message

    snip

    > I know how to hook up a wifi router
    > But they use cat 5 cables
    > I have lmr 400 cable to a pigtail then a gold card
    > thanks

    You may need to connect one of your computers temporarily to the wireless
    router using an ethernet cable ("cat 5" or better - that's a measure of
    the characteristics of the actual cable, not a connection type) to get the
    initial configuration of the router done. After that you can use wireless
    connections throughout your network, if you want to. Some wireless
    routers may exist that can be set up from scratch via a wireless
    connection, but that is an inherently insecure arrangement so it isn't a
    good idea.

    Ethernet cards for PCI slots are pretty cheap these days. Laptops
    generally have an ethernet card built in.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jan 7, 2007
  6. hunty

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 11:56:50 -0600, "hunty" <>
    wrote:

    >I know how to hook up a wifi router
    >But they use cat 5 cables
    >I have lmr 400 cable to a pigtail then a gold card

    Where does your internet come from? Cable? DSL?

    Put that into the WAN port on your WiFi router.
    Evan Platt, Jan 7, 2007
  7. hunty

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 10:56:12 -0600, "hunty" <>
    wrote:

    >I have a wifi connection to my computer
    >It is like this
    >-gri antenna to lmr cable to pigtail then to gold card in a slot
    >The slot is on a pci card in the back of my computer
    >My question is:
    >How can I connect a router or hub so I can use this connection to network to
    >another computer?
    >Preferably a wireless router

    I don't what a "gold card" is, but if you mean a PCI wireless adaptor
    then you can do this: (assuming you also have a hardwired network
    adaptor)

    Go to Network Connections in the control panel and highlight both
    adaptors. Right click and select "bridge connections". Your
    hardwired port will now be able to connect another computer to the
    network the WiFi is on (with a crossover cable) otherwise plug it into
    a switch.

    --

    -Graham

    (delete the double e's to email)
    G. Morgan, Jan 7, 2007
  8. hunty

    hunty Guest

    I think you have the right idea G.Morgan
    My internet connection is to a wlan through the grid antenna
    Would I be able to connect a wireless router to the 10/100 plug and make my
    own network

    Thanks

    hunty, Jan 7, 2007
  9. hunty

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 14:35:09 -0600, "hunty" <>
    wrote:

    >I think you have the right idea G.Morgan
    >My internet connection is to a wlan through the grid antenna
    >Would I be able to connect a wireless router to the 10/100 plug and make my
    >own network

    Sure, plug the jack from your PC into the WAN jack of the router. Make
    sure you have no IP conflicts on the LAN and configure the router to
    the DNS of the ISP ( or a public one ). Also make sure the connected
    PC's are using your router for the gateway.

    G. Morgan, Jan 7, 2007