WiFi Connection Delivered To Ethernet Port?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by PeteCresswell, Feb 6, 2009.

  1. I tried this in comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip, but haven't
    gotten
    any responses.
    Got a box that understands Ethernet, but doesn't do USB.

    What I'm looking for is a device that delivers a WiFi connection
    to an Ethernet receptacle instead of a USB port.

    To Wit:
    http://tinyurl.com/cz3c25 seems to do it but it reads like they
    come in pairs.

    OTOH, I've already got one of these puppies:
    http://tinyurl.com/3utbs4 so the first choice would be a remote
    unit that connected with it and delivered the connection via an
    Ethernet cable.

    The brass ring would be it's not needing a separate power brick
    (i.e. getting it's power from the Ethernet plug). Not a must,
    but a strong nice-to-have.

    The box in question is a SageTV HD200 "Media Extender". Think
    remote access to a Tivo. I'm hearing that a full HD stream is
    about 20mbps... so it seems like there sb an alternative to
    pulling cable for at least one TV in the house.
    PeteCresswell, Feb 6, 2009

  2. PeteCresswell

    David B. Guest

    Actually what you want would be something like this, it's designed to
    connect a standard networkable device to an existing wireless network, used
    for XBoxes and such.
    http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G820-Wireless-Adapter-802-11g/dp/B0002MH3HE

    Not likely your going to find a device without a power supply, getting power
    over ethernet is called POE, and AFAIK you can't get power from a network
    card in a device like that, but I could be wrong.

    David B., Feb 6, 2009

  3. On Feb 6, 10:58 am, "David B." <> wrote:
    > Actually what you want would be something like this, it's designed to
    > connect a standard networkable device to an existing wireless network, used
    > for XBoxes and such.http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G820-Wireless-Adapter-802-11g/dp/B00...
    >
    > Not likely your going to find a device without a power supply, getting power
    > over ethernet is called POE, and AFAIK you can't get power from a network
    > card in a device like that, but I could be wrong.

    Thanks! Sounds like the term-of-art is "Wireless Gaming Adapter".

    Unless something comes up in the next day or two, I think I'll try one
    of these:
    http://tinyurl.com/d8g6lk (" LINKSYS WGA600N IEEE 802.11a/b/g,
    IEEE802.11n Draft Ethernet Port Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter")

    Same brand; they seem to claim the same "N" standard: "Draft 2.0"....
    maybe I'll get lucky... -)
    PeteCresswell, Feb 6, 2009
  4. PeteCresswell

    Doug Guest

    PeteCresswell wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 10:58 am, "David B." <> wrote:
    >> Actually what you want would be something like this, it's designed to
    >> connect a standard networkable device to an existing wireless network, used
    >> for XBoxes and such.http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DWL-G820-Wireless-Adapter-802-11g/dp/B00...

    Once upon a time hotels that had installed Wi-Fi loaned such devices to
    guests whose PCs only used Ethernet. Several hotels told me it was
    called a bridge, but I'm not sure that's correct.
    Doug, Feb 7, 2009
  5. Per PeteCresswell:

    >Thanks! Sounds like the term-of-art is "Wireless Gaming Adapter".
    >
    >Unless something comes up in the next day or two, I think I'll try one
    >of these:
    >http://tinyurl.com/d8g6lk (" LINKSYS WGA600N IEEE 802.11a/b/g,
    >IEEE802.11n Draft Ethernet Port Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter")
    >
    >Same brand; they seem to claim the same "N" standard: "Draft 2.0"....
    >maybe I'll get lucky... -)

    FWIW, I went with D-Link's DAP-1522 and it's been working several
    weeks now with zero problems.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Feb 21, 2009