WiFi card disconnects on logout (XP SP2)

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rick Jones, May 24, 2005.

  1. Rick Jones

    Rick Jones Guest

    I have a strange problem withe one machine, in that when I logout of
    Windows, the wireless link disconnects.

    I have 3 machines running XP SP2, with the same 802.11g PCI cards, same
    drivers and configurations etc. Only one of the machines behaves like this,
    but I can't work out what is different. The cards are TI-based (Safecom
    brand), using the TNET1130 driver, and Windows config enabled. 40-bit WEP is
    turned on.

    Monitoring the DHCP server, it actually seems to continually try to refresh
    its lease when logged out, but when logged in it's fine, and the signal
    strength reports as "good". The event log confirms DHCP renew attempts, but
    they repeatedly fail until someone logs in.

    It can be logged in as any user and works OK, just goes daft when there is
    no-one logged in.

    Apart from network shares not being available if logged out, the machines
    are on a domain and using roaming profiles, so this behaviour means that
    this one machine will either fail to authenticate, or fail to get the
    profile if it does. If I switch to a wired link it works fine. The other
    machines maintain their connections, and login fine over wireless.

    Any ideas?

    --
    Rick Jones
    www.activeservice.co.uk

    Rick Jones, May 24, 2005

  2. Rick Jones

    NewPort Guest

    Try using the windows utility, not the one from the card

    NewPort, May 24, 2005

  3. Rick Jones

    Rick Jones Guest

    Thanks, but I'm doing just that. Windows wireless config is enabled, and
    managing the card (same on all machines). The card's utility is not even
    installed, just the plain drivers.

    --
    Rick Jones
    www.activeservice.co.uk

    Rick Jones, May 24, 2005
  4. Rick Jones

    atec Guest

    Rick Jones wrote:
    > Thanks, but I'm doing just that. Windows wireless config is enabled, and
    > managing the card (same on all machines). The card's utility is not even
    > installed, just the plain drivers.

    check that the power down is not activated /energy saving .

    atec, May 24, 2005