Wifi can't make connection after hibernation

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John Boy, Oct 26, 2004.

  1. John Boy

    John Boy Guest

    Is it just me.. or do other people also have
    problems.

    I've got a WAG54G LinkSys WiFi router..and
    a new Toshiba A2 Wifi notebook (XP SP1). Often after
    the notebook comes out of hibernation/standby
    I have to turn the router OFF and back On to
    kick start WiFi again.. I could play around with
    the notebook for hours trying to restart WiFi..but
    the only solution I've found is to turn the *Router* OFF
    and back on.. Until then the Notebook says No
    Network Signal. This is really a pain considering
    the router is in a hard to reach location.
    LinkSys tech support don't think its a problem with
    the router.. I'm not so sure.. anyone else seen this
    problem ?

    Any ideas ?
    John Boy, Oct 26, 2004

  2. John Boy wrote:
    > Is it just me.. or do other people also have
    > problems.

    > I've got a WAG54G LinkSys WiFi router..

    > LinkSys tech support don't think its a problem with
    > the router.. I'm not so sure.. anyone else seen this
    > problem ?

    I have the same problem with the same router, but it comes up after 2
    mins or so, sometimes as little as 20 seconds, but usually 2 mins.
    I have a dlink card in my machine.

    Im "fixing" it by getting another AP, as it doesnt seem to drop
    connection then.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 26, 2004

  3. John Boy

    John Boy Guest

    > John Boy wrote:
    >
    > I have the same problem with the same router, but it comes up after 2
    > mins or so, sometimes as little as 20 seconds, but usually 2 mins.
    > I have a dlink card in my machine.
    >
    > Im "fixing" it by getting another AP, as it doesnt seem to drop
    > connection then.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall

    Mine does that also..when first connecting after power up.
    The connection goes up and down a few times before
    becoming stable.

    But when it doesn't work as I described.. it never comes
    back even if I wait 1 hour.

    I've tried both Windows ZeroConfig and the WiFiConfig
    software that comes with the Toshiba notebook.

    When it works(WiFi) its 100% stable.. its just gettting
    the connection is the problem.
    John Boy, Oct 26, 2004
  4. "John Boy" <> wrote in message

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> John Boy wrote:
    >>
    >> I have the same problem with the same router, but it comes up after 2
    >> mins or so, sometimes as little as 20 seconds, but usually 2 mins.
    >> I have a dlink card in my machine.
    >>
    >> Im "fixing" it by getting another AP, as it doesnt seem to drop
    >> connection then.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave Hall

    > Mine does that also..when first connecting after power up.
    > The connection goes up and down a few times before
    > becoming stable.
    >
    > But when it doesn't work as I described.. it never comes
    > back even if I wait 1 hour.
    >
    > I've tried both Windows ZeroConfig and the WiFiConfig
    > software that comes with the Toshiba notebook.
    >
    > When it works(WiFi) its 100% stable.. its just gettting
    > the connection is the problem.

    My netgear card / access point combo does something similar...after coming
    out of hibernation, the laptop cannot connect to the network at all.

    To fix, I just restart the netgear connection utility on the laptop and it
    seems to pick up the connection again. But, this pisses me off, and the
    girlfriend can't work this out.
    Jed Meisterdude, Oct 27, 2004
  5. John Boy

    John Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:23:01 +1300, "John Boy"
    <> wrote:

    >LinkSys tech support don't think its a problem with
    >the router..

    Correct, if you where talking to someone and they went to sleep,
    wouldn't you cease to communicate with them?

    We use to have managers phone up who had used standby and phone up
    that they couldnt see the network... they need to log off/ back on to
    reconnect to the server...
    Ditto for your wifi connection, you need to reestablish it from the
    notebook end...
    How can your wifi device remain connected to a device that is
    essencialy turned off?
    John, Oct 27, 2004
  6. John Boy

    John Boy Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:23:01 +1300, "John Boy"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > We use to have managers phone up who had used standby and phone up
    > that they couldnt see the network... they need to log off/ back on to
    > reconnect to the server...
    > Ditto for your wifi connection, you need to reestablish it from the
    > notebook end...
    > How can your wifi device remain connected to a device that is
    > essencialy turned off?

    Thanks.. but give me some credit.. I've done all that.. logging out
    turning the computer OFF.. stopping the software and reseting
    ETC ETC ETC... nothing kicks it back to life until I restart
    the LinkSys router .

    It doesn't need to remain connected.. it just needs to "reconnect"
    when the notebook becomes active again.

    I don't know why this is happening.
    John Boy, Oct 28, 2004