    In the morning, I find I am connected even though I did nothing.
    Is there any way I can find out what is causing the connection?

    Windows vista premium.
    richard, Dec 19, 2007

  2. richard

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:22:43 -0500, richard wrote:

    >Several times now I know for a fact that when I go to bed, I have
    >totally disconnected from the router.

    Disconnected how?

    >In the morning, I find I am connected even though I did nothing.

    You did nothing, oh well must mean you didn't turn off router and/or PC.

    >Is there any way I can find out what is causing the connection?

    Why bother?

    Event log?

    >Windows vista premium.

    Oops. Maybe you left a PC on and it's decided to reconnect all on it's
    own.

    Me
    why?, Dec 19, 2007

  3. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-12-19, richard <> wrote:
    > Several times now I know for a fact that when I go to bed, I have
    > totally disconnected from the router.
    > In the morning, I find I am connected even though I did nothing.
    > Is there any way I can find out what is causing the connection?
    >
    > Windows vista premium.

    How do you "totally disconnect from the router"? Turning off the wireless
    card on the computer should do it, as should turning off the computer
    (and/or the router) of course.

    Have you got any software set up to 'connect' if it can't find an existing
    connection when it tries to do some scheduled task? Email springs to
    mind, as do any of the 'automatic update' facilities you might have
    installed.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 19, 2007
  4. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:47:40 +0000, Whiskers
    <> wrote:

    >On 2007-12-19, richard <> wrote:
    >> Several times now I know for a fact that when I go to bed, I have
    >> totally disconnected from the router.
    >> In the morning, I find I am connected even though I did nothing.
    >> Is there any way I can find out what is causing the connection?
    >>
    >> Windows vista premium.

    >How do you "totally disconnect from the router"? Turning off the wireless
    >card on the computer should do it, as should turning off the computer
    >(and/or the router) of course.
    >
    >Have you got any software set up to 'connect' if it can't find an existing
    >connection when it tries to do some scheduled task? Email springs to
    >mind, as do any of the 'automatic update' facilities you might have
    >installed.

    It is not MY router. I am in a motel that operates it.
    I have some software that may automatically search for updates even
    though I have it turned off. Like the "real player" does.
    I always shut off auto updates.
    But every night?

    I just want to know if there is a way to find out for a fact which
    program it is trying to connect.

    Next time I disconnect, the antenna will get unplugged as well.
    richard, Dec 19, 2007
  5. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:35:42 GMT, why?

    >On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:22:43 -0500, richard wrote:
    >
    >>Several times now I know for a fact that when I go to bed, I have
    >>totally disconnected from the router.

    >Disconnected how?
    >
    >>In the morning, I find I am connected even though I did nothing.

    >You did nothing, oh well must mean you didn't turn off router and/or PC.

    Can not turn off router. Motel won't like that.

    >>Is there any way I can find out what is causing the connection?

    >Why bother?
    >
    >Event log?

    Found a few items listed for when I was asleep, but saw nothing that
    would suggest a connection being made.

    richard, Dec 19, 2007
  6. richard

    Lookout Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:35:26 -0500, richard <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:35:42 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:22:43 -0500, richard wrote:
    >>
    >>>Several times now I know for a fact that when I go to bed, I have
    >>>totally disconnected from the router.

    >>Disconnected how?
    >>
    >>>In the morning, I find I am connected even though I did nothing.

    >>You did nothing, oh well must mean you didn't turn off router and/or PC.
    >>

    >Can not turn off router. Motel won't like that.
    >
    >>>Is there any way I can find out what is causing the connection?

    >>Why bother?
    >>
    >>Event log?

    >Found a few items listed for when I was asleep, but saw nothing that
    >would suggest a connection being made.

    Updates for virus checker?

    Lookout, Dec 19, 2007
  7. richard

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:47:37 -0600, Lookout <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:35:26 -0500, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:35:42 GMT, why?
    >><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >>>Disconnected how?

    >>>You did nothing, oh well must mean you didn't turn off router and/or PC.
    >>>

    >>Can not turn off router. Motel won't like that.

    >>>Why bother?
    >>>
    >>>Event log?

    >>Found a few items listed for when I was asleep, but saw nothing that
    >>would suggest a connection being made.
    >>

    >Updates for virus checker?

    Could be. Found windows defender was set to scan at 0200 daily so it
    may be checking for updates. Reset it to weekly.
    richard, Dec 19, 2007
  8. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:30:16 -0500, richard <> wrote:

    >I have some software that may automatically search for updates even
    >though I have it turned off. Like the "real player" does.
    >I always shut off auto updates.
    >But every night?

    Possibly.

    >I just want to know if there is a way to find out for a fact which
    >program it is trying to connect.

    Install a firewall which does application blocking. In the morning,
    you'll see alerts that "Such and such" program is trying to access the
    internet.

    >Next time I disconnect, the antenna will get unplugged as well.

    Why not simply disable your wireless device?
    Evan Platt, Dec 19, 2007
  9. richard

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:35:26 -0500, richard wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:35:42 GMT, why?
    >

    >>On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 08:22:43 -0500, richard wrote:
    >>
    >>>Several times now I know for a fact that when I go to bed, I have
    >>>totally disconnected from the router.

    >>Disconnected how?
    >>
    >>>In the morning, I find I am connected even though I did nothing.

    >>You did nothing, oh well must mean you didn't turn off router and/or PC.
    >>

    >Can not turn off router. Motel won't like that.

    So it's not yours, fine.

    >>>Is there any way I can find out what is causing the connection?

    If it's your PC just turn it (PC) off.

    AV / AV updates
    Windows Updates
    Any apps left running updates.

    In previous posts from 24HSHD

    CurrPorts
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html
    don't know what it does for logging.

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartsniff.html
    except you run this for a short time as needed not all night.

    This is handy for logging, http traffic
    http://www.xk72.com/charles/
    except you have to change all apps like AV updaters / browsers to use
    this as a proxy, otherwise anything going direct won't be logged.

    Most AV apps (like ZA/Outpost) have a stop / disable all network traffic
    button, try that.

    Perhaps GFI
    http://www.snapfiles.com/Shareware/system/swmonitor.html

    There are file and reg monitors at www.sysinternals.com however these
    you run as needed and don't leave running for long periods. Even if you
    carefully filter stuff you can get 1000's of lines logged in a few
    seconds.

    >>Why bother?

    My FW logs connections, makes it easier to see what's going on.

    Really , why is it on?

    >>Event log?

    >Found a few items listed for when I was asleep, but saw nothing that
    >would suggest a connection being made.

    Like what?

    <snip>

    Me