    Wireless Network Connection are enabled. What does happen? Which one is
    connected? Are they both connected? Does one override the other? Thx.
    , Jul 19, 2006

  2. Hi,

    Microsoft's Cable Guy has written a nice explanation of this topic here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0405.mspx

    The information is somewhat technical. Basically, as long as both adapters
    are enabled, they are both connected at the same time.

    Assuming the wired connection is faster (more bandwidth), it will be
    preferred for all traffic, except traffic that is local to the wireless
    subnet.

    --
    Greg Lindsay [MSFT]

    no rights.

    Greg Lindsay [MSFT], Jul 20, 2006

  3. ck42

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2006
    Messages:
    3
    Andrew,

    More than likely, based upon the route settings on your system, you will continue to use your wired-side Ethernet connection since it should be setup as the lower cost metric.
    If there are any networks that are not accessible via the wired-side connection, the wireless Ethernet will be checked to see if it has access.

    Standard wireless security practice normally dictates that you do not have you wireless connection while in the office and on the bounded network...unless it's needed. I won't digress into WHY...
    ck42, Jul 20, 2006