    networks that I would assume belonged to other guests. So if I'm in a
    room and I know my neighbor also is online, can I tap into his machine
    without him knowing it? Or him tapping into mine?

    richard, Dec 11, 2007

  2. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:27:07 -0500, richard <> wrote:

    >Just being curious with this.
    >What is the limiting factor in how many users can use one router?

    Depends on the router, and depends on the routers configuration - how
    many IP's are in the DHCP pool.

    >e.g. I am in a motel with wifi access. I am assuming it is a linksys
    >router. So how many guests can the router handle? Is it based upon
    >available IP's or what?

    Available IP's and the router. Some may have a hardware limit, some
    may not. Some may be configured to only have say 100 DHCP addresses.

    >What if 100 guests were all connected to the router, each one online
    >and posting to this newsgroups? Would their IP's be shown as the same
    >one or not?

    Yes.

    >I've been in many a motel and have noted that there were other
    >networks that I would assume belonged to other guests.

    Is it a networks or a ad-hoc SSID? ad-hoc is another computer.

    >So if I'm in a room and I know my neighbor also is online, can I tap into his machine
    >without him knowing it? Or him tapping into mine?

    If a firewall is not on or misconfigured, and the operating system is
    configured such as file sharing is enabled, yes.

    Evan Platt, Dec 11, 2007

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:36:08 -0800, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:27:07 -0500, richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just being curious with this.
    >>What is the limiting factor in how many users can use one router?

    >Depends on the router, and depends on the routers configuration - how
    >many IP's are in the DHCP pool.

    That's what I figured.

    >>e.g. I am in a motel with wifi access. I am assuming it is a linksys
    >>router. So how many guests can the router handle? Is it based upon
    >>available IP's or what?

    >Available IP's and the router. Some may have a hardware limit, some
    >may not. Some may be configured to only have say 100 DHCP addresses.
    >
    >>What if 100 guests were all connected to the router, each one online
    >>and posting to this newsgroups? Would their IP's be shown as the same
    >>one or not?

    >Yes.

    So if 10 of the 100 guests were uploading kiddy porn, the IP is traced
    back to the motel, is the motel itself guilty? Then how would the
    motel know which 10 were doing it?

    >>I've been in many a motel and have noted that there were other
    >>networks that I would assume belonged to other guests.

    >Is it a networks or a ad-hoc SSID? ad-hoc is another computer.

    ad-hoc is actually for an intranet. Computer to computer.

    >>So if I'm in a room and I know my neighbor also is online, can I tap into his machine
    >>without him knowing it? Or him tapping into mine?

    >If a firewall is not on or misconfigured, and the operating system is
    >configured such as file sharing is enabled, yes.

    Thanks for the insight. I've never worked with a router so I was just
    curious if the limits could be manipulated.

    richard, Dec 11, 2007
  4. richard

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:46:43 -0500, richard <> wrote:

    >So if 10 of the 100 guests were uploading kiddy porn, the IP is traced
    >back to the motel, is the motel itself guilty? Then how would the
    >motel know which 10 were doing it?

    The motel would need to keep logs, and then they could only see the
    MAC address and the IP the computer had, unless the guests were
    required to register.

    Of course, if the connection was wired, they could see what room the
    customer was in.

    >>Is it a networks or a ad-hoc SSID? ad-hoc is another computer.

    >ad-hoc is actually for an intranet. Computer to computer.

    Uhhh that's what I said.

    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad-hoc

    Evan Platt, Dec 11, 2007
  5. richard

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, richard
    <> wrote:

    > So if 10 of the 100 guests were uploading kiddy porn, the IP is traced
    > back to the motel, is the motel itself guilty? Then how would the
    > motel know which 10 were doing it?

    How could the motel be guilty?
    Of course it is not -- the guilty person is the one doing it.
    The motel might be found (underextraordinary circumstances) to be
    negligent, but any cite against them is absurd.
    If the motel cannot identify which user was doing it, that means it
    isn't enough to identify the user. It does not mean someone has to be
    jailed for less information.

    > >>So if I'm in a room and I know my neighbor also is online, can I tap into
    > >>his machine
    > >>without him knowing it? Or him tapping into mine?

    > >If a firewall is not on or misconfigured, and the operating system is
    > >configured such as file sharing is enabled, yes.

    and holes in the OS, or tools that are able to cause the remote OS to
    launch programs or run commands that have strong permissions -- these
    are what hackers are often supposed to be using.

    Mitch, Dec 12, 2007