    it till it works for another..
    Any ideas/experiences/pitfalls?

    TIA ;-)
    Shane, Jan 8, 2007

  2. Shane

    Jeff Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Im in the market for a [cheap] wifi adapter for my lappy.
    > Being that I have nfi on the things, and I saw mentioned that a usb adapter
    > was just as good as a pcmcia card (probably less likely to get a broken
    > aerial)
    > My only (as always) stipulation is Linux compatibility, specifically of the
    > ubuntu flavour, but lets be honest and say if it works for one I'll bash at
    > it till it works for another..
    > Any ideas/experiences/pitfalls?
    >
    > TIA ;-)

    I recently put a Linksys WUSB11 on to my mini-ITX Kubuntu box, Pentium M
    CPU, 855GM chipset, so similar to many laptops.
    I'd chosen the Linksys despite it being 802.11B only as it was supposed
    to work out of the box with Ubuntu, but it turned out to be a late model
    "V4" version with a new chipset that required the use of ndiswrapper to
    get it going. Found a howto on the wiki that worked but I think it
    involved a kernel recompile - hey I just cut and pasted the sudo
    commands and they all ran, but I'm not sure what they did exactly .....

    Took a couple of hours all up to get it going, but its working fine now.

    jeff
    Jeff, Jan 9, 2007

  3. Shane

    Blue Guest

    On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 08:13:03 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > Im in the market for a [cheap] wifi adapter for my lappy.
    > Being that I have nfi on the things, and I saw mentioned that a usb adapter
    > was just as good as a pcmcia card (probably less likely to get a broken
    > aerial)
    > My only (as always) stipulation is Linux compatibility, specifically of the
    > ubuntu flavour, but lets be honest and say if it works for one I'll bash at
    > it till it works for another..
    > Any ideas/experiences/pitfalls?

    Atheros chips work well with the Madwifi driver.
    Blue, Jan 9, 2007