    Vista?

    Thanks,

    Tony D
    Tony, Aug 10, 2007

  2. Tony

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 13:10:10 -0700, Tony <> wrote:

    >I just added a second desktop in my home, and need a wireless
    >connection adapter. My router is linksys 802.11b + booster.
    >The new pc is 2 rooms away ( about 30 feet).
    >
    >1 - Can I use a usbadapter, or is a card better?

    You can use either. If you don't want to open your computer, go USB.

    >2 - Any recommendations on brand/pricing?

    Whatever suits your needs for whatever fits your budget.

    Linksys is generally a good bet, you can probably find one for around
    $30.

    >3 - Does it matter that my server is running XP and the new one is on
    >Vista?

    No.
    Evan Platt, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Tony

    Slacker Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >I just added a second desktop in my home, and need a wireless
    > connection adapter. My router is linksys 802.11b + booster.
    > The new pc is 2 rooms away ( about 30 feet).
    >
    > 1 - Can I use a usbadapter, or is a card better?
    >
    > 2 - Any recommendations on brand/pricing?
    >
    > 3 - Does it matter that my server is running XP and the new one is on
    > Vista?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tony D

    Stay with Linksys-- it's usually the top-rated brand. And if you have a
    problem getting them connect, Linksys owns the problem when you call them
    and they can't point the finger at the manufacturer of the other component.
    Also, since your router is speedboost, get the speedboost version of
    whatever you decide on. Like the previous poster said, either is fine
    depending on whether you want to open the case--- and have a spare slot.
    Slacker, Aug 10, 2007
  4. Tony

    John Holmes Guest

    Tony "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > Does it matter that my server is running XP

    XP isn't a server OS. Install 2003 or 2008 server instead, only then you'll
    have all the bells and whistles.

    --
    Your mother was a tiny-brained barbarian who farted constantly at the
    opera.
    John Holmes, Aug 10, 2007
  5. Tony

    lee houston Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >I just added a second desktop in my home, and need a wireless
    > connection adapter. My router is linksys 802.11b + booster.
    > The new pc is 2 rooms away ( about 30 feet).
    >
    > 1 - Can I use a usbadapter, or is a card better?

    Others have made good suggestions. A negative for USB
    adapter is that it's one more item and power puck to clutter
    things. However a big plus for USB is that you can move
    it around a bit to get a better signal. Sometimes the difference
    between 'no-go' and a connection is a few feet or inches,
    depending on oddities in the construction of the dwelling.
    I also echo the recommendation for Linksys.

    No matter which you choose, be sure to secure it with
    password and such. You don't want hackers coming
    thru your wireless access.

    lee
    lee houston, Aug 11, 2007
  6. Tony

    Plato Guest

    Tony wrote:

    > I just added a second desktop in my home, and need a wireless
    > connection adapter. My router is linksys 802.11b + booster.
    > The new pc is 2 rooms away ( about 30 feet).

    My son uses a USB wifi adapter to connect to the neighbors network when
    our cable is down :)

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 11, 2007
  7. Tony

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    >I just added a second desktop in my home, and need a wireless
    > connection adapter. My router is linksys 802.11b + booster.
    > The new pc is 2 rooms away ( about 30 feet).
    >
    > 1 - Can I use a usbadapter, or is a card better?
    >
    > 2 - Any recommendations on brand/pricing?
    >
    > 3 - Does it matter that my server is running XP and the new one is on
    > Vista?

    You need to post to alt.internet.wireless, email Linksys tech support, and
    post to Microsoft.Public.Windows.Vista.General at msnews.microsoft.com,
    because I have seen nothing but problems with trying to connect a wireless
    machine using Vista to a Linksys BEFW11s4 802.11b router.

    Netgear has a new firmware out for one of its wireless routers that is Vista
    compliant and Linksys may be doing the same.
    Mr. Arnold, Aug 12, 2007
  8. Tony

    -Lost Guest

    Plato's response: Plato <|@|.|>

    > Tony wrote:
    >>
    >> I just added a second desktop in my home, and need a wireless
    >> connection adapter. My router is linksys 802.11b + booster.
    >> The new pc is 2 rooms away ( about 30 feet).

    > My son uses a USB wifi adapter to connect to the neighbors network when
    > our cable is down :)

    Um... that's great and all, but has nothing to do with whether or not a USB
    WiFi card/adapter is better.

    --
    -Lost
    Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am kidding.
    -Lost, Aug 12, 2007
  9. Tony

    Tony Guest

    Thanks for all the good information