wifi ad hoc network, help card conecting to self

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by asdf, Nov 20, 2003.

  1. asdf

    asdf Guest

    Hey, yesterday i got my self a wifi card for my laptop (asus) and one for my
    desktop pci (dse).

    Now i did have a ad hoc network working for a while, but now my laptop
    dosent see the desktop, and conects to its self!

    sometimes it works for a short amout of time, but i change the setings
    (seting up a gateway ip adress) and next thing i know the laptops talking to
    its self again.

    Any ideas?

    Basicaly what i do is set a chanal the same on both cards, same ssid, and
    set them as ad hoc? is this right?

    Whats the Cheapist AP people are aware of?? and is there any 200mw AP in New
    Zealand?

    Thanks Daniel

    asdf, Nov 20, 2003

  2. asdf

    asdf Guest

    Don't worry, all sorted out now, not sure what was going on, but have it
    talking..

    It appears the DSE card puts out more power and or the asus card is more
    sensitive at receiving.

    And the DSE is eather less senstive at reseving and or the asus card puts
    out less power.

    Dose that make sense??

    Bascaly as they get further apart the dse card says its got 0% signal
    strength, will the asus card says it has 50% signal strength.

    Is it comen for the gap to be that big.. (we are only talking about a gap of
    about 20 meters in side)

    Daniel

    asdf, Nov 20, 2003