    Regards and TIA.

    Mobius
    --------
    Mobius, Apr 10, 2009

  2. Hello,

    You can use TCPView to view any active connections. It is free.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

    __________
    http://www.tompangbuddy.com
    Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
    Video Conversion Service VHS Video8 Hi8 miniDv Digital8 VHS-C S-VHS tapes to
    VCD/DVD

    TompangBuddy.Com, Apr 10, 2009

  3. Mobius

    Eric Guest

    On Apr 10, 2:08 pm, "Mobius" <> wrote:
    > Lately we have noticed that there is 'activity' on the home wifi connection
    > of one of our WindowsXP Pro SP3 laptops even when no one is using the
    > machine.
    >
    > One can see the wifi tray icon lit up every now and then for several seconds
    > at a time.
    >
    > Is there a way to check what is going on and/or passing through?
    >
    > We did open up Task Manager but the only 'activity' noticed was in "System
    > Idle Process".
    >
    > Regards and TIA.
    >
    > Mobius
    > --------

    How to track an intruder that logged into my wifi network? -

    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090407134608AAlyf51

    Eric,
    PC Buyer Beware!
    http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/
    Eric, Apr 10, 2009
  4. Mobius

    nass Guest

    "Mobius" wrote:

    > Lately we have noticed that there is 'activity' on the home wifi connection
    > of one of our WindowsXP Pro SP3 laptops even when no one is using the
    > machine.
    >
    > One can see the wifi tray icon lit up every now and then for several seconds
    > at a time.
    >
    > Is there a way to check what is going on and/or passing through?
    >
    > We did open up Task Manager but the only 'activity' noticed was in "System
    > Idle Process".
    >
    > Regards and TIA.
    >
    > Mobius
    > --------

    Hi,
    It is normal to blinks that often, becuase the PC talking to the Wireless
    Modem/Router, also some WiFi or wireless devices can talk to your W
    Modem/Router. But if your Wifi is secured then there is no need to worry as
    this Normal.
    If your Wireless Network not secured then you need to get it secured.
    Making your Wireless Home Network More Secure
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309369

    How to protect your wireless network
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/security/wireless.mspx

    What are the different wireless network security methods?
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/b385cc8a-af25-489e-a82e-decf6df26b681033.mspx

    Note, you can configure your Modem/Router to save the log and you can look
    at it to see the traffics.
    HTH,
    nass
    --
    http://www.nasstec.co.uk
    nass, Apr 10, 2009
  5. Mobius

    deerslayer Guest

    The router is probably polling the laptop to make sure the connection is
    still active. The laptop is responding that it is still an active part of
    the network. This is normal. You say the laptop is idle. Are there any
    applications running such as a browser? If so, it is also possible the
    browser could have an active page open which is being periodically
    refreshed. Does the laptop have a connection to a network printer? Same
    thing. It could be constantly verfying that connection. I doubt anything
    has hijacked your network but you can use any of several free applications
    to monitor wireless traffic on your home network just to make sure.

    deerslayer, Apr 10, 2009
  6. Mobius

    nass Guest

    And don't forget the Apps that looking for updates/definitions by pinging
    home!!!

    nass, Apr 10, 2009
  7. Mobius

    Pavel A. Guest

    Can it be the Windows Update?
    --pa

    Pavel A., Apr 10, 2009
  8. Mobius

    Edify Guest

    On Apr 10, 8:08 am, "Mobius" <> wrote:

    “Lately we have noticed that there is 'activity' on the home wifi
    connection
    > of one of our WindowsXP Pro SP3 laptops even when no one is using the
    > machine.”

    Some suggestions:
    1) Ensure that you are not broadcasting a SSID
    2) Make sure only authorized users have access by account (you set up
    in admin)
    3) Wireless encryption is turned on (best available/supported)
    Some concerns:
    1) Conficker has awaken and is working it’s black magic, it makes
    connections in the background and downloads and installs programs that
    include key loggers and other spyware that traffic information to and
    from your system.
    2) Make sure your virus prog and firewall are up-to-date and
    uncompromised.
    Edify, Apr 10, 2009
  9. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    My response at bottom:
    "Mobius" <> wrote in message
    > Lately we have noticed that there is 'activity' on the home wifi
    > connection
    > of one of our WindowsXP Pro SP3 laptops even when no one is using the
    > machine.
    >
    > One can see the wifi tray icon lit up every now and then for several
    > seconds
    > at a time.
    >
    > Is there a way to check what is going on and/or passing through?
    >
    > We did open up Task Manager but the only 'activity' noticed was in "System
    > Idle Process".
    >
    > Regards and TIA.
    >
    > Mobius
    > --------

    Thanks for the very useful information and tips. We are following up on them
    as quick as possible.
    Regards and thanks again.
    Mobius
    --------
    Mobius, Apr 11, 2009
  10. Mobius

    Linea Recta Guest

    "TompangBuddy.Com" <> schreef in bericht
    > Hello,
    >
    > You can use TCPView to view any active connections. It is free.
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

    Very nice! At last I can get some idea what's going on on my network (Vista
    & Windows 2000).

    --
    regards,

    |\ /|