    can connect all my computers to this device through cat 5.

    Please suggest me as I am out of ideas.

    Thanx

    =?Utf-8?B?TmVv?=, Feb 20, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TmVv?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    The solution entails buying a Group Bridge (which is basically a Driverless
    Wireless client).

    You plug the Bridge and the computers (via cable) to a switch configure and
    done.

    However the price of a Group Bridge Switch and cables will be more than then
    to buy 3 Wireless cards on sale.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Neo" <> wrote in message
    > Ok..I need some help. I have a cable modem connected to my microsoft

    wireless
    > router in my basement. Its a stand alone router as I don't have any

    computer
    > in my basement. I have 3 computers in my study and I cannot run the wire

    from
    > basement.
    >
    > How can I connect all 3 computers to internet without making a investment

    on
    > buying wireless network card for all computers. Is there anything that I

    can
    > hook it up in my study and it is connected with my wireless device and

    then I

    Jack, Feb 20, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TmVv?=

    DLink Guru Guest

    Actually all you need to do is buy a simple Hub to wire your 4 computers in
    your study together and a Wireless AP that be used to bridge your Wireless
    router and your LAN together. But I would say it would be alot easier to
    just go buy 4 USB Nics for about $35.00 ea and set it up.

    Robert.....

    DLink Guru, Feb 20, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TmVv?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    "DLink Guru" <> wrote in message
    > Actually all you need to do is buy a simple Hub to wire your 4 computers

    in
    > your study together and a Wireless AP that be used to bridge your Wireless
    > router and your LAN together. But I would say it would be alot easier to
    > just go buy 4 USB Nics for about $35.00 ea and set it up.

    In order to avoid confusion, I wonder in what way the above is different
    from my early post?

    1. It almost impossible to find Hubs any more, and when you find one it
    cost the same as a switch and I am sure that you are aware that Switch is
    better than Hub.

    2. An Access Point that can be configured as a Client is the same as Group
    Bridge, and prices are the same.

    3. USB Wireless Client (with is the right name for USB NICs) can be found on
    sales for $20 per unit.

    If you have to pay $35 per USB you probably better of with Switch and a
    Group Bridge (or Client Access Point).

    Why?

    Using Switch and CAT5e (network cable) the LAN traffic would be on a "Speed"
    of 100Mb/sec. Using Wireless Clients on all computers will restricted LAN
    traffic to what ever the Wireless is Capable (which is less than wired
    Network).

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 20, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TmVv?=

    DLink Guru Guest

    Why does it confuse you, I never said my post was better and I dont have to
    not post just because you already did.

    I dont know where you shop that Hubs are hard to find, My local Fry's has
    only about 200 actual HUBs on the shelf. A switch is no better then a HUB in
    a small home network and could have some confusing options to people who
    have no experience in networking.

    I gave him the easiest solution for someone who has no or little experience
    in networking and wanting to keep his setup the way he has it, IMHO.

    To me, and this shows how inexperienced or stubborn the OP is, the easiest
    solution is to move the modem and router into the study and wire a HUB to
    the router. There has to be a phone line there.

    As for the USB NICs price, I was giving worst price. If you goto the store
    and find what you are looking for at a $20.00 price and refuse to buy it
    because some one on the internet said it should cost $35.00, well let me
    wipe the drool from your face and put your helmet back on.

    Robert...

    DLink Guru, Feb 20, 2005