Wierd Routing Issue

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Jono, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. Jono

    Jono Guest

    SIP to SIP calls = fine

    SIP to PSTN calls = fine

    18866 Prefix on BT line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine

    Telewest line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine

    Orange to my Geographic VOIP number = "number not in use"

    BT to my Geographic VOIP number = Dead tone

    Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP supplier, or BT?
     
    Jono, Sep 26, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jono

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    news:4VWZe.116089$

    [snip]

    > Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP
    > supplier, or BT?


    Which VoIP provider is it..?

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Sep 26, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    || "Jono" <> wrote in message
    || news:4VWZe.116089$
    ||
    || [snip]
    ||
    ||| Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP
    ||| supplier, or BT?
    ||
    || Which VoIP provider is it..?
    ||
    || Ivor

    ....hmm

    I didn't want my post hijacking!

    It's Sipgate.
     
    Jono, Sep 26, 2005
    #3
  4. Jono

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    news:KbXZe.116101$
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > > > "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > > > news:4VWZe.116089$
    > > >
    > > > [snip]
    > > >
    > > > > Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP
    > > > > supplier, or BT?
    > > >
    > > > Which VoIP provider is it..?
    > > >
    > > > Ivor

    >
    > ...hmm
    >
    > I didn't want my post hijacking!


    Eh..?

    > It's Sipgate.


    Sometimes there are gateway or routing problems which are hard to tie down
    to any one system. That's the problem with VoIP, there are so many
    different interconnecting systems that can go wrong, from the end user's
    PC or ATA to a provider's server. It's hard to tell which system is at
    fault sometimes. When the fault is put right, sometimes one network can
    take longer than another to realise it, which is probably why you could
    call from one system and not another.

    Not much help, probably, but it's all I can think of..!

    Ivor
     
    Ivor Jones, Sep 26, 2005
    #4
  5. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    ||||| [snip]
    |||||
    ||||| Which VoIP provider is it..?
    |||||
    ||| ...hmm
    |||
    ||| I didn't want my post hijacking!
    ||
    || Eh..?
    ||

    I hadn't meant to suggest you were hijacking it - I had meant that I didn't
    want the Sipgate-Bashers getting involved.
     
    Jono, Sep 26, 2005
    #5
  6. Jono

    Roly Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    news:4VWZe.116089$...
    > SIP to SIP calls = fine
    >
    > SIP to PSTN calls = fine
    >
    > 18866 Prefix on BT line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    >
    > Telewest line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    >
    > Orange to my Geographic VOIP number = "number not in use"
    >
    > BT to my Geographic VOIP number = Dead tone
    >
    > Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP supplier, or BT?
    >
    >


    Has this always been the situation or a new problem? Could simply be that
    your voip number is in a range not been updated onto internal by Orange or
    (suprisingly mind) BT. If you post the STD code of your number I'm sure
    there are folk here who could tell you if it is a new range or not......

    Roly
     
    Roly, Sep 26, 2005
    #6
  7. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Roly wrote:
    || "Jono" <> wrote in message
    || news:4VWZe.116089$...
    ||| SIP to SIP calls = fine
    |||
    ||| SIP to PSTN calls = fine
    |||
    ||| 18866 Prefix on BT line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    |||
    ||| Telewest line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    |||
    ||| Orange to my Geographic VOIP number = "number not in use"
    |||
    ||| BT to my Geographic VOIP number = Dead tone
    |||
    ||| Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP supplier, or BT?
    |||
    |||
    ||
    || Has this always been the situation or a new problem? Could simply be
    || that your voip number is in a range not been updated onto internal
    || by Orange or (suprisingly mind) BT. If you post the STD code of your
    || number I'm sure there are folk here who could tell you if it is a
    || new range or not......
    ||
    || Roly

    Hi Roly,

    It's a brand new issue - been all day today.

    The Sipgate numbers in question (01274 9xxxxx) have been fine for
    months.........
     
    Jono, Sep 26, 2005
    #7
  8. Jono

    Roly Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    news:erZZe.116233$...
    >
    > Hi Roly,
    >
    > It's a brand new issue - been all day today.
    >
    > The Sipgate numbers in question (01274 9xxxxx) have been fine for
    > months.........


    Certainly a strange one then! Ivor's reply of maybe some providers differing
    response to updating their systems after resolution of fault sounds the most
    plausable to me in that case.

    Roly.
     
    Roly, Sep 26, 2005
    #8
  9. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    || "Jono" <> wrote in message
    || news:KbXZe.116101$
    ||| Ivor Jones wrote:
    ||||| "Jono" <> wrote in message
    ||||| news:4VWZe.116089$
    |||||
    ||||| [snip]
    |||||
    |||||| Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP
    |||||| supplier, or BT?
    |||||
    ||||| Which VoIP provider is it..?
    |||||
    ||||| Ivor
    |||
    ||| ...hmm
    |||
    ||| I didn't want my post hijacking!
    ||
    || Eh..?
    ||
    ||| It's Sipgate.
    ||
    || Sometimes there are gateway or routing problems which are hard to
    || tie down to any one system. That's the problem with VoIP, there are
    || so many different interconnecting systems that can go wrong, from
    || the end user's PC or ATA to a provider's server. It's hard to tell
    || which system is at fault sometimes. When the fault is put right,
    || sometimes one network can take longer than another to realise it,
    || which is probably why you could call from one system and not another.
    ||
    || Not much help, probably, but it's all I can think of..!
    ||
    || Ivor

    thanks for the reply.

    I've sent an email to Sipgate. I dare say it'll all come back to life soon.
     
    Jono, Sep 26, 2005
    #9
  10. Jono wrote:
    > Ivor Jones wrote:
    > || "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > || news:KbXZe.116101$
    > ||| Ivor Jones wrote:
    > ||||| "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > ||||| news:4VWZe.116089$
    > |||||
    > ||||| [snip]
    > |||||
    > |||||| Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP
    > |||||| supplier, or BT?
    > |||||
    > ||||| Which VoIP provider is it..?
    > |||||
    > ||||| Ivor
    > |||
    > ||| ...hmm
    > |||
    > ||| I didn't want my post hijacking!
    > ||
    > || Eh..?
    > ||
    > ||| It's Sipgate.
    > ||
    > || Sometimes there are gateway or routing problems which are hard to
    > || tie down to any one system. That's the problem with VoIP, there are
    > || so many different interconnecting systems that can go wrong, from
    > || the end user's PC or ATA to a provider's server. It's hard to tell
    > || which system is at fault sometimes. When the fault is put right,
    > || sometimes one network can take longer than another to realise it,
    > || which is probably why you could call from one system and not another.
    > ||
    > || Not much help, probably, but it's all I can think of..!
    > ||
    > || Ivor
    >
    > thanks for the reply.
    >
    > I've sent an email to Sipgate. I dare say it'll all come back to life soon.
    >

    This did all happen before with Orange and 3 (at the same time), after
    phoning orange, they said they were having routing troubles.

    Go figure.
     
    Thomas Rankin, Sep 27, 2005
    #10
  11. Jono

    Linus Surguy Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote:

    >SIP to SIP calls = fine
    >
    >SIP to PSTN calls = fine
    >
    >18866 Prefix on BT line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    >
    >Telewest line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    >
    >Orange to my Geographic VOIP number = "number not in use"
    >
    >BT to my Geographic VOIP number = Dead tone
    >
    >Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP supplier, or BT?


    Tell Orange, your VoIP suppplier and BT! Don't mention to Orange or BT that it
    is a VoIP number, otherwise they'll get all excited and blame VoIP for your
    problems. When reporting to your VoIP supplier, you'll need to give them a
    sample Orange and BT number that has failed to call your VoIP number.

    Linus


    --
    Linus Surguy - Magrathea Telecommunications Ltd. Wholesale and retail telephone
    services. www.magrathea-telecom.co.uk www.uknumber.co.uk www.callthrough.co.uk
    www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
    Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
     
    Linus Surguy, Sep 27, 2005
    #11
  12. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Linus Surguy wrote:
    || "Jono" <> wrote:
    ||
    ||| SIP to SIP calls = fine
    |||
    ||| SIP to PSTN calls = fine
    |||
    ||| 18866 Prefix on BT line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    |||
    ||| Telewest line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    |||
    ||| Orange to my Geographic VOIP number = "number not in use"
    |||
    ||| BT to my Geographic VOIP number = Dead tone
    |||
    ||| Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP supplier, or BT?
    ||
    || Tell Orange, your VoIP suppplier and BT! Don't mention to Orange or
    || BT that it is a VoIP number, otherwise they'll get all excited and
    || blame VoIP for your problems. When reporting to your VoIP supplier,
    || you'll need to give them a sample Orange and BT number that has
    || failed to call your VoIP number.
    ||
    || Linus
    ||

    BT working today (and Voda), though Orange definitely isn't. What a task
    getting them to accept there's a problem (maybe) at their end. Incidentally,
    I can send a text to the number from Orange, just not ring it.

    In the last half an hour, the VOIP PSTN numbers I've told Orange about, when
    I try to dial them from my handset, absolutely nothing happens - as if I've
    not even pressed the send button. All other numbers still OK.
     
    Jono, Sep 27, 2005
    #12
  13. Jono

    Jono Guest

    Jono wrote:
    || SIP to SIP calls = fine
    ||
    || SIP to PSTN calls = fine
    ||
    || 18866 Prefix on BT line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    ||
    || Telewest line to my Geographic VOIP number = fine
    ||
    || Orange to my Geographic VOIP number = "number not in use"
    ||
    || BT to my Geographic VOIP number = Dead tone (came back on following day)
    ||
    || Who should I raise the fault with? Orange, my VOIP supplier, or BT?

    Orange finally accepted today, (at noon) that the problem was at their end.
    They had it fixed by 5pm.
     
    Jono, Sep 29, 2005
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Andrew C

    Wierd Problem

    Andrew C, Sep 5, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    584
    Clark
    Sep 6, 2005
  2. Greg

    Wierd issue.

    Greg, Jul 25, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,081
    Barry Margolin
    Jul 25, 2003
  3. zher
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    9,180
  4. joeblow
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,260
    Philip D'Ath
    Mar 14, 2005
  5. Sied@r
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    8,597
    Sied@r
    Oct 20, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page