Wierd Problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Andrew C, Sep 5, 2005.

  1. Andrew C

    Andrew C Guest

    I have a Linksys Wireless-B Router conected to a cable modem and four Win XP
    computers on the network.

    The problem is, after long periods of time the router will "disconnect" from
    the internet, and none of the computers will be able to browse the internet,
    or the network. during this time, the router and modem are both on, and on
    the computers, it is apperantly connected to the network, but cannot do any
    of the things i mentioned before. when this happens, i have to unplug the
    modem and the router, wait around 45 seconds and then plug them back in,
    then is everything is back to normal.

    Is there any way to keep this from happening? When i had the modem plugged
    into the wall and the router into the surge protecter, this problem didnt
    exist, now they are both in the surge protector. i am trying to keep from
    plugging the modem into the wall again, b/c there have been a lot of
    lightning storms and some people i know have lost their modems, because of
    surges.

    Thanks in advance,

    Andrew
    Andrew C, Sep 5, 2005

  2. Andrew C

    Clark Guest

    If you are using PPPoE, the connection to the ISP will renew every so
    often. The router has to be set to renew also using the Keep Alive option.

    Clark

    Clark, Sep 6, 2005